DMA's Coaching Thread

What times does he do for 30/50?

Don’t really time them but the last time 60 I have recorded he run the first 30 in 3.85 and the 60 in 7.47. Hand Time from first foot contact

Hi, can you enhance the .jpg picture of your training plan? Cant read it :slight_smile:

Short answer is No, but I will try something else over the weekend

All right!

Hermok, I apologise for not getting back sooner - family and friends are in the midst of a big bushfire (30-40% of a couple of towns wiped out)

I haven’t been able to get something better up, so below is a typed version of week 1 to 4

The program for each week is between commas. So the Monday session below is week 1 is 2x2x200m, week 2 is 2 x 300+150 etc…

Monday; 2 x 2 x 200m, 2 x 300+150, 2 x (3 x 50 + 1 x 300M), 2 x (1 x 300 + 3 x 50)
Tuesday; Big Circuit, Big Circuit, Big circuit + 3 x 100, 3 x 100 + big circuit + 3 x 100
Wedensday; Off
Thursday; 3 x 30m Sleds + 2 x 30m + 2 x 3 x 60m + 2 x 40m starts, Repeat, 2 x 30m Sleds + 2 x 30m + 2 x 2 x 60m + 3 x 40m starts, 4 x 30m with 20m run + 2 x 2 x 60m + 4 x 40m starts
Friday; Repeat tuesday
Saturday; Off (or do Friday if not done on Friday)
Sunday; Relay Practice

Week 5 to 8 (same formatting as post above)

Monday; 1 x 350 Full + 250+150 (30 sec rest), 1 x 350 full rest + 1 x 60, 50, 40 (walk back), 2 x 2 x 200 (2 min rest rest + full recovery), 2 x (300 +150) (2 min rest/reps + full recovery)
Tuesday; 3 x 100 + big circuit + 3 x 100, 3 x 100 + big circuit + 3 x 100, 3 x 100 + big circuit + 3 x 100, 3 x 100 + big circuit + 3 x 100
Wednesday; Off
Thursday; 3 x 80 In & Outs (8 mins)+4 x 60 (6 mins)+1 x 90 Block, 3 x 30m (3 mins)+4 x 60m (6 mins)+1 x 80m (8 mins), 2 x 90m In & Outs (10 mins)+3 x 60 (6 mins)+1 x 80 (8 mins)+5 x 30m Blocks (3 min),2 x 4 x 30m Walk back/reps+ 8 min/sets, 1 x 90m In & Outs (9 mins)+2 x 60 (6 mins)+1 x 80
Friday; Repeat tuesday on Week 5 and 7
Saturday; Off but competition on Weeks 6 and 8 (will choose the race during the week)
Sunday; Relay Practice

Hi DMA
Just been browsing trough your thread. I have some questions.

How old is your guy?
And why isnt he beating the 12 in the 100?
Its hard to believe a guy cant manage to run sub 12. I have only met long distance runners who couldnt do that.

As for the plan.
Why no weights?
also the volume seems a bit high(thursdays)

HI Pindaman

Thanks for the questions

The athlete is 23.

He should be running sub 12, I think losing 8 weeks of speed work has been the issue as well as technical issues with acceleration out of blocks. Other issues is he just isn’t strong enough for 100m. I think ultimately he will move to 800’s (his younger sister has been selected for an Australian junior team for 800 & 1500m). I also believe he does to much work outside of training, his family are old school do more work to get better.

To provide and indication of the 100m pace in the state, the fastest runner here is 10.95, and to make the final of the state championships you will probably run mid 11’s. This is the level I am working with.

There are weights, they are done after Monday and Thursday sessions, I just haven’t put them down here yet.

In essence the weights are set up like this

Deadlift or cleans + box jump
Squat or hip extension movement + push movement + ab
hip extension or knee movement + pull movement + ab

We tend to total around 16 sets, reps on initial exercise tend to be no more than 8 (4-6 normal), and second exercise reps depend on what it is, and the ab movements tend to be timed

The Thursday session is around 570-590m, not sure if that is high all not. But he seems to manage, but I do drop reps and sets if the athlete is fatigued. What volume of speed would you recommend?

Hi DMA,

I just noticed the volume and i dont know the history of th athlete. 600m of speed got me injured in no time. You’re plan looks a bit like KK’s blue print of 2days-rest-3days-rest training plan.
As a 400h I have experimented with the KK plan allot the last 5 years and it really works.
For me the key was to go for quality work in speed. Don’t be afraid to do too little speed work. sessions of 300m can work wonders.
your session:
3 x 80 In & Outs (8 mins)+4 x 60 (6 mins)+1 x 90 Block + weight
Looks real hard to do it at 100% quality. The in-out when executed well can make you really tired.
When the in/out is the main part of the session i might change it to : 3x80 i/o 8’ -10-15’ - 2x60 6’ (360m) - he might be more fresh for the weight.
What kind of wheather is it over there…I cant do too much speed over here as it is near freezing temps.

THe rest seems good. I really hate 300+ distance so i almost never do them except when i feel really strong. SO never in gpp/spp. But your guy might not have the psycological disadvantage :slight_smile:

Also i have some good experience using bw circuits (mentioned somewhere in the allan wells training topic) to replace ruinning circuits to save the legs as I have chronical calf problems.

Thanks Pindaman

Will keep an eye on volume, I think you are right about the volume, although he did manage the load of during winter. My one query about the winter load, was his injures caused by his stupidity or by tiredness from my part and him doing things he would normally do.

Currently we are in the middle of summer - last week it was 42 degree celsius with 12% humidity (and 40km/h winds) (37 celsius = 100 F), we average around 22 degree in summer and 22% humidity normally.

It is definitely KK inspired

How you coping with the fires?

Today is the first clear day in the capital, and thankfully it is only 19 degrees today, but we are expecting winds and 30 degrees in coming days.

A few people I know have lost everything, including a least one coach (Ray Quarrell), a few family members and friends had issues with their farms - but all got through okay.

The hard part in the Hobart, where I am, is that we had fires to the North, South, East and West within 100km, so we got the smoke pretty bad. The main fires are yet to be under control but have slowed.

All we need is a lot of rain - had none or no worthwhile amount for probably a month or more.

The weather patterns Tasmania had last week, is similar to what New South Wales and Victoria are having at the moment. I know Western Australia and South Australia have had a week or more of temperatures above 40 degrees C (that is around 105 F)

I noticed something in our national paper today about the fires in Oz.
What a devastation for your beautiful country and the people living there.
It must be a horrifying experience to go through something like this.

Ange.

The loss of homes (and life-have not heard of any yet!) is horrendous. I think most Australian cope with bush fire, as most native Australian trees need fire to regenerate. I barely slept for 3 days, as I was concerned about friends and their famrs- as no one had heard from them. Thankfully they are all fine as are their livestock and buildings (just), they just had no way of communicating to let us know.

The brilliant part is how our fellow human beings are there supporting the affected people. People are doing whatever they can, I read this morning a region in Queensland (Lockyer Valley) that was destroyed by flood last year (maybe 2011) is raising money for Tasmania (my home state) because Tasmania raised money for them. The Lockyer valley is yet to get back on its feet from the flood.

The main fire in Tasmania has been going for a week, and is not yet controlled - but it has slowed down due to wonderful effort of the fire fighters. A friend of mine down there fighting the fires said for the first 3 days they had 6 hours sleep. Thank god for our friends in other Australian states and New Zealand who have sent teams over to help.

This weekend the sports body is Hobart, is starting its appeal to help people from the sport affected by the fire, by raising money and asking them what they need to help.

That being said, I do not wish a disaster on anyone. I hope all CF members, in this case, from Australia are all okay. A few days ago Australia as a continent recorded the hottest average temperature ever of a tad over 40 degrees Celsius (I think the range was 25-45+ degrees throughout the entire country)

We will recover, but it will take time.

Just to give you a visual imagine of the fire. The cluster of buildings in the foreground is the school that was destroyed by the fire. The fire front had recorded temperature of just under 60 degrees celsuis and wind of 80km/h.

We are into the 3rd week of the GPP2

Week 1
Monday 2 x 2 x 200m; 2 minutes/reps, 40 minutes rest/set
Set 1 25.8 and 28
Set 2 26 and 29
Weights session
Triset 1 Deadlift 3 x 5 x 75, Kettlebell Swings 3 x 12 x 20kg, Hip Hinge Jumps on Box 3 x 5
Set 2 1 Arm Kettlebell Press from Bridge 2 x 3 x 20kg, Pallof Press 2 x 30 seconds each side
Set 3 Boxing Focus Bags 3 x 30 seconds

Tuesday Big Circuit

Thursday
3 x 30m Sleds with 15kg, 3 minutes rest
2 x 30m, 3 minutes rest
2 x 3 x 60m, walk back/reps, 10 minutes rest/sets
2 x 40m starts, 4 minutes

Friday Big Circuit

Sunday 6 x 30 metre starts

Week 2
Monday 2 x 300+150m (first 300m pace + honest 150)
Set 1 39 + 19
Set 2 39 + 21
Weights session
Triset 1 Deadlift 3 x 5 x 77.5, Kettlebell Swings 3 x 12 x 20kg, Hip Hinge Jumps on Box 3 x 5
Set 2 1 Arm Kettlebell Press from Bridge 2 x 4 x 20kg, Pallof Press 2 x 30 seconds each side
Set 3 Boxing Focus Bags 3 x 40 seconds

tuesday Tempo 300, 500, 600, 500. 300

Wednesday to Saturday - Athlete went camping with girlfriend

sunday - No training

Week 3

Monday 2 x (3 x 50m + 1 x 300m) aim was finishing 300 pace around 40sec

Set 1 300 time 41
Set 2 300 time 40
Weights session
Triset 1 Deadlift 3 x 5 x 80, Kettlebell Swings 3 x 12 x 20kg, Hip Hinge Jumps on Box 3 x 5
Set 2 1 Arm Kettlebell Press from Bridge 2 x 5 x 20kg, Kneeling Chop and Press 2 x 30 seconds each side
Set 3 Bent Row 2 x 6 x 50, Walking Front Hold Push Up Planks 2 x 40 seconds
Set 4 Boxing Focus Bags 3 x 50 seconds

Athlete did lots of walking whilst camping, but missed his speed session.

The Week 4 Monday session is being replaced by a Handicap carnival. He is entered in 3 events, 100m, 100m, and a 300m, so he will get between 3 and probably 5 races instead of the planned session.

Athlete is starting to understand that we have not done much specific speed work, and have been concentration (trying to) on maximum speed and back end 400m speed. I am hoping the plan means he is hitting 400 personal bests by State Champs. To make the final you will need to be running sub 53 - his pb is 53.63 - based on last years results.

I really loved Australia as did Charlie and we knew the southern part was suffering from a drought which I am pretty sure has not changed.
It is hard to imagine how mother nature can make life very difficult for some people and it’s pretty cool how when the going gets tough some of the tough get going.

[video=facebook;10151247637712058]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151247637712058&set=o.125190054161734&type=2&theater[/video]

Attempt

Start of two athletes.

cant see the vid…:frowning: