EXCITING As Watching Grass Grow

EDINBURGH, Sept 3 - An obsessive Scottish pensioner who has kept detailed records for over 20 years on how many times he has cut the grass spoke today of his surprise to find them published in a major study on climate change.
David Grisenthwaite, 77, found the grass really is greener after making a note of every outing on his trusty mower at his home in Kirkcaldy, Fife, since 1984.
The grandfather’s data was so detailed it has been used in a paper on global warming published by the Royal Meteorological Society.
His records show that the grass-growing season has increased by a month - possible proof of a hotter climate.
The retired paper-maker said he began making a note of the time and date of every occasion he cut the grass simply for the fun of it''. Apart from his grass-cutting, Mr Grisenthwaite also records how much garden waste he shreds and memorises bus timetables for fun. I am a creature of habit anyway and I like to keep records for the fun of it,’’ he said.
It all started in 1984 when the Woodland Trust were looking for people to take part in a little ecological study. Afterwards I just kept on going. I would make a note of when I’d cut the lawn and, of course, when you do it once, you have to do it again.
And once you've done it for a year you have to do another year to make comparison with the last one. It only takes a second and it would be unforgivable to forget. Once the Royal Meteorological Society got wind of it they wanted the data for their study. They named me as co-author. I don’t see what the big deal is really.’’
Mr Grisenthwaite said his long-suffering wife of 39 years, Elspeth, 69, thought he was mad.
Elspeth is also a keen gardener and I just provide the labour really. She thinks I'm a nutter,'' he said. I have also memorised the bus timetables for Cumbria going back from 1920 to the present day.’’
Mr Grisenthwaite’s data is published in volume 60 of the Royal Meteorological Society Journal under the title The Grass is Greener - For Longer.