Education of coaches

This is for everyone… I am curious to know what kind of an educational background you all have? I am curious to know what types of degree’s/ careers correlate with working in the sprint world. For instance, Charlie, what degree did you get from Stanford?

I think my sprint resime would look somthing like this.

Graduated highschool 1996
College degrees none
Certifications none
Has never coached at the highschool or college level

Career Status
My career status correlates to sprinting in many ways. I worked for both dominos and papa ginos pizza which involved the speedy delivery of pizza’s in under 30 minutes, before that I worked for an insurance agency called john hancuck in which I was given the highest rank available to the people who worked in the mailroom and was known as the delivery boy… as delivery boy I would deliver files to insurance agents as fast as I could, just like running the 100 meter, and once my career path involed working at baseball clinics for which my pay was “free swings” (from underhand tossed tennis balls) and a submarine sandwhich which started my interest in nutrition and diet among world class athletes.

As Charlie has stated that a coach’s best education would be apprenticing with a more experienced one. I think that experience is truely an indicator of knowledge, but in today’s information age and level of competition, I think that formal education in physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, biomechanics is needed to be successful.

Yes I agree. For the first time in my life Im actually looking foward to going to school. I cant wait to study exercise science. I am even thinking about buying the books for fun at the school store.

That is a good route. You will definately have an edge.

I remember buying the books in advance, (nerd at heart):smiley:

I have 2 bachelor degrees. One in exercie science and one in applied biology(used as pre-med). I found my studies at university a bit limiting as much of the exercise science field was based on aerobic exercise. It wasn’t until several years after the wall came down that strength training became more prevalent in North America. I personally have found that you will learn at a much greater rate if you go to the top sources. I have been to several Ian King seminars and bootcamp’s. they advanced my learning curve greatly. Going to Charlie’s seminars was also great. To talk to the best in the field, that is far better if you are looking for information that you can apply. If I had to do it over, I would certainly look for the great teachers in the field. For speed, Charlie is untouchable. For athletic preparation, my money is on Ian King. There are certainly other coaches who are also qualified. It may be more about the needs of the person who is learning. One coaches style may work while anothers does not. I can’t stress enough. READ! READ! READ! Expose yourself to as much as you can. Charlie" Tremendous" Jones said " The difference between now and five years from now is the people you meet and the books you read!" No truer statement has ever been spoken.

You need both theorically knowledge and practical experience.

Coaching

Level 1 (with level 3 the highest) in Sprints, Hurdles (I have no idea) and throws

Coach of wheelchair athlete and throwers
Assistant - supervises weights programmes

Have been advised to do level 2 - which is 6 months study and 10 days 8am to 9pm
I have learnt more coaching wheelchair athlete in 6 months than I have with abled bodies in 3 years.

Professional

Diploma in Accounting - finish degree
To commence professional body qualifications and diploma in financial planning in near future.