Fasuba keeps cat in bag

African fastest man reveals fresh target for 2009 season

www.chinaview.cn 2008-11-03 21:48:21 Print

LAGOS, Nov. 3 (Xinhua) -- After a disastrous outing at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Africa's fastest man and world indoor 60m champion, Olusoji Fasuba, said his immediate target is the Berlin 2009 World Championship. 

Fasuba made this declaration after leading the quartet of Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps 4x100m athletics team comprising Uche Isaac, Chinedu Oriala and Ahmed Ajiboye to a first place finish in the invitational relay event of the just concluded Nigeria Police Games. 

"I'm actually preparing for the World Championship in Berlin next year, that is my main target for now," he was quoted as saying by the News Agency of Nigeria. 

According to him, he suffered a lot of injuries before the Olympics and two days to the Olympics, he sprained his ankle. 

"So after the Olympics I had to get myself treated and prepare ahead of next year. 

"My training schedule for Berlin is tough but it is a secret. I am working very hard but I can't let the cat out of the bag now," he said. 

Fasuba dispelled rumors that he was on the verge of dumping Nigeria for a European country, adding that with adequate funds, he hopes to be at the 2012 Olympics flying Nigeria's flag. 

"It's not true that I want to dump Nigeria. I only heard it on the radio. I don't know where they got their stories from. I can't believe people are peddling such rumors without a comment from me," he said. 

Editor: Bi Mingxin