Felix, Wariner (injury) on Doha

Felix sounds Olympic warning with Doha double

Doha, May 10: Americans Allyson Felix and David Oliver sounded a warning to their Olympic rivals with fine performances at the Qatar Super Grand Prix on Friday.

Felix completed a 100-400 metres double while Oliver ran 12.95 seconds in the high hurdles, 0.07 seconds outside Liu Xiangs world record. Olivers time was a personal best and the fastest of the year.

Felix, who in 2007 became only the second woman after German Marita Koch in 1983 to win three gold medals at a single world championships in Osaka, clocked the year`s best time in both her events.

The world 200 metres champion clocked 10.93 in the 100 metres to better the year`s best of 10.96 set by Jamaican Kerron Stewart at Kingston on May 3. Jamaicans Sherone Simpson (11.09) and Sheri-Ann Brooks (11.14) completed the podium.

Felix, who also won gold in the 4x100 and 4x400 relays in Osaka last year, dominated the 400 metres clocking 49.83 seconds to improve on the year`s best of 50.47 set by compatriot Sanya Richards in April. Shericka Williams of Jamaica was second in 50.50 and Natasha Hastings of the U.S. third with 50.80.

“I`m happy that I could complete a double, like last year,” Felix said.

"Both races went according to my plan and I hope to maintain this form for the Olympics.

“Its too early to say anything about the Olympics because we havent had our (U.S.) Olympic trials yet. But I hope to get into the relay teams so that I can repeat my Osaka feat in Beijing,” she added.

Oliver, who won easily from American Joel Brown (13.38) and Briton Andrew Turner (13.41), said: "I didn`t expect such a good time so early in the season.

“But I`ve been training hard and hope to maintain this form at the U.S. trials so that I can qualify for the Olympics.”

[b]World 400 metres champion Jeremy Wariner pulled out of the 200 metres just before the start due to an injury during the warm-up and fellow American LeShawn Meritt won in 20.08 seconds. It was not immediately clear how serious Wariners injury was.[/b] There was a surprise winner the womens 1500 metres with Romania`s Liliana Popescu overtaking front runner Viola Kibiwot of Kenya in the final straight. Multiple world and Olympic 800 metres champion Maria Mutola of Mozambique came in fifth.

Bureau Report