diet, planning etc.

Should i have set meals ie no what im going to eat each day at what time?

Also i know what foods are good for me, but i have read on websites about ultimate nutrition and it seems you should have precise ratios of carbs, fats, proteins. And that you should eat certain foods a certain times ie pre training post training, night time etc.

LOL im stupid i know. Any help? Thanks alot.

It would be best if you propose a plan so knowledgeabel members can give you specific advice.

I don’t think you need to plan ratios obsessively unless you are a competitive bber/athlete trying to make weight for comp. But maybe analysing a food diary to get an idea of where you are at would be beneficial.

Search on this site and then ask specific questions if you don’t get something.

What are your goals? How do you eat now?

If you really are slow :smiley: you may be better off by spending the effort required for a very strict diet on other things, like training habits and other types of recovery practices. Obviously, you should watch what you eat, but very strict eating is very difficult. Start out with the basics, and as you get more experienced you can get more strict.

Yeh i am slow lol. I have a good diet. I eat pasta, oats, fruits, vegies, cottage cheese, lean meats etc. Since i am only 15 and a half should i not get to much into the science of eating and leave that till im around 18? I am a footballer [soccer].

To tell the truth, i would like to eat ‘scientifically correct’. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks alot.

We could debate over what is “scientifically correct” eating probably as much or more as what is the best way to train. The “correct” way is also going to largely depend on your goals, your individual metabolism, how you have been eating and training recently and even the season.

You still haven’t mentioned what your goals are, but here are some things that I think apply universally:

• Avoid sugar and hydrogenated fats as much as possible. NONE is probably ideal, unless you need the occasional cheat sweet to stay sane.
  • eat lots of veggies and fruit - RAW is almost always better.
  • the less processed, manipulated, changed and packaged the food is from its original form the better, i.e. fresh, raw, organic veggies are better than canned and cooked.
  • don’t shy away from protein or fat (other than trans/hydrogenated fat). The amount you need is going to depend on all those variables, but don’t over do it either. Don’t over do the carbs either.
  • fast food, for the most part, blows. School lunches might not be much better. Get your healthy food from the grocery store, health food store, or farmer’s market. Restaurants are concerned with making their food taste good while being as cheap as possible. Your health is one of their last concerns. You can, however, still make good choices when you are forced to eat out.
  • make sure you get enough essential fatty acids (omega 3s, CLA, GLA, DHA EPA, etc.), either through supplements or foods like WILD fish (not farm raised), flax seeds, nuts, etc.

Oh, and I don’t think you are too young to watch what you eat, just take it in stride, don’t try too many adjustments at once, and LEARN BY DOING. The knowledge will come with time, especially if you keep up your pursuit, like you are doing now. Remember: you have to crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

Congrats on being concerned with your health at such a young age! Now is a good time to develop some good habits. Once you start driving (fast food drive throughs :mad: ), start making more money, go to college and make all your own food choices for yourself it becomes much easier to make the wrong choices.

Thanks for the advice! At the moment i have 1 day of to eat what i like every 2 weeks. When i can, in about 2 months probably, i will cut it down to once a month.

One thing though about honey. Is it ok? I have read good things about it but im not sure. I like to have it on my oats and bananas, but can you advise if its ok?

BTW i live in Australia. I don’t want to go to college i want to go overseas at the end of next year, and try and make it into pro football. [Its a dream]. I have technical and physical goals. At the moment im training for max strength, but that cycle is almost over.

I will just continue with my current nutrition.

Looking forward to your comments about honey!

Thanks for the good advice.

Honey is ok when eaten occasionally in small quantities, but it is still sugar and not a very good addition to one’s diet…except maybe post workout. You should also try to cut back on your cereal consumption and replace them with fruits and vegetables. This will ensure you get plenty of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Hope this helps.

Ok i will quit eating cereal, and honey only sometimes.