Experience with the Omega Wave system.

I’ve searched here for any related experience people have had with this equipment and found some comments. Pretty much what I’ve read here and elsewhere has been positive.

What do people with experience with this equipment think about it?

Related comments, detailed experiences on the OWS would be appreciated.

Hello Pioneer, I was at a presetation by Jayme Netto Jr. Brasils current National Speed and Relays coach, very intelligent, very well prepared scientifically and also trackwise, his presentation, I can email it if anyone is iterested, is very CFTS like, anyway, I’m getting off track, anyway, I asked him how he evaluated the functional state of his athletes, and (considerin the resources he had at his disposal, he had 7 fisio’s with him at all times on the track) he mentioned that he evluated them via heart rate variations. I obviously asked him if he used the omegawave system to which he replied no, but that he had heard good things about the system.

I am very interested if anyone has any info or any research on protocols referring to heart rate variation and functional state in athletes. And any info regarding to the omegawave system as well would be most welcome.

Cheers

Alex

Omegawave is very interesting. One thing that concerns me is that the HRV readings vary quite a bit for certain athletes. For instance you can lay down and take the test 4 consecutive times and get 4 noticeably different results. The Omega (CNS) test seems to be spot-on though.

Overall I think it’s a good system if you have the $$$.

hey, is that using the Polar heart rate monitors? did he say what brand he used?

As with any technology it is how you use it that is important. As someone who uses biofeedback daily I think you will need to be careful to ensure similar conditions while testing each day. However, I’m sure with enough testing over a number of weeks you can use the system to good effect. Personally I’d like to test drive it for a month to see how it could help my coaching.

Mort,

How has the OmegaWave changed the way you coach/train your athletes or yourself? What does your data tell you?

exactly - a month of daily data, coupled with training data diet etc, would tell a lot. A one off would just lead to speculation and jumping to conclusions.

Yes, he did mention the use of polar heart rate monitors, however, here in south america, heart rate monitors are usually called “polars” sort of like calling all body fat monitors “tanitas”. but yes, he did mention this.

Guys unfortunately I forgot to mention the presentation is in portuguese, so for those of you with brazilian friends or spanish speaking friends no problem, for the rest, pm me enough and bug me enough and I’ll translate it into english

i would be interested to hear about the heart rate being used to guage current status to train. if he went into it much at all that is.

It hasn’t caused me to change much. It’s just interesting more than anything else. I’ve only used it regularly on myself and 2 other guys. The best guy seems to have good ‘readiness’ almost all the time and PNS dominance. The #2 guy was all over the place (turns out he had some fairly serious psychological issues around that time). Personally it usually says I’m “not ready”, SNS dominant, etc. It has allowed me to produce better times in training but that never correlates to anything for me due to the highly varied competition environments I find myself in.

I think if you take the time to use it, it can provide some insight but then again so can your eyes. I used it on pure short sprinters/jumpers so maybe the output would be more valid or applicable to a 400m+ guy as they always seem to demo on a marathoner or 10k case.

I think he’s talking about heart rate variance (HRV) not just a heart rate monitor. HRV is the variance between beats. HRV is what the omegawave uses to measure ‘cardiac readiness’ and PNS/SNS balance.

oh yeah agora você diz-nos :rolleyes:… Portugese? :eek: Haverá muito poucos aqui quem sabem aquele… :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you think it could lead to situations where the OW results directly alter the training performance? By that I mean someone arrives feeling a bit down on usual then the OW states they are in top shape and as a result they perk up and perform better than they would otherwise have expected? Of course the opposite could also happen.

Yes, I’m sure it could. Maybe we can make an omegawave alternate that just tells people that they’re awesome all the time:) PlaceboWave

that was part of my reason for asking that …maybe not all the time but certainly at certain times a little white lie may not hurt :stuck_out_tongue:

See, this is why I love this site!! Mortac, do you have any papers or research that discuss this phenomenon and how it pertains to readiness status etc… protocols or anything along those lines???

Thanks

I know very little about it. At the most basic level I think a higher HRV indicates PNS (parasympathetic) dominance and vice versa. I believe that is an extremely simplistic view though. Maybe try here for starters
http://www.cja-jca.org/cgi/content/full/48/9/859
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/17/2190

BTW, I could be misinterpreting what the coach/presenter was getting at. But just realize that heart rate variance is a different animal than something like monitoring your heart rate after each sprint rep.

yes, tis what i thought he was talking about, i have read up only a tiny bit about it and am hopeing to have some more light shed on it if possable. :confused:

edit.
haha, there it is just above :smiley:

send it to me as i understand portuguese.

PM me your email address