Drills

I’d say:

• A skip looks definetely better
  • running A a bit too “jumpy”, while it is not a frequency drill, I’d like to see a bit more frequency. It will help with form, also.
  • straight leg, in the dedicated video by Charlie, the athlete doesn’t jump and the movement is a little more forward, you have to kick away the legs, in the video looks like you have almost only vertical displacement. Legs always straight, also.
  • in the B skips I think you focus too much on going high with your kicking leg. On the contrary, the first part has to be like an A skip, with the heel coming more toward the glute and then on the way down you kick the leg out by keeping your toes up. Height of the kicking leg is determined by your flexibility.

I think you don’ have to give up, absolutely. In just one week I see a lot of improvement. A lot of time before giving up.
Also, good development of the lower body, at least from camera, and very nice hip stability and core strength.

Because you can see your toe while the foot is in the air does not necessarily mean you will overstride, it simply means the foot will travel faster to make ground contact relative to cog.

Why are you doing these exercises?

What do you hope to achieve?

Are they helping?

What you are doing now is trying to perfect an exercise, while what you really want to perfect is the event.

So how does it improve your sprint/speed/100m?

Thanks everyone, again. I’m taking things into consideration.

Z, I’m doing these exercises as a warm up to my main sessions (after jogging and active stretching). It’s a progression into the main sprinting part.
They also help with form, and me personally having a knee-issue that came back again recently, the pain pretty much vanishes when I achieve proper form.
Hence my interest in getting these right, since I can clearly see how much they help.

Of course, this is not my only training… I’m doing a short-to-long for the 400m indoors (February ‘peak’).

Polite… :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Ok 1st I agree your A runs are a bit jumpy. 2, I definately agree you need more arms. Your barely using them. 3, I totally agree with everybodys constructive critisism. When are you planning on running and where?

Thanks =) I am doing what I can to improve things.

I am running in Greece, a couple of preliminary meets in the beginning of February and nationals on Feb.27th. (travelling back and forth from Milan)

Luckily I will be in Greece for a month starting Dec19th, because it’s getting COLD here… and there are no indoor facilities. brrrr… :o

Stefanie
Your a skip was much better.
try not to get overly stressed about it. You are doing a great job.
Feed back has been pretty good but you can not listen to everyone and you know drills are the corner stone to speed development and sprinting. Who told you that?
I am trying to get some drills filmed for you to take a look and for others to comment.
take care

Angela,
it would be very nice.
I’d like to see if possible also some less known drills, such as ankling, quick leg drills and C drill.
In the speed and strenght video the drills A and B are well explained, with a beautiful discussion about the dynamic and bioenergetic correspondence of those drills.
Other people may also have a look on youtube to drills performed by Powell and Sanya Richards. Also Clyde Hart has a good video of drills. But I much prefer Charlie and Angela perspective.

:slight_smile: That would be great Angela.

Yes, I was told by Nikoluski also not to get obsessed with these :o, which I am not, I just figured since I do them every day, I might as well do them right!

I agree there are lots of comments here; for the time being, when I execute them I just think to raise my knees lower (at hip height) and use the arms some more.

Another question I have is who are you training with when you get to greece? If I may ask? I totally understand training in the cold. Trust me I’m in michigan. Thankfully I had sorta a indoor track near me. I always had to go back to mich state or eastern mich to really train.

I train alone at this point, but I hang out with 2-3 coaches that I know, who help me out.
I don’t think you would know them, but one is Gravalos’ coach (national 4x4 team), we are good friends.
But now that I’m often in Athens, I’m meeting some people there too…

And Nikoluski of course … :slight_smile: I think we trained twice together :o

Why so much debate over sprint drills?

Maybe because is an element present in a lot of sprinting programs. Maybe because Stephanie, like many others, perform them every (or almost) training day and having a good technique is the right way to go (they have a purpose). Maybe because, without gettig obsessed, doing better is better than doing worse. Gerard Mach had a very good insight when he first proposed these drills.

A physio goes through a series of drills when treating injured bodies, all aimed at increasing the range of movement.

I have never heard of Gerald Mach, the only drills I have seen are speed dynamics and when I started using them 15+ years ago the athletes ran slower and started getting injured. Doing a drill for the sake of *** is a waste of time. I stopped using stretches and replaced them with exercises/drills and have not had an athlete get injured because of doing so.

I used a few simple rules, muscles don’t stretch, balance is important, start the drill slow finish the drill slow. Drills are a motor skill, running fast is a series of motorskills at speed.

CF.com is the best recourse for running fast that I have come across and a thank’s to nanny69 for pointing me here.

LOL! Let’s make it three then! :stuck_out_tongue:

stilljd_5, part of Charlie’s work has been influenced by Gerard Mach. It would definitely be worth having a look at the latter’s manual.

Myyyyyyyyyyyyyy pleasure!

Speed dynamics took several of Mach’s drills, and aded some crazy one. Charlie’s favorite was the suitcase! I remember on a visit to see him we laughed so hard about the suitcase.