Diet For Reducing Bodyfat

Ok, Bol with your goals.

References?

What’s bol ?

I specifically remember Charlie telling me his special nutritional system for reducing body fat: “calories in, calories out.”

If you are going to try the low carb route, I recommend upping your fat intake. Don’t try to replace the lost carbs with just protein. Protein is a crap energy source. You need readily available fuel. Try this, have a protein shake in the morning but mix it with cream or half & half. See how hungry you are the rest of the day. You should have a lot of energy and virtually no carb cravings.

For a fat loss approach that includes plenty of carbs, check out Ripped by Clarence Bass. When you see his diet written out, it looks like it only contains about 800 calories. However, in vol. 3 of the series, he does a calorie breakdown of the diet, and it comes out to something like 2200, which goes to show how inaccurate eyeball estimates can be.

Bol = best of luck. Search “John Kiefer” and Carb back loading.

I would lean coconut oil.

Nah I don’t think doing low carb would be wise especially since I do a lot of tempo, technical and game play for soccer. I guess I’ll just try and estimate and eat enough to satisfy my hunger and train at my best.

Thanks brah! I looked into it but I think I’ll just try to stick to a simple balanced diet and just try eat enough to fuel for maximum performance. Any guidelines you wanna give on that based on how many exercise hours you have, metabolism etc.

Yeah but calories aren’t that accurate in my opinion and grams are a better estimation and I have food charts of what I eat in college so that will help. Would you count once a week as once in a while or more like 2-3 days? :smiley:

Any guidelines he implemented with his athletes on how to eat enough to train to your best in your workouts while still doing this?

Ever used coconut oil in a smoothie? It’s interesting.

If you want coconut fat in something cold, use coconut milk. But for a smoothie, only use a little coconut milk (1/4 - 1/2 cup) and the rest water. Any more than that and it will sit like lead in your stomach. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Oh, I agree. If you’re going to count, count what you can see more easily. Weight is the easiest thing to measure. I would probably start with more frequency until you get better at judging, and then maybe once a week to course correct.

Yes that’s true and soccer players I think usually eat a lot of carbs and are quite lean, but I will trial and error to balance it out to just enough to perform best while still maximizing fat loss and lean muscle building with my strength training twice a week.

No specifics like that. I just remember him saying that in response to all the fancy diets and complicated macro manipulations advocated in the fitness industry. If you do a search you should be able to find his comments on diet. For the most part, he didn’t have a particular system. I remember him mentioning that Ben ate a more traditional West Indies diet, which naturally has a lot of vegetables and meats. He never had his athletes deliberately avoid fats. Basically, just eat whole, unprocessed foods, and avoid the obvious crap, and eat when you’re hungry, which is going to be a lot when you’re training 4 hours a day.

Yes simplicity is best and just listening to your body and adjusting to it and try to eat nutrition dense/whole foods for the majority of the time

This is what Trey Hardee does. He’s lean and a track athlete. Seems practical.

What about food? Do I need to behave like a cyclist and weigh out every meal?
Not at all, insists Hardee, explaining that his meal plan probably looks a lot like a weekend warrior’s with a few hundred extra calories added in. “My meals are real simple,” says Hardee. “I use organic when I can and eat foods high in antioxidants to help my body recover.” Here’s Hardee’s prescription for a day’s nutrition:

Breakfast: A bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, along with daily vitamins (more on that in a second).

Lunch: Because Hardee often eats lunch in between training sessions (weights in the morning and track in the afternoon), he likes a carb-heavy meal with a little lean protein, often something like whole-wheat pasta with turkey sausage and a side of broccoli. “If I’m still hungry after that,” says Hardee, “then I go to fruit, like bananas or apples, to fill in the gaps.”

Dinner: It needs to be a dish high in protein to help repair and build muscle, like grilled salmon or a bison-and-quinoa chili that has become a recent favorite of his. “We had a really good sweet Italian chili recipe and started throwing in quinoa to raise the caloric intake,” he says. “It’s unreal how good it is.”

Snacks?
Pistachios. “I eat my weight in them each month,” says Hardee. “That’s my snack if I’m watching a movie or just vegging out. They’re a good source of amino acids and have a low glycemic index”—a measure of how quickly the food breaks down into glucose in the bloodstream—“so they’re a great healthy snack.”

How do you avoid the mid-day bonk?
Hardee recommends a few sips on a sugar-free Red Bull. Seriously. And he swears it’s not because they’re a sponsor. “I lift weights in the afternoon for three or four hours, and if I’m feeling low on energy I’ll take a few sips,” says Hardee. “My blood sugar comes back up immediately and I won’t feel as bad.”

What about supplements?
Hardee takes a multivitamin in the morning, as well as flax- and fish-oil supplements. Which isn’t a whole lot compared with many world-class athletes. “I try to rely as best I can on the food that I’m already putting in my body for my nutritional needs,” he says. “But I can’t eat or drink enough calories to repair my muscles like I need to.” To augment, Hardee will also down a whey protein shake after a heavy workout. On non-training days, though, he says whole-food nutrition will suffice.

Personally, I have huge issues with low carb when doing lots of running and lifting. I crash, can’t think clearly, etc. I’m confident if I cared enough at this juncture and followed something like Hardee, I’d be quite lean.
I prefer beer, chips, fries, and wine too often though.

Ian King on the importance of nutrition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=890IYG-0ozQ

Good example lr1400 and Flash that video was awesome lol