Fascial Stretching and Structural Integration

Thanks, do you have a therapy background? Or just lots of practice!

I’m a soft tissue therapist.

So is AIS your prefered method of stretching?

Generally yes, but i use static, micro, PNF too.
The point IMO isn’t what kind of stretch you use, but how you use it!

AIS is more fast, simple, ritmic, secure and I combine it with myofascial release.
With hypertonic muscle i use AIS/PNF and specific receptor massage for reset tone (and fascia release always).

Use static with peoples with less flexibility or after workout.

Micro for rehab and relax/recovery on light or rest day.

I’ve learned more reading CF.com, buy CF products and reading Clemson too.

Bye!

John,
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town last week.

As far as the how the treatment has helped me, I really don’t have anything to add to what I’ve already posted.

I played around with the Feldenkrais stuff, but I think it’s more useful for warm-up. I really have not kept any of it in my routine.

The “Structural Stretches” book is interesting. But I wouldn’t rate it as a must have. I think “Autostretching” is a much better book.

Several weeks ago I promised to write an article on Guy Voyer’s myofascial stretching techniques (what little I know). Unfortunately, I’ve been so busy recently, it got pushed back. In addition, I needed to have someone take pictures of me demonstrating the stretches.

During my recent vacation I had my sister help me with the pictures, so I should be able to finally write that article and get it over to Rupert for posting. Stayed tuned.

:slight_smile: Thank you!

Cant wait, hurry up! :smiley:

I’m working on it. I think I’m going to skimp on theory, since I haven’t actually taken Guy’s course, and just focus on techniques. However, keep in mind that I’m not really a qualified expert on this (I only have three hours of instruction) and the only way to really learn it is through hands on instruction from a qualified instructor (you’ll appreciate this point when you read the article). However, since such instructors are far and few between, I wanted to share what little I know since there’s so little information available. I will try and have it done by this weekend, then I will submit it to Rupert and hopefully he and Charlie will accept it for posting on the site.

The hard part (description of the stretches) is already done and has been double checked by the instructor who taught me. I just have to organize the material and put together some background material to make the techniques easier to understand.

I need some feedback from the forum members regarding what they would like to see in the article on myofascial stretching.

As I’ve repeated ad nauseum, these techniques really should be learned in a hands on manner. However, depending on the coordination and stretching background of the athlete, some of the stretches can be learned fairly adequately through words and pictures, others cannot. Would you like me to go ahead and include those others, even if the descriptions prove not to be that useful?

I don’t want to overload people with information that they can’t use effectively. I don’t think anyone will hurt themselve without hands on instruction, but without real time feedback from a skilled instructor you might not get much benefit from some of these stretches (yes, they’re that complicated, as you’ll see).

Like I keep stating, I’m not an authority on this, but I’d like to share what I’ve learned.

Please chime in and let me know what you want included. Name specific stretches you’d like to see and I’ll include them if I know them. Keep in mind I only know part of the system, but I know stretches for most of the common muscles groups.

Flash, I know you are probably a very busy man, but I think with your therapy/stretching experience the more you can get into the article the better I think.

Dont rush it, take your time I know I for one will definately appreciate it! :slight_smile:

It’s almost finished. Trust me, there’s enough information in the article to keep you busy for quite a while.

The article’s finished. I’m just trying to figure out how to get it to Rupert for posting. The file size is too large to email in one piece due to all the jpgs.

Flash, you can use yahoo file storage:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home

Thanks. Ideally, I’d like to post it here, so I’m going to wait for Rupert to get back to me. If push comes to shove I’ll just email it to him in parts. Sorry for the delay, but I think you’ll be pleased with the final product.

Okay, I solved the technical problem and emailed the article to Rupert. Hopefully, it will get posted over the weekend.

Thank you very much Flash, why not print it and sell it! :slight_smile:

Olè :smiley:

Thank you.

One, I haven’t actually taken Guy Voyer’s course, so I can’t hold myself out as an authority on these techniques.

Two, that is SO typical of the fitness/strength coaching profession these days. Most of the gurus out there slice the balogna pretty thin and charge you for every snippit of training info. I refuse to throw my hat in with that lot. Besides, even though I have a strength coach certification, that’s not what I do for a living.

Any word when the article will be posted Flash?