Fastest Aussie is broke

The program you’re referring is a little misleading and is not the basis of my comments. I inherited the hard drive which Kheml had his 400m and 100m programs on. I also knew Kheml when he was a high school coach at Waverly College 1992 & I can give a chronology of his CV from 1992 to 2002 of all his 100m runners.

So I think I am more than qualified to assert that Matt was training full time and wasn’t eating burgers when he ran 10.03.

If you did know Khemls coaching methodology - then you would know that he would mix sessions on the day to day feel of athletes, e.g if Matt felt flat before comp he would change the session or at least some components of it.

[quote="“kitkat1,post:59,topic:13420”]

Kitkat, do you think elite sprinters can/should go up to twice a day sessions ? Such as tempo on a high intensity day.
In the context of this thread, that is the point at which a full time job does become a struggle.

This could be a PhD topic: training full time is a matter of opportunity and necessity (perceived) but with all the best intentions fulltime training is not the best option for everyone. Some need the distraction of work or study - the intellectual stimulation. Work/study can also provide a pressure valve; can provide a safeguard against overtraining-induced injury, illness and/or staleness. But sensible programming can be enormously productive for the right fulltime athlete, at least in the short to medium term. However many fulltime athletes are kidding themselves into believing it is the only pathway to success.

[quote="“oldbloke,post:64,topic:13420”]

Some ppl worry that working 38hrs per wk is a lot and nothing can be done thats any good towards training.
I call that, and raise it to bullocks.
Working a 38hr wk esp when its an Office type of job is basically physically resting.
I have worked 38hrs in a physically demanding job and still run well.
Try working 7 days a week, 12hr days (84hrs wk) in a physical job and 45-60min travel each way. I still found 20min each day to train in a gym AND improve. A Wife helps (food).

a 38hr wk, working on a computer can easily become a Rest distraction for a hard working 2x per day athlete. Not only that, they will be able to afford Physio, massage and other therapys. Also, the $$ to attend CF.com seminars and dvds etc that are invaluable. So long as they dont waste the $$ on cars etc they will be fine.

[quote="“boldwarrior,post:5,topic:43080”]

and you were a world class athlete while living this lifestyle? Wow. Which event?

You would also know that a program must be submitted so many months ahead or no funding, this is what was left behind, do you really think if it was worth much he would leave it behind.

I used to see him while training Shirvo and crew at Narrabeen, they had a set routine of drills at the start of each session. I used to see him once ar twice a fortnight and it suited him to meet whike he was training. I later got Michael Khmel to coach at a clinic in Newcastle for me, it was open to anyone, I did not apply for or receive funding and I paid all the bills.

What I noticed the most was they different way he coached at the clinic.

Michael got the job ay NSWIS because he had just finished a traineeship with Smith, Keith Connor was in charge. If he did go to Tellez then that explaines the huge difference between what I was expecting and what was taught, almost a speed dynamics course with a Russian accent. I suggest he knew he was leaving well before he did.

I kon’t know who Alozies is but I sure as hell knew who Matt Shirvington and Darren Clark were. Something to do with the media is missing.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this, but as it pertains (last sentence) to the media “something is missing” I would say simply that the Athletics Federation in Australia has no idea whatsoever of how the media works with the sport.

There seems to be a notion that it is the media’s job to cover their sport. Wrong!

Coverage of athletics, at least as I understand it (outside of Britain), has always depended absolutely and completely on whether some individual reporter happens to be interested in the sport. If they are, their editor will humour them by allowing the occasional piece, so long as his (the sports editors are almost always men) reporter continues to file footy and horse racing stories, and something on a “proper” summer sport such as baseball or cricket. Anything that draws a good crowd.

Most editors think providing coverage of Olympics sports is a waste of space, a total pain in the rear-end because it means they have even less space to devote to the big-money, crowd-drawing men’s team sports.

In fact, most editors wouldn’t go so far as to even “think” about Olympic sports until a bona fide Olympic star hits their town, or when the Games are almost upon them and they don’t dare ignore them even though that would, for most, be their primary instinct.

Of course, they will always find space for anything Usain Bolt does and they still love a Ben Johnson yarn.

But after Marion Jones, none of them would know the name of a single female sprinter in the world today. But I suppose they’re not the Lone Ranger in that respect.

Oh and, by the way, you say you know who Darren Clark is? Well, give him his due and spell his name correctly. Without the final “e”.

Thq question has already been answered

I was a 2-3 metre worst thrower working full time then being a student. I was not an elite athlete by any means but I trained 3-4 hours a day plus did as much recovery work as I could. The first 6 months of full time work and part time study on top of training my distances dropped by 7 metres, I became a bit smarter with programming for me and improved.

Oh sitting at a desk is not physically tiring, but mentally I was spent most weeks. Which I have found to be harder then physically tired.

The problem is…in an ideal world, a 10"70 athlete deserves to be a pro more than 99% of professional soccer players…but have to face reality
Job committments are sometimes hard to be matched with training…do not know in australia…but if you work in the north of italy…you have to be lucky not finding a desk job from 8 to 18…plus…indoor tracks?what are they…track open at lunch,…or in the morning?please…reformulate the question…:)…so could be possible…but the sport system is not always on par.

I disagree. Quick high school students run 10.70. In 2009, there were 47 of them in the USA who ran 10.70 or faster. That is not a professional level, in my opinion.

Off course there are many, but always less than prosoccer players in italy…Here we have 10s of thousand of shabby pseudoathletes who get paid to kick balls around 3-4 times a week…to me its a shame.
In the…6th italian division you get more than a national caliber athlete.

Well in the US, its the race promotors that get sponsers and winnings gathered. It seems you guys need better sponsors.

I’m not sure it is as simple as that. Unless the federation is able to identify a purely philanthropic donor, then who ever is the sponsor will require an economic return on their investment. That is it does not only have to receive benefits that amount to greater than the amount invested, but also greater than the next use of those funds. As KK and others have pointed out, media exposure of the sport in this country is virtually non existant and what is present usually revolves around someone taking a pot shot at someone else. This needs visability problem needs to be solved before better sponsors will be able to be found.

[quote="“oldbloke,post:64,topic:13420”]

why the need to do it twice a day? HSI dont train twice a day they start there day at 8am in the gym… 10am track sessions normally start out the door not long after 12 on most days…

Wow.:cool:

Dumb Question Alert: So how did Europe become the place to be if you want to run and make money?

In other words, how did Europe come to cultivate the sport where as other countries did not? Is it because of the culture? Hell, it gets cold over there! If anything, I don’t see why hot places like South America, the middle east, or the west coast of North America are the places to promote lucrative track meets.

Easy answer: Europe has no other summer sports. They don’t have baseball, not much basketball on the level of NBA, no cricket.

It was more popular over there to begin with, on top of the points KitKat mentioned.

It isn’t cold in Europe over the summer and many of the places you mentioned can’t host many (if any) track meets late in the summer precisely because of the heat. Hence the reason why no Middle Eastern country has been able to make a serious bid at hosting a summer Olympic Games and likely never will in the current structure.

[quote="“nanny69,post:3,topic:43137”]

Wouldn’t two short sessions morning/evening be speed rich and a 4 hour session endurance.