Excessive Warming Up?

As for myself, under this CFTS, I can only run fast AFTER I run 1 or 2 20m sprints @ 95%. In other words, after I do that, I feel as if I switch my CNS on; and it stays on for hours.

In order to do the sprints, to turn on my CNS without hurting myself, the warm up aspect (slow jog), and the dynamic stretching is long enough to warm up my 200lbs body (at least 20min); and this lenth depends on the ambient tempature. So for example, if it’s cold outside I take a shorter warmup and if it’s hot I take the longer warmup I made out for myself.

Did you mean to say cold outside = longer warmup, hot outside = shorter warmup?

I find the more fatigued someone is the more they seem to need to warm up (get ready) to perform. The fresher you are the less activation that might need to be required to perform.

When near a peaking period warm ups could be much less in duration than in heavier periods of training.

Following a standard routine is essential for warm up but each individual may vary it depending on how they feel on that day. Personally, I would like to help an athlete tune into their own body so they can decide through a feeling whether they are ‘ready’ or not for performance.

Na… I take a shorter warm up when it’s cold. For example I just stick to the jog to break a sweat then hit a few gradual 20’s then 1-2 hard ones.

The reason I do this is because if I sit around or take my time when it’s cold out I loose the body heat just from sitting around and taking my time.

Mind you, it needs to be REALLY cold out in order for me to make this adjustment.

Yea, that’s really it… Everybody is a different size, and eveybody warms up at diffrent rates.

I disagree and CF talks about this in the 10day taper dvd. During the taper period warming up etc may feel easier but the athlete shouldn’t change there warmup, this could lead to a disaster.

i almost fell coming out of the blocks in the trials, so i was assuming that it had to be worse than my finals start which was in decent form.

what i cant figure out is why my races are faster when i warm up less. one thing that i may have noticed is my best races come after a warm up then a big waiting period, so maybe im not fully recovering from the warm up? i no that my body recovers slowly in any full-body movements eg running

I always suggest to sprinters I coach is to have the warm up completed 15-20 mins before the race, then to relax and just focus. This ties in with the usual wait in the call room at championships. I’m not talking about major games where the report time would involve a much longer wait before racing. Your warm up doesn’t look excessive, just make sure you are relaxed in the build ups so you don’t waste energy. :cool:

i performed best when i warmed up for a very short period of time and worked fast. I listened to heavy rock music, ate something with sugar, and really tried to increase my adrenaline. I did this before track meets, football games, wrestling meets etc.

My coach had us do very long extensive warm ups that often tired me before i even ran. (I wasn’t in very good condition :slight_smile: ) Im not saying that his warm ups werent good, I just dont think they worked best for me.

maybe my conditioning is lacking as i havent done as much conditioning since my season began. i tried a much lower volume warm up today and it felt good. i have one more meet before the meet i want to run my best at so ill try the shorter warm up with more rest between the warm up and the rest. ill c how it goes, thanks for everyones input

I’m sure fitness isn’t the issue.

probably not, esp since im a real light weight so i dont have any of the weight issues some of the heavier sprinters at my school have, but ill try the lighter warm up this saturday and if it doesnt work i can just revert back to my old setup

Do whatever you need to do to warmup, the slower and less explosive you are the less you need to warmup.

yeah, my best this year is 6.92 in the 55m so its not like i run especially fast

I agree with the others, your warm-up looks decent and isn’t that long, I’d say it’s on the shorter side if anything.

If you feel like a shorter warm-up would help you run better my guess is you’re rushing through your warm-up and getting yourself way too amped. Are you pretty nervous and high strung on race day? You might be expending so much nervous energy in the warm-up that you feel burnt come race time. If this is the case you’ll need a “slow cook the goose” type of warm-up.

that could be it, sometimes i even get a premature adrenaline rush during warm ups. what exactly do you mean by “slow cook the goose” warm up?

Since you’re already buzzing you need a warm-up that prepares the muscles and joints but doesn’t over excite the nervous system. Rather than ramping up intensity you need to warm-up the body while calming things down.

Slow and steady is the key. Be smooth throughout the warm-up, take mini-breaks rather than burning through it in one chunk. Spread it out, think of a plane slowly climbing to cruising altitude versus one catapulting off an aircraft carrier.

yeah, i could try something like that… would doing something like taking a 5-10 min break between sprinter drills and runs serve that purpose?

That could work. It might even be in the way you approach drills, runs, etc. I’ve had athletes that go through drills and build-up runs in a normal pace in practice then come big meets they do drills at about twice the speed and take about 10 seconds rest between build-ups. They are just flying through everything.

With cases like these first I talk them down, get them to relax as much as possible, then I have them go through the warm-up in a controlled and methodical way. If everything has gone well they enter the staging area ready to run but in control and not bouncing off the walls.

ok, my problem could def be a mental thing, and im definitely more relaxed after the real abbreviated warm up, so ill try to take the best from both worlds. since at my next meet i might run three heats of 55’s and a leg of the 4x200 i might cut a little volume in the build up part of warm ups just because almost 400m of sprinting is a lot for me at this point of the season, thanks for your input