Early Season Meets

Hey Charlie, I know we spoken about this before but I’m curious how much did you change Ben’s sprint training the week of for the early indoor December meets? Did the total volume decrease or types of runs change (speed change drills, fly’s etc).

Very little change initially

Yep, I totally agree. I have a indoor meet week seven of spp the plan is to treat it as a practice meet and keep all the workouts as scheduled. I don’t see the point in changing plans for a early Dec meet.

Mon: Speed
Acc
Flys
Throws
Jumps
Weights

Tue: Tempo

Wed: Speed
Acc
Spilt 60’s
Strength End
Jumps
Weights

Thur: Tempo

Fri: Rest

Sat: 60/200

Just use the meet as a fast practice.

So what would be optimal overall?? Miss early season meets and stick to the programme untill comp? Or use the meets as training??

Depends on the circumstances and athlete level.
for a lot more info, get the SPP Lecture Series from the site store. It goes through most of the potential scenarios.

Yea I got that… great lecture.

The forum has always given me the impression that it is a little too risky to train through meets. So now are you saying that in some circumstances training through is acceptable (does this even include some max strength development?)? And what might they be?

Depends on the type of training (S-to-L easier, L-to-S more risky), athlete level, designed percentage of change from weights in the phase, level of competition (presumably none of consequence at first). Again, there is a great deal on this topic in the SPP Lecture Series and a simple answer here can’t answer it all.

There’s a lot there and you need to view it several times.

Some people think you shouldn’t race unless you are ready to PR.

Well I’m far from an elite coach, but I disagree with that philosophy. I think racing is a necessary part of training and it will help to lower times as the season moves on.

I agree 100%!

I think this is more suitable for SE and the 100m… I can often race into SE and 100m pb’s. But I don’t think it works half as well for 60m.

Yes, I’m about to pick through it as I’m designing my SPP. And you’re right, I’ve watched it several times and I always come away with several more points. It’s a must for every one on here.