Education

What was Charlie Francis education at Stanford? What did he study?

Charlie studied political science at Stanford. He loved history and his maternal grandfather was a history department head at the Naval Academy in Annapolis Maryland where is mom was from.

How about you SeaCashew. Where did you go to school and what did you study?

1 Like

I’m 16 so not too much yet. I am thinking about majoring in Kinesiology, but I am hesitant as many kinesiologists seem to regret it post graduation. Some sort of physiology or psychology most likely. In the sprinting field specifically it seems unclear whether or not one must have a degree to train athletes at a high level. From my limited perspective it seems as though success comes through an effective training system and networking. Charlie certainly had a better grip on the science and practice of sport than many educated specifically in the field.

I’m impressed you have enough curiosity to come on here and ask questions and analyze enough to have some understanding of what’s been going on. Degrees and badges and certifications are great but is there much innovation left in sport? Charlie layed out everything he did and well known science guys are talking about practices today that we were using in sport 30 years ago and Charlie was using 10 years before then. Learn as much as you can but from the right places, keep asking questions and get out there and experience as much as possible.

Charlie was fantastic, ahead of his time, however I would argue there is much innovation left in this sport and most others. There are still numerous individuals - athletes and unfortunately coaches who don’t understand exercise physiology and end up causing harm in others. At least a great deal of education must be done, however I also believe technological advancements, specifically in the realm of recovery will continue to progress such as our knowledge of temperature exposure, hormones, biomechanics, programming, massage therapies, autogenic training/psychology, as well as more effective auto regulation techniques. Ultimately the recovery and recuperation process is what leaves us with the physiological improvements and this seems to be naively neglected in many cases, I think it would be interesting to see highly precise biometrics regulating our training process in the future, IDK though. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate the good work you do with this forum.

Charlie was cool and like other trail blazers he continues to live in the hearts and minds of many. Hard to beat that influence. :star_struck:

We need innovation. We need to demand it and not except less.

Charlie was a pioneer. He afforded himself to do so.

Andrew Huberman, a Stanford Phd., is another pioneer who’s chosen to share his passion with the planet. His exercise “prescription” and his research backed “plans and recipes” are in line with what I was fortunate to be taught while I was a 20 year old athlete. Huberman’s created his platform to share game changing information for anyone to practice elite performance in or outside of sport.
I appreciate that such a young person understands the advice, appreciates it as that in and of itself is the seed for innovation. I like it SeaCashew!