Fabio's College Training Log

Alright, I need to get soem critiquing etc to my training. Right now I am getting my strength back and packing on some size in quality lean muscle mass. The college coach told me I could actually get faster if I packed on around 10-15 lbs of muscle, as long as it’s functional. I have been doing that so far, going from 141 june 6th, to 153 as of today. Right now I am just living in the weight room lifting as much as I can, I won’t start back up running until August, then I think I start college practice in october. The guy who owns the place I lift at has gotten me to finally squat right also, it sucks, but it’s worth it.

right now I do upperbody twice a week and and lowerbody twice a week, here are my lift selections

Upperbody Day:
Bench Press
Close-Grip Pull Ups
Incline Press
Seated Rows
DB Bench or Military Press
Lat Pulldowns

Lowerbody Day:
Power Clean
Parallel Squat
Glute-Ham Raise
Leg Press
Reverse-Hypers

I do a max effort day one day where I start out at 10 reps and finish off with a set of 4 reps the other day is a repetition day.

I do some 40 yd sprints sparingly to test my acceleration and so far I have clocked a 4.49, and I haven’t ran sicne the state meet (june 4),this makes me happy cause I know the muscle gain is not slowing me down.

Track PB’s
55m-6.79 FAT - out of shape
100m-10.7ht - 11.18 FAT
200m-22.5ht - 22.81 FAT

It sucked, I only had 4 oppertunities to run in meets with Auto timing…bleh

right now my goals are modest for my 3 main lifts

Bench Press-200 (i previously tested at 215 in march)
Power Clean-175 (previous tested at 185 in march)
Parallel Squat-275 PARALLEL (340 in march, probably wasn’t parallel though)

Id like to get these before i leave for college (august 17) which I can firmly believe i can.

have fun fellas,
Fabio

275 paralell huh. Man i’ve been donig it abit past paralell all along, now that i try paralell or abit above it feels strange, Mine Past paralell squat is 300lbs, i dont think its quite full squat though.

Keep it up man, i’m whatching you closely hehehe.

lol yea i think i have been going a little bit past parallel too, the thing is right now, not lifting as much during ythe track season really cut down on my weight numbers, Im gaining strength back rapidly now and wouldn’t be surprised if i go well passed my goals.

Tuesday-June 28-Lowerbody-Max Effort WEIGHT: 151 1/2
Power Clean
-3x6-145
-1x5-155*- next weel will be moving to 160-165 for the max effort set. What I do is, I choose a heavy load for htel ast set, and until I can get it up 5 times, i move on. I increase the rep sets weight about 5-10 lbs every 2 weeks, or until the load gets easy for me.

Parallel Squat
-1x10-200
-1x8-205
-1x6-215
-1x2-225-could of done more but fatigue from previous sets was immense

Glute-Ham Raise
-4x8

Leg Press
-1x10-270
-1x5-320
-1x8-180

Reverse Hypers
-1x10-140
-1x10-160
-1x10-170
-1x10-180

fabio,

Your exercise selection looks pretty good. Don’t be afraid to eliminate some exercises on any given day if you are getting tired.
I might schedule slightly less work…for example, I wouldn’t do bench,incline, and db/military press in one day. I also would not squat and leg press in one workouts (I’m not a fan of leg press anyway).

For power cleans, I would keep the reps between 2 and 4. Why would you want to do 3x6 at 145 when you could do 9x2 at 165? For squats, try to keep your reps in a smaller range. If you want to pyramid your sets, do like 10-9-8. When you make big jumps (doing a set of 10 then eventually doing a set of 6 or lower) you are working different energy systems and different muscle fiber types. You want to impose SPECIFIC demands on your body during a workout, not have your sets and weight all over the map.

Also make sure you are varying the intensity of your workouts. It may not be wise to train real hard on all 4 of your lift days. Maybe have a heavy then a medium day.

I know this posts sounds too much like “DO THIS. DON’T DO THAT” but it’s because I would have to write a book to explain the reasoning behind each point. If you want a good book on lifting workout design, get Modern Trends in Strength Training by Charles Poliquin. I think you would find it very useful.

What I’m trying to get at is:
-You can get excellent results training at a lower volume with higher intensity. Focus on a few core exercises (clean, squat, bench) and train them hard and don’t eliminate any “junk” exercises that just wear you out.
-You can gain weight by doing sets of 3-5. You don’t need to do sets of 10 for a long time. Believe me, if you train hard doing sets of 5(in your major exercises) you will gain weight and have better “functional strength” than doing alot of stuff at around 10 reps.

It may also help to do a search on Google for Dave Caster. His writings are very good IMO.

Also check this out:
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showpost.php?p=84307&postcount=14

Mortac, thanks for the insight, I’ll plan on using it in my training regime

here’s what I did today, ha

Wednesday-June 29-Upperbody-Repetition-WEIGHT:154 3/4
Bench Press
-1x14-145
-1x8-150
-1x7-135
-1x10-135
-1x8-140

Close-Grip Pull Ups
-3x10

Incline Bench Press
-1x12-135
-1x10-145
-1x10-150
-1x10-140

Lat Pulldowns
-1x15
-2x10
-1x8

DB Bench
-2x10
-2x8

Seated Rows
-1x15
-3x10

alright, if you aks why thebench press looks messed up, its because I got fatigued and after the first 135 set I took a longer break and then went at it. The incline prress is attahced to rubberbands on the top so the concentric portion is actually easier.

Funny, I haven’t been 155 since my sophmore year and I am definitely a skinnier 155 now then I was my sophmore year. I still got my 6 pack and look actually more chiseled then I have ever looked in my life.

Fabio,
I don’t know where Bolivar is but you should go to Columbus to see the Westide Barbell crew and I think Jud Logan is near you. I know he is a good throws coach, but he knows his lifting real good. The enthusiasm of WSB would get you jaked if nothing else. Hey 10.7 isn’t to bad for HS. Keep it up.

Good call on the Westside Barbell visit. I’ve talked with Louie Simmons (owner) several times in person and he is very helpful. He always has stories about how he gets these college sprinters whose coaches say they will never get any faster then after 8 weeks of Louie’s training, they PR massively. I’m sure he will tell you if you meet him. Going to see them for 1 hour at some point would be worth more than months of random lifting research on the internet IMO.

Bolivar is about 15 minutes south of Canton, Ohio and Columbus is about 1:45-2 hours away from me. i’M going to be going to college at Baldwin-Wallace in Berea, Ohio whihc is actually 10 minutes south of Cleveland, are there any WSB in cleveland?

Thursday-June 30-LowerBody Repetition-WEIGHT-155 3/4
Power Clean
-3x6-145
-1x3-155

Parallel Squat
-3x10-205

Glute-Ham Raise
-4x8

Reverse-Hypers
-4x10-180

-felt tired today so I really cut everything short, the Squats really killed me, repping out doing real squats is crazy, i thought i was gonna die, but it was worth it.

People remember this name: Chris Wells

the kid goes to Garfield High School in Akron, Ohio,he s of the 206 graduating class and has committed to play RB at Ohio State, here’s his numbers:

Max Bench-400 lbs
225 Bench Reps: 25
40 time- 4.3
Height-Weight-6’3 228
Age-16, won’t turn 17 until mid July!

this kid is going to make some serious noise at OSU. I’ve seen the kid play for 2 years, and the kid can seriously perform!

Those Numbers are impressive! And You say he can perform on field! Also what is his vertical jump?

Hey, cool, my name is also Chris. And I also turn 17 in mid-July. Too bad I cant Max Bench 400lbs or drop a 4.3 40 though:(

I’ll look for him next year though…

That reminds me of that Noel Devine kid. But 6’3" that’s huge for a running back.

yea no doubt, his dimensions all together are huge for a kid his age. Its almost impossible for high school kids to bring this guy down.

oh ea this just in…at a recent combine Wells recorded his weight at 235 and height at 6’2 2/3

people say he is going to be like an adrian peterson but bigger and a tad slower. The kid has ran 10.7 in the 100 before as well. He should fit OSU;'s offense quite well- between the tackles and ERY physical, capable of hitting the outside and very VERY hard to bring down. People will be forgetting Mo C’s frosh year at OSU very quickly

Monday-July 4-pperbody Max Effort-WEIGHT: 154
Bench Press
-1x10-160
-1x6-165
-1x4-170
-1x5-165

Close Grip Pull Ups
-3x10

Rubberband bench press
-1x12-145
-1x10-150
-1x8-155
-1x10-135

Lat Pulldowns
-1x12-plate 9
-2x10-plate 10
-1x8-plate 11

Seated Rows
-1x12-plate 10
-1x10-plate 11
-1x10-plate 12
-1x4-plate 14

DB Bench
-1x10-40 lb
-1x10-45 lb
-1x8-45 lb
-1x5-50 lb

Fabio,
What sports are you participating in? What kind of lifting on what days? What kind of agilities (if needed) running, etc? People post on here wanting help, but you need to be organized initially. I can see where some people won’t even bother assissting if you don’t have a game plan. What is your height? Etcetera. If nothing else, look for a good coach in your area.

I’m 5’7 currently 154, I won’t be starting GPP until the start of August, right now I am lifting gettign stronger etc, doing 4 days a week with 1 upperbody max effort, 1 lower body max effort, and a lower and upper boy repetition day. I am just going to be doing track in college (55m, 300m indoors, 100-200m outdoors and hopefully some relays) the GPP is still in the works. The college program is more or less a baylor type- long to short program. There official practice doesn’t start until i think september-october so I thought I could go thru a GPP during august to get a head start, here is what I currently have decided to do for the GPP:

Monday-Tempo/UB weights/ Med Ball throws
Tuesday-Hills/LB Weights/Med Ball Core
Wednesday-Tempo/GS Circuits/Med Ball Throws
Thursday-Hills/UB Weights/MB Core
Friday-Tempo/LB Weights/MB Throws

this is all the info i can think of right now, still sort of tired from my work out, sorry.

Tuesday-July 5th, Lowerbody Max Effort-WEIGHT: 153 3/4
Power Clean
-3x5-150
-1x2-165

Parallel Squat
-3x6-215-220-225
-1x2-235- fatigue

Glute-Ham Raise
-4x8 w/ 5 lb plate

Reverse-Hypers
-4x10-180

Wednesday-July 6-Upperbody Repetition Day-WEIGHT: 155 1/2
Bench Press
-1x10-155
-1x8-160
-1x6-155
-1x7-135

-felt weak for some reason, I guess it was the heat since the guys had me do a couple 40’s
with them, boy i’m pretty much outta shape, I am gonna start to do some tempo work a
couple days a week now, building my tempo base up, plus it will burn some fat off of me and I will be pretty lean (i’m lean now so)

Close-Grip Pull Ups
-3x10

Rubberband Bench Press
-1x12-135
-1x10-150
-1x9-155
-1x10-135

Lat Pulldowns
-4x12-10-10-8

DB Bench Press
-2x10-45 lb
-1x10-40 lb

Seated Rows
-4x12-10-10-5

I was amped to work out today, but my body wasn’t with me, at least it wasn’t after those
40’s, if I wouldn’t of done them I probably would of performed better, oh well, at least I
did some running, and it helped my training partners out, one of the guys I ran against got
under 5 in the forty, so I helped him there (i ran 4.5)

Oh yea, I decided that 155ish is a good enough bodyweight for me, if I gain anymore then I gain, if I don’t I don’t. I just feel that at this time, 155 is optimal for me.

Alright I gotta rant, I’m not the man who usually rants, but it has crossed the line. I have officially become A-Sexual, only liking myself. Why? Because I quit on girls, they quit on me, so what the hell, I’ll quit of them too. This one girl was supposed to hook me up with this other girl, and actually I haven’t seen the other girl since kindergarten (whaddya know?!) I was pretty jacked, cuz I saw a pic of this grl and boy she grew up since the last time i saw her (obvious). So I invited her out to the lake on Monday to watch some fireworks, but on the day we were gonna go, she bailed out on me, and told me next time, so I was like no biggie, I’m gonna be seeing her soon. Yea so last night, her friend is talking to me and she goes “yea so and so just hooked up with my B/F’s best friend, isn’t that so cool?” and I’m lke wtf? why would you say this to the guy who a few days ago you are trying to hook her up with? Is she trying to rub the fact in that I can’t have her now? then on top of that later in the convo she sed “yea me and so and so were at the lake last night” and that just set me off because they were supposed to be with me at the lake. Needless to say, I am no longer talking to those two again…EVER. Yea so I am so waging war on women, I had a nice streak going, but boy when there’s an up there is a down…I’m out

have fun and play it safe. And if you are a girl, don’t do what she did…if your gonna tell him that, be polite about it…please.

Thursday-July 7-LowerBody Repetition Day WEIGHT: 153
Power Clean
-2x5-150
-1x2-150

Parallel Squat
-3x10-205
-1x2-225-REALLY fatigued

Glute-Ham Raise
-4x8 w/ 5 lb plate

Reverse-Hypers
-3x10-180

Leg Extensions