DMA's New Coaching Journey - Master Aged Athlete

New Journal.

Previous athlete has stopped training to concentrate on his career and his relationship.

This journal is about a 43 year male, who came to me May 2015 with some issues. We managed to finally get it diagnoses as Osteitis pubis in September.

This week is his first week at training since returning.

Some background work

He has never done strength work, was a 100m sprinter and hurdler as a 16 year old and stopped for school and life.

He has been training for a month, basically doing what he wants. All I asked was three sessions a week.

After completing this month, we decided that would work on 14 day blocks that would include 3 running sessions and 3 resistance sessions.

The first block looks like this

Day Session Aim Session Volume
1 Monday
2 Tuesday Sub Max Speed 4 x 40m (accelerate 10m); 4 minutes rest
3 Wednesday
4 Thursday Strength *
5 Friday
6 Saturday
7 Sunday Extensive Tempo "7 x 200m with 2-4 hurdles (low); 100m walk/reps
8 Monday
9 Tuesday Strength *
10 Wednesday
11 Thursday Speed Endurance "3 x 2 x 60m (accelerate 10m); walk back/reps, 8 min/sets
12 Friday
13 Saturday Strength *
14 Sunday

Has the athlete done any other sports since his school day sprinting ?

Hockey and has kept active. He competed two seasons ago, was self trained, and cooked himself (hence OP)

His aims are sub 12 for 100 and 56 for 400 Hurdles. I am not sure of the conversion between 400 flat and hurdles, but off a 12 sec 100 he could run 52 low…

Can he, and will he, I guess we will find out in April 2017

.2 of a second per hurdle x 10 hurdles = 2 secs.
Gravity/physics.

All the best, enjoy the journey.

I disagree with Sady a little bit about conversions. Here’s my qualitative approximates, though my goto conversion for a decent 400m hurdlers is 3.5 seconds.

2 seconds slower if you’re the among the most efficient hurdlers in the world.
3 seconds slower if you’re good.
4 seconds slower if you’re OK.
5 seconds slower if you’re not very good.

Here are the PBs of the fastest 400m Hurdlers ever, though keep in mind that 400mH guys, at the time they set their 400mH PB, could usually run 400m faster than their PB, so the differential is typically larger than the differences in PB.

46.78, 45.11 = 1.67 Kevin Young (he was certainly a sub 45 guy in 1992 though)
47.10, 44.88 = 2.22 Samuel Matete
47.19, 44.71 = 2.48 Andre Phillips
47.24, 44.48 = 2.76 Kerron Clement
47.25, 44.90 = 2.35 Felix Sánchez
47.25, 44.05 = 3.20 Angelo Taylor
47.30, 45.06 = 2.24 Bershawn Jackson
47.37, 45.18 = 2.19 Stéphane Diagana

Thanks gents

So if he capable of 52 he is capable of 56 - as long as hurdle efficiency is okay.

To give you an idea of the athlete. I took some footage on my phone of his first acceleration session and e-mailed it to him after training, within 90 minutes he had downloaded it watched in Kineova and sent me a critique with stills of his sprinting.

The 14 day cycle we hope to narrow down to 10-12 days, but depends on his ability to handle the loads.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/darren.alomes.9/videos/10153575572742058/[/video]

I hope that link works.

Sunday session was meant to be 7 x 200m with 2 to 4 hurdles thrown in, with 100m walk recovery.

Actual session was 5 x 200m with 4 hurdles, with 200m plus 1 minute recovery

We also played around with some rudiments of 10 metres

Footage is over athlete clearing 60cm hurdles (1st and 4th hurdle of the tempo)

Was the athlete too close in the 2nd clip?

Not sure, he could have been, but I think it was more fatigue then anything else. Literally the first time he has gone over hurdles (other then drills) in 9 months.

Is that a grass track?

Hi Angela

Yes, it is a grass oval. Our track is currently being re-surfaced, and the owners of the track (the local council) have kindly marked up the cricket/soccer (football) oval until it the track is open.

Very lush surface, and well watered.

Small image of the Domain Athletics Centre bare track resized.jpg

Wow what a luxury to train on a track like that. Fabulous.

It truly is. We are very fortunate to have a number of good quality grass ovals within 20 minutes of the main track in Hobart. We also have great hills, and 20 minutes from 16km+ running trail - if that is your thing.

Yesterday’s session was a resistance session

Exercise Tempo Sets x Reps
Step Over Lateral Jumps 3 x 4 each side
Deadlift – Trapbar 211 2 x 6
Bench Press 311 2 x 8
TRX Fallouts 2 x 5
Step Ups 2 x 8 each leg
Bent Over Row 311 2 x 10
Pallof Press 2 x 3 x 3 breaths each side

He also did the following prior to the session

1. Mobility Warm Up
  2. Hip/Gluteal Circuit
  3. Bar Warm Up

Hip Circuit is as follows;

Bird-Dog x 10 each side
Fire Hydrants x 10 each side
Supine Bridge x 10
Clam Shell x 10 each side
Bowler Squats x 5 each side
Hip Hinge x 10

The hip circuit emphasised his weaknesses which are glute function and balance. He also has a hip issue on this left side that causes grief in certain positions.

Thursday’s session was

3 x 2 x 60m with 10m acceleration limit; walk backreps, 8-12 minutes rest/sets

Unfortunately I was unable to attend this session due to a work commitment, the athlete was happy with session and faster then he thought. He was flat on Friday

Saturday session was gym, and the session was as follows;

1.Ankle Split Jumps 4 x 10
2a. Back Squat 2 x 5
2b. Lat Pulldown 411 2 x
2c. 2 Arm Farmer Walks 2 x 20 sec
3a Hip Hinge Progression - 3 2 x 10
3b. DB Shoulder Press 311 2 x 8
3c. Dead Bugs 2 x 20 seconds

Training last night was

4 x 35m (10m A, 10m H, 15m A); 4 minutes rest

First time this athlete has done this type of session, so struggled with the session.

Thursday session is extensive tempo session of 4 x (120-150-120); 2-3 minutes rest between reps and 4-6 minutes rest between sets. The recovery period is not a traditional extensive tempo session, but over time the recovery will shorten.

Picture was taken at about 6pm, ground was quite wet and starting to get some dents in it from soccer (football)

Saturday session was Weights

Jump Shrugs 3 x 4
Goblet Squat with Pause 321 2 x 6 (2 sec pause)
Chin Ups 2 x max
Dead Bugs to Rev Crunch 2 x 5
Hip Hinge Progression - 3 2 x 12
Torson Press - 1 Arm 2 x 6 each side
Glute-Ham Raise 2 x 5

Reasonably comfortable by all accounts.

Sunday we did a hurdle based session

• did some technical drills - athlete controlled
  • Rhythm work - practice 400m between hurdles stride length.

My take on the reason to do this. In the words of KitKat, cut the foreplay out.

Tonights session was an extensive tempo, no real plan but we went with 300’s at 65%. Athlete did his first rep at around 85%, and struggled to maintain. Ended doing 3 x 3 x 300m; 100m walk between reps and 400m walk between sets. Reason behind was the 2nd set he was more consistent and the athlete needed to hit a consistent time.

Athlete has 48 hours between sessions, so should be recovered for next session

Tonight’s training session was meant to be 3 x 3 x 50m with a 15m Acceleration limit; walk back rest between reps and 8-12 minutes betweens sets.

The athlete struggled on the first tri-set, so I dropped rep. The athlete was shot after the 2nd set (that contained the reduced reps to 2)

My mistake on the Tuesday session and the athlete hadn’t recovered.

I won’t say lesson learnt, as the likelihood I will make more mistakes. Take home lesson though, is don’t succumb to to athlete wanting to do more and ensure the athlete keeps speed to 65% on longer tempo sessions (happy with <60%)

Sunday training was 400m hurdle rhythm. In the previous week we had worked on rhythm between hurdles, this session was working on rhythm to first hurdle and three steps after.

We worked on his aim for stride length, which is 2.15m, for 8 strides to the first hurdle with a take off point at 2 metres and touch down point of 1 metre (we consistentle hit 1.95 and 0.95m)

All work was done on straight, with the next focus being on the bend (in two weeks time). Session including warm up was about 90 minutes. Not sure of how many reps the athletes did, but would have been at least 10 over about 50-55m per rep.