Dietrich Buchenholz aka DB Hammer

Well, according to Charlie, strength training is to increase general strength. So, if DB’s methods do that, then that answers the question.

I agree, that DB should at least give out one name he’s worked with. In the latest Q&A, he writes a little generally on what he thinks strength trainers should do. You should read it.

For all those that are so ready to dismiss him though, why don’t you send him a question on his site. I don’t think he’s scared of answering you all. But maybe he’ll make a joke and dodge giving specifics…

To say DB is a strength trainer does not do justice to him…not at all.

I am getting stronger and fast, that is all :cool:

ISO Oly Squat, Clean deadlift and HF Abs all up 5+% since 10 days ago! :eek:

And best of all, my CNS does not feel fried and recovery is great all round despite sub-par sleep. It’s hard work though and a hassle to apply, but Rocking!

CoolColJ, how is your sprinting going?

I have gone through reading the entire thread today. And I must say that I am thuroughly confused, lost, and intrigued!

I would purchase the book, but 50 bucks is alot to pay just to get even more confused!

But at the same time I see CCJ is having good results so it makes me say “hmm…”

Like i said, confused, lost, and intrigued!

Could someone really, really, really, REEEAAALLLLLY simplify things for me???

G Freak:
What I would do is go to Elite’s website and read his articles then go to his website (innosport) and read the stuff, check out the Q and A and then try to decipher his stuff by reading all of the experiences that various people will have in the next few months. Then you’ll know if it’s worth the investment.

I don’t know your educational background but I’ve been reading current and past NSCA articles since 1991, gotten my b.s. in Exercise Science, read many highly respected texts on athletic development theory, etc. and I was VERY confused after I read his book the first time. Thanks to the Q&A, various threads on the internet, and Kelly (gig 'em Aggies) and re-reading his book again, I’ve developed a better understanding even though I’m just starting my own program this week.

This is not easy material to digest. Hang in there, though, my brutha!

Hakdaddy

All sounds just like Mike Mentzer. :smiley:
The disciples, the amazing results. Love it. :cool:

When you read a comment on a website, and in the background you hear the song “Controversy” by Prince, it is time to go cut the grass, rake leaves, or some other form of low grade GPP. We are lucky to converse on a website with someone like Charlie amongst others. The bickering is best left in an episode of Spong Bob Square Pants. My 2 cents worth.
DB’s info is interesting, but hypish. Let some of us experiment with it, and we will come to conclusions. acudave

Im still not understanding some of the stuff, in all seriousness an OI sounds like an iso followed by a tensionless eccentric in which you react out of the bottom? Ive always done my DE squats and bench like this(minus the iso). My new training begins tomm with the use of isometrics and the tensionless DE, along with depth jumps(im thinkin i could hold DB’s in my hand and release them upon impact…?)

[QUOTE=xlr8]It depends on whether you are working prime or pinnacle work capacity. For pinnacle, you would work at 100% (of your RM) but drop the number of reps (time). For prime you would work at 94% but keep the reps the same.[/QUOTE
How are prime and pinnacle capacity defined?

I know at least one nfl and one nba team are mentioned as consultation clients on the first video. Also, I know for a fact of at least one very well known nfl/all-pro reciever that CF has worked with in the past fairly extensively-I’m sure there are a number of others. I believe he has worked with that guy’s team as well. Also, CF has signed confidentiality agreements with many teams and individuals not to disclose his efforts with them-including a current world record holder. He has never been one to “blow his own horn”. I’m not here to dispute what others have been purported to have done only to support what CF has done and continues to do-there have certainly been more than Ben-I think many, other than those who have been on this site for some time, would be surprised at how many top athletes CF has consulted with and trained and from a rather wide variety of sports.

This is how I would explain the training system. This may not be perfect but is the way I understand it and may be a bit simpler (hopefully not more difficult :slight_smile: ). I would try to keep this part separate from the Auto-regulatory volume management system.

Nervous System
speed<------------------------------------------------------->strength

Muscular System
elastic<------------------------------------------------------->muscular

Training Methods
plyometric(pure elastic)<--------------------------------------->isometric

nil (bodyweight)<-------------------------------------------->100%1rm

You have speed at one end and strength on the other. Elastic at one end and muscular on the other. You will want to optimize the ratio between speed,strength, elastic function, and muscular function. Depending on your individualities and your sport requirements to provide the optimal ratios between those qualities your optimal training will vary. This is where the various strength deficit tests come in. For training methods you have pure plyometric at one end and pure isometric at the other end (pure speed vs pure strength). All the other training methods fill in the gaps between those. Even traditional training blends in isometric and pliometric movement with muscular and elastic elements working together - the ratio determined by the load and the individual. How much of what type of training you will need will depend on where your sport lies on the continuum(speed vs strength/elastic vs muscular) and your individual neural dominance and elastic vs muscular balance and weaknesses.

Volume Management

This part is quite a bit easier to comprehend. To keep it simple all you have to do is work by the rule of 1/3rds. Maybe it’s not perfect but is effective. It will take on average 1/3 the amount of fatigue produced by a training session in days to duplicate that performance (compensate) and another 1/3 in days to supercompensate. So if you train and make a 6% inroad into your initial ability, or 6% drop-off - It would then take you on average 2 days to repeat that performance and 4 days to supercompensate. This might vary a bit depending on the person but one can start at 6% on a 4 day frequency scale and make minor adjustments to find the perfect balance.

Fatigue can be calculated many ways. By reps, load, time, height, and others. The simplest way for strength training is to use reps to calculate fatigue.

Calculating drop off margins using repetitions

0-6 repetitions: yield a drop-off (fatigue) margin of 3-5% per loss of repetition
6-12 reps: yield 2-3% value per loss of repetition
12-20 reps: yield a 1-2% drop-off value per loss of repetition

Example:
Athlete bench presses 300 lbs for 10 reps in his first working set and establishes this as his “initial” or maximum effort for the day. He trains every 4 days so we apply the rule of 1/3rds and come up with a drop off or level of fatigue inducement of 6%.

The result for a working % drop off is either 282 lbs (300 – 6%)(load method of fatigue) or 7-8 reps (repetition method of fatigue)

The repetition training method would entail this athlete to lift 300 lbs until only 7-8 reps are attainable (repetition method of calculating fatigue), or to decrease bar poundage as fatigue is realized (maintaining 10 reps per set) until 282 lbs is left on the bar (load method of calculating fatigue).

This is how I started off using the system as everything else was very confusing.

When calculating the fatigue by other methods like load, time, height, etc simply subtract or add the fatigue % into the performance.

higher-faster-sports.com

Great post. Does that summarize the whole book? You saved me $50!! I’m kidding in case anyway thinks I’m serious!

LOL. Awesome dude!

Things that I have learned from this thread (Clemson, please add your own list as I’m not quite as creative on a Sunday evening):

1. Charlie is an extremely patient person to put up with all of the nonsense being posted on this thread. It took me a long time to sift through all the posts, and I think it is occupying too much server space given the benefit it is providing to everyone. What a waste of time.

2. If I want to sell books, get all of my buddies to put together false names and post on other people’s forums and e-mail groups to create controversy. People are sheep and don’t realize that “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.” Throughout the thread, people have dropped down the cash for the book. Has anyone had the improvements that were cited? Has your bench press double from 225lbs to 450lbs? Does everyone realize that this is happening on other web site forums? Can you say ‘virus’?

3. If I want to make a name for myself in the training world, make up fancy terminology, acronyms, etc., provide claims of improvements that can’t be substantiated and write loads and loads of articles (because I have the free time since I’m not really training anybody).

4. Proving my claims can be very easy - but why should I go through all that trouble. I’m too busy writing articles. I could name a number of athletes I’ve developed (not just working with, but developed from youth to superstar) and their training progressions. I could take some video tape and publish it on the net (very easy these days).

5. Make references to Eastern Europe to make my claims and credentials sound even more credible. You know, like I once rode in a Mercedes Benz (or Lada) sucking down some Smirnov before I went to the gym.

6. If you want to create a media frenzy, pull off Janet Jackson’s top. (Oops, sorry wrong thread - but still applicable on a conceptual level).

If this DB guy is legit, let’s see some results that can be verified. “If you can’t convince them, confuse them” seems to be his M.O. Better yet, let’s get him to post something on this site. Better from the horse’s mouth. If he is committed to helping athletes and revolutionizing training, here’s his chance. Why be selfish and hide all of your secrets?

Even if there are a few pages of useful stuff in this guy’s book, why the smoke and mirrors. I wouldn’t send any athletes to this guy if his writings represents his character (i.e. max velocity for more than 8 seconds???).

Time to move onto some useful discussions.

16 pages … gee that sure is a lot of sh*t
:smiley:

Apart from a few posts by Xlr8, Kellb, Charlie, CCJ, John and a few others trying to make intelligent dicussions on DB’s methods etc. the most of this has been, well … sad.

As Number Two said - most is a waste of server space and it takes a damn long time to shift through it all …

It’s interesting that probabaly the two longest threads here in the past 12 months anyway have been the Jay Schreoder and DB threads - but threads speculating about methods and trainers who tell little about their actual approaches.

I guess that’s why Charlie has a loyal following, he’s helpful no matter how stupid the question or how often he’s had to answer it and he is willing to debate a point in an unagressive style - which is not something I can say about DB or some of his ‘advocates’.

Dell Dell, Anti - As regards questioning Charlie in such a manner on his own site - well … I just regard that as simply disrespectful.

I’ve read the all Supertraining stuff over the past 12 months and again all that happened there was a whole load of space taken up with petty childish bickering that sadly didn’t do DB, his concepts or anyone else any good.

dcw23: I actually agree - the Mentzer thing is a good analogy - the improvements also could be explained with a HIT-type compasrison - anyone changing to a different concept should improve at the start… at least you don’t have to read that Ayn Rand book!!!

I agreee completely with Ricos post #165:
“I don’t think anyone disagrees with his system… But his public relations is a bit horrible! …From what I hear, DB Hammer always remarks “A study has proven…” without adding in proper references. I HATE that type of writing/talking. Normatitive statements have no place in professional publications.”

The longer this thread continues the more I’m starting to feel as skeptical as Number Two above (especailly point #2 ) …

Agreed!
I think we should also carefully consider and fix in our minds point 2 and act accordingly.

Can someone explain how the auto regulation system would be structured over a meso cycle as part of a sprint programme.

I’m assuming if you knew at what frequency you would perform sprint sessions you could use the 1/3rds autoreg principle, with a little playing around, to set drop of limits in gym sessions on the same day to allow sprint and gym sessions to remain on the same days to allow for optimum use of the cns.

What are the views of using autoreg in sprint sessions. i.e. in a speed endurance session setting a drop of limit from the first sprint and timing the subsequent runs until this limit. I know this is done anyway (or sessions would end when a run drops below a desired limit anyway) bur does anyone think that my controlling it purposfully it could be used in an autoreg style.

Mixing the two together (spint work & strength work) seems difficult but certainly possible.

And going back to how sessions are structured i would like to know how differnt drop off rates are utilised and why. Also are all sessions trained maximally with full supercompensation or are accumulated fatigue or anything else used.

Alan.

Read my response #103 on page 7 of this thread.

Okay i understand there are many variables to be optimised leading into a speed session. But imagine we are in a special endurance session say 3x200m and the drop off between the first and last sprint is measured could this be taken into account and used to set a certain drop off for the following strength session to accomodate the next speed session in 2-3days time if one was going to use the autoreg system to control their weights.

The reason i am trying to find out is if the autoreg system is proven to be effective and training is always done to full determined drop off followed by full supercompensation what would possible ways of using it effectivly side by side with a sprint programme.