Fastest/Greatest of all time!

Hi there,

What are the forums thoughts on the greatest 100m sprinter of all time?

Like to hear your opinions…for me my pick would be Jesse Owens for obvious reasons…others?

:sing:Mr.Happy:sing:

my vote is ben johnson slowing down well before the finish and raising arm too.

Bullet Bob Hayes!

My vote goes to Bullet Bob Hayes as well!

I will take the heat as well - Carl Lewis.

Jesse Owens was only world number one for one season how can he be rated as the greatest 100m man of all time.

I vote for Mo. 3 times World Champ, World indoor champ, Olympic Champ, most sub-10s performances. 5 years world number 1!

Lewis had 7 years as world number 1 but obviously only with Johnsons suspension. 91 was a close year since Burrell beat him everywhere but Tokyo.

World Number 1:

82 Lewis
83 Lewis
84 Lewis
85 Lewis
86 Johnson (Imoh?)
87 Johnson (Lewis)
88 Johnson (Lewis)
89 Stewart
90 Burrell
91 Burrell/Lewis
92 Christie
93 Christie
94 ?
95 Bailey
96 Bailey
01 Greene
02 - Montgomery

Jesse Owens was number one for two seasons. Remember he set 6 world records in one day in 1935- including the long jump record that lasted till 1960! (The 220yand 220y hurdles records also counted as metric records as the metric distance is slightly shorter.)

bo jackson

i know hes wasnt a sprinter, but to this day, he is the fastest human i have every seen in person.

BTW, Lewis was ranke in the 100 from 1980- not 1983.

i dont know why this wasnt stated before, maybe i havent read everything…

I feel Michael Johnson is the fastest man ever (not the greatest) because if you were to take his 200m time (19.32) and seperate it into even 100m splits (9.66) it ends up faster than the fastest 100m race (9.78) ever run. Since the first part of a race is most often faster than the second part Michael Johnson is undoubtidly the fastest man ever. :borg:

I believe that ben johnson is the greatest for obvious reasons but i really like his start and explosiveness, he had the entire package.

9.66 is a fast split, but correct me if i’m wrong, he never reached 12.1 meters per second like ben or carl.

Originally posted by prophet
Michael Johnson ran through the 100m mark in 10.12s! Your logic is totally flawed. U can’t divide the 200 time in half to try to find the 100 time b/c that would be like dividing 100m by 9.78s to find the top speed. The logic is flawed b/c u r finding the average time or average speed in the 2nd scenario. Johnson’s split from 100 to 200 was 9.20, which is b/c he was already at top speed and only had to hold it until the finish.

hmm i was all wrong! i know now, because he had a running start, he ran faster and so since he had good endurance to start with, he just kept the pace up. :o

thank you, i learned something today…

Ben gets my vote because he ran 9.79 at sea level slowing down 10 meters shy of the finish and he did it 15 years ago. That was so far ahead of the rest of the world at the time. Mo Green tied it on a much harder surface. Finally Montgomery hit 9.78. I believe 9.79 in 1988 was far more impressive than 9.78 in 2002. Besides, what would Ben have run if he didn’t rub it in Carls face? He is still the fastest in my book!!

Originally posted by primo
9.66 is a fast split, but correct me if i’m wrong, he never reached 12.1 meters per second like ben or carl.

oh, i guess i dont understand then why michael johnson wouldnt be the fastest? doesnt a faster time equal faster? or is it velocity?

thanks

TJ2K
Are we to judge times based on running starts now? The “formula” you describe was invented by Americans to try to take the Worlds Fastest Human title away from the obvious candidate at the time- who just happened to be a Canadian. Of course, once an American was winning the 100m again, that formula was put back in the closet for the next time the wrong guy wins.

Michael Johnson ran through the 100m mark in 10.12s! Your logic is totally flawed. U can’t divide the 200 time in half to try to find the 100 time b/c that would be like dividing 100m by 9.78s to find the top speed. The logic is flawed b/c u r finding the average time or average speed in the 2nd scenario. Johnson’s split from 100 to 200 was 9.20, which is b/c he was already at top speed and only had to hold it until the finish.

all I have to say is Donovan Bailey. Micheal Johnson was an awesome athlete but not the fastest man on the planet.

Fastest is something that can be measured, so whoever has the highest peak velocity gets that award.

Greatest is hard to pin down, because so many athletes have proven their greatness over the past hundred years through different eras. I can only judge on what I have seen, so I would go for Michael Johnson. Even if he never ran 19.32 (or the 43.18) he would have been in my books for his exceptional ability at both distances, so the records just cement it. Jesse Owens, to break the 6 worlds records in one day (though in 4 actual events) reeks of greatness too.

If you are tallking about the fastest. In the old Guiness Book of world records that I had, they claimed that Bob Hayes are clocked 1.1 second over a 15 yards segment in a race.

If you take the timing at face value that worked out to an amazing 12.46 m/s.

His 4X100m relay anchor leg that he ran in the 1964 Olympics was estimated to be sub-9 the fastest being 8.6.

Bob Hayes gets my vote.

Originally posted by hcl
If you are tallking about the fastest. In the old Guiness Book of world records that I had, they claimed that Bob Hayes are clocked 1.1 second over a 15 yards segment in a race.

If you take the timing at face value that worked out to an amazing 12.46 m/s.

His 4X100m relay anchor leg that he ran in the 1964 Olympics was estimated to be sub-9 the fastest being 8.6.

Bob Hayes gets my vote.

And on a DIRT TRACK!!