Enhancing Muscle Contraction...

Hi, If there was one ingredient in a supplement that enhanced muscle contraction more than any other, Which ingredient would it be???..

Originally posted by JimboUKdec
short term: caffeine?
medium term: creatine monohydrate?

What do you mean by enhancing muscle contraction- the speed with which muscles contract, the %age of fibers in the muscle recruited?

Pretty much both…

short term: caffeine?
medium term: creatine monohydrate?

What do you mean by enhancing muscle contraction- the speed with which muscles contract, the %age of fibers in the muscle recruited?

calcium is what I would say. Careful though…if you don’t have enough magnesium in your body you can get a heart attack from calcium supplementation. I believe Angela I. used to supplement with Calcium if I remember correctly from CFTS.

Proper selection of work and recovery are the best means of improvig recruitment. Beyond that, effective mineral supplementation is helpful in promoting muscle relaxation both between firings and between sessions. The best I’ve found is ZMA. (We didn’t have this when I was coaching in the old days). The better the muscles relax/recover, the better thay work when needed. It also appears that Zinc depletion is a down-regulator of Testosterone, so supplementation is important. 716 can explain all this better than I can. 716?

i also thought i read in CFTS that calcium was used by some of his athletes but you have to watch what other supplements you take in the time period with the calcium due to its interactions. I dont recall though how much and how soon it was used after a work out.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Proper selection of work and recovery are the best means of improvig recruitment. Beyond that, effective mineral supplementation is helpful in promoting muscle relaxation both between firings and between sessions. The best I’ve found is ZMA. (We didn’t have this when I was coaching in the old days). The better the muscles relax/recover, the better thay work when needed. It also appears that Zinc depletion is a down-regulator of Testosterone, so supplementation is important. 716 can explain all this better than I can. 716?

Charlie, Would you say ZMA is just as good, if not better than a Multi-Vit for an athlete??? And, Could ZMA be a substitute to a Multi-Vit???..

Originally posted by Charlie Francis

Charlie, Would you say ZMA is just as good, if not better than a Multi-Vit for an athlete??? And, Could ZMA be a substitute to a Multi-Vit???..

ZMA only supplies zinc and magnesium, so it does not replace a broad spectrum vit/min supplement. These minerals are better absorbed when taken separately from other minerals that might be present in a multi (especially calcium).

Agree with Flash

how can calcium be used to enhance muscle contractions? how much is needed and also what is the best kind to use?

Hi, If there was one ingredient in a supplement that enhanced muscle contraction more than any other, Which ingredient would it be???..

No, if there was we would all be taking it.
Supplements have role in maintaining substrates levels, which prevents fatigue and assists in recovery.

A heart attack? I think one has to mega dose for a few days for that to happen.

My Naturapath told me the other day they no longer supplement with calcium due to the side effects. I’ll find a bit more about it on what he means exactly.

Magnesium seems to be the Supp of choice as of late around here for muscle relaxation.
Go for Magnesium amino acid chelated - digests better

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=3341678

Edit…