discussion on run ups and jump drills

Hi guys futher to getting this side of the forum up and running how about we discuss varuious traiing routines for the actual jumping and run up work. I would be keen to discuss peoples thoughts on this matter sincethere is soo much to talk about the 100m isnt it the same for long jump approach and technique?

There are probably hundreds of different drills for both long and triple jump technique. I thought I’d share a few for the triple jump, maybe adding a few for the long jump some time later.

• approach runs through the board from different distances, focusing on accelerating and good form (hips high, high knee lift)
  • take-offs for the hop phase from different approach distances, landing on the other leg and running through, focusing on “working over the board” and the swing leg action etc. (can also be done in a series with 4-8 steps of accelerating in between)
  • take-off and hop from different approach distances, landing on the same leg and running through, again focusing primarily on timing (arms, swing leg)
  • hop and step from different approaches, changing the length of the hop and focusing on the active pawing motion in the air and the swing leg, make a split squat landing in the pit or a run through
  • long jumps from different approaches using double arm action
  • step and jump from different approaches, again using double arm action in the jump and making a good landing in the pit
  • triple jumps from a 6-14 step approach focusing on all the technique pointers above, striving for a balanced and smooth execution (rarely if ever use your full approach distance in training because of the high mental and physical requirements - save it for the competitions)

There are also drills focused more on developing the strenght qualities and jumping power (using boxes, towing, weighted vests etc.) I’m not a big fan of these (mainly because you can do without them and the equipment isn’t always available) so I’m not including them here.

“… focusing on accelerating and good form (hips high, high knee lift)”

I am new to long jumping, but why would you want your hips high prior to take off?

Triple jumping is “a bit” different from long jumping. The main difference in the approach run being that you want to maintain as much forward momentum as possible to the step and jump phase also. Whereas in the long jump…well there is only the jump so a higher departure angle can be used (lowering of the hips during the penultimate stride).

I think he means “high hips” during the approach run.

Ok… otherwise you’re probably just going to overstride and simply slow down. Good sprinting mechanics do apply to approach runs in the horizontal jumps.

Anyways here are a few long jump drills:

• jumps from short approaches, concentrating on the rythm of the last steps, timing issues and take-off technique (bringing the take-off leg to the board actively from above)
  • jumps from short approaches using a box on the take-off board, working on the timing of the swing leg etc.
  • some people use tape markings on the track to work on the rythm or have the athlete run under a stick held at about 2 meters so that the lowering of the hips happens on the penultimate stride, or do lay-ups with a basketball to mimic the take-off rythm
  • long jumps over a hurdle can be used to enforce the vertical component of the jump

Anybody else?

I like a mat for a left foot jumper placed on the last left before the take off. The mat is about an inch high maybe higher (floor mat). So, when that left is on the mat and you step off you push through the right foot the board. When landing off the mat we increase the force and lower the hips all at once. It teaches rhythm, and a subtle dipping of the hips from a slightly longer stride. Now, this is also miss coached. The penultimate needs to be comfortable, not to long. Also To many people in the LJ slow down. We want to push right through it. So short approach run, land on mat with left, push through the second to last step (penultimate) then jump!!

For long jump, I like the following drill:

put 2 pieces of tape near the takeoff area about 6 feet apart (for a short run-up). The tape distance will vary based on the athletes stride length. The idea is to work on shortening your takeoff step (and reduce deceleration).

Run your short approach into the area and make sure your penultimate and last step are both within the tape boundaries. Do a takeoff/popup into the sand at X.

|| is tape

• is an approach step
    x is your penultimate
    X is your takeoff

so you go:

• *||x X||

drills for long jump
to keep the hips high at takeoff i do box drills
just take off …off the box and land into the pit from a short approach
it keeps the hips high and u can really work on your landing form too

i also like standing long jumps and standing triple jumps as simple as it may sound

for triple jumping doing bounding down the runway and setting up boxes/platforms to jump off of of diff hieghts gets the jumper used to the stresses of triple jumping from various heights

the big thing to focus on in the jumping is being relaxed for the last 5 strides out and the setup of the jump is huge.

To work on from do running drills or run!!!
To work on run ups…do run ups 6 - 10 reps on the track or the actual approach.
To work on the takeoff do run ups with a takeoff or take off every second step over a distance of about 40m up to 100m or do takeoffs over hurdles spaced anywhere from 3strides apart to 11 strides apart.
To work on rythm for TJ…bound (hop steps, steps, hops etc over 40m up to 100m)
For technical sessions do TJs from short approach or 4 hops + Jump from 6-8strides, or try HHSSHSJ from 6-8 strides.

Why would you do LJs with a double arm takeoff?

Haven’t actually used that myself, but some triple jumpers do that to work on their jump (obviously using double arm swing if that’s what they are using in their TJ).

I am glad that you have never done it…don’t do it is you will be wasting your time. By doing a LJ with double arm you are changing the mechanics of of everything else and as such not simulating anything. Step Jumps with double arm is cool but as for Long jump from the jump leg just takeoff as per normal i would suggest

Can anyone reccomend a worthwhile video on the subject of long and triples?

hey everyone this is great just what i needed. i would like to add what we do is simply take off againa and again workingout from the board 8 strides out 10 strides out etc once the quality of the free knee coming through diminishes then thats the point we work on until we can build up to a full 40m run up and put a quality take off on with no loss of speed and knee comming through.

my coach coached an 11.5 sec lanky high jumper to 7.67m with just doing these take offs and 1-2 drills as the long jump pit was frozen one year all winter and all they could do was take off and run out the pit. the drills are mentioned that is taking of every second step this emphaises the free knee seen on every take off when you pause a long jumper you will see what i mean like you are raising tour knee in hip flexion.

variations on this can be very light loading no morethan 5lb and taking of every second step and then every 4th step and then every 6th step and yes eventually after 18 strides you have a compotenet perfect takeoff.