Diagonal Summation

Dear flash
The original material is written, with graphs, was presented at numerous lectures- the most prominent in 1994 in Holland, with over 1000 attendees, and is, in large part, on the tapes you purchased which clearly pre-date any writings by Staley. I met with him 3 years ago, as a courtesy- nice re-payment.

Charlie,
Definitely send TC Luoma or Tim Patterson over at T-mag a letter explaining everything, and include copies of the written material if you’ve got it. Staley’s in trouble now and so is T-mag if they don’t cover their butts. I know you have a couple lawyer buddies in Toronto. You might have one of them write the letter. Also mention that Verkoshanski can varify the contents of the seminar in '94. He has the clout to destroy Staley’s reputation if Staley doesn’t come clean.

You might also want to ask Ian King to drop them a line. He does a lot of writing for them and he might be able to add some pressure.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I posted on the T-Mag forum. I thought I’d give Staley the benefit of the doubt and leave him and opening to give credit to others for his Diagonal Summation concept. Here is the reply that he posted back to me. Read it online at:

http://t-forums.t-mag.com/readTopic.do?id=286887

I’d like to hear your opinions now…

speedcoach
05/08/03
04:15 PM

Mr. Staley,

I read your article on Diagonal Summation. Very interesting concept. How did you come about such a change in thinking regarding periodization?

CharlesStaley
05/08/03
04:30 PM

Yeah, God knows how I cook up this stuff eh?! I guess I just have the ability to think abstractly and to link unrelated concepts. Or it could be that I just drink WAY too much caffeine. Either way, glad you like my stuff.

CS

God knows for sure how he cooks this stuff up. “We reap what we sow.” I am sure there are some lawyers who will in short time want to know how he cooked this stuff up. Where did he get that caffeine, I would like some!:slight_smile:

I also just noticed that one of the “administrators” of the T-Mag site is Coach Davies. Maybe he borrowed the ideas from him.

WoW I just so that and came back here to ask if it was you or Charlie. Wow Staley you think under the name speedcoach he would suspect it was Charlie or someone linked to him,and not bothering answering the question.lolWhen I saw that on the forum I laughed, could the name speedcoach be any more obvious.

I left a post as well. It’s not yet up as of this writing. I politely asked him about Charlie’s ideas on periodization and whether or not Charlie had any influence on him. If he denies it, he’s caught in a lie. I suggest Rupert watch the T-mag forum and print off Staley’s reply.

I think that not cornering him directly on this subject is underhanded, not too mention juvenille.
Flash, it sounds like you are being upfront and polite about asking Staley. If this is the case, I commend your maturity. :clap:

quark,
You can check for yourself. I posted under the screen name Sub10, under the thread titled Periodization the Works. It’s a polite, straightforward question.

http://t-forums.t-mag.com/t-forums_frames.html

Someone from here posted on the T-mag forum under the name YouthGoneWild. It was a pretty aggressive post. I appreciate the sentiment, but please don’t pile on just yet. I want Staley to answer my question, and if too many people chime in aggressively it’ll scare him off and we won’t get a straight answer (or lie) from him.

Quark, that’s absolute BS. Nothing I did was underhanded. I asked him a straight up question and gave him an easy option to provide any details on how he came about the idea. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and was hoping he’d say he has shared ideas with different people over the years. No one was trying to be sneaky.

He could have easily said that it was a collection of thoughts that he had been discussing with others. But he didn’t take the high road, and had no problem stating again that it was his idea.

I’m of the opinion that accusing him outright on T-mag under his forum heading is unprofessional. If you are so squeaky clean, why didn’t you ask him as you said you would?

If we’ve someone ruined your image of Staley, that’s too bad. He has been caught red handed. Admitting when you are wrong about something takes a lot of maturity. Apparently you aren’t up to snuff in this respect either.

I eagerly await his next syllable on the subject of “how I cook up this stuff”. Perhaps after some more caffeine…

I think that CS is still on the T-mag guest forum, if anyone wants to ask him about it. I might be able to, if i can get some problem sets done for my classes tomorrow.

Guess you didn’t get your problem sets done. Don’t assume you are on the moral high ground if you aren’t prepared to take action yourself.

Come on guys. Let’s cool down. Staley took credit for Charlie’s ideas. That’s the issue on the table. This has nothing to do with Staley’s technical abilities as a coach. That’s a separate issue.

I like to think we’re friends here. Let’s not start tearing at each other’s throats because of someone else’s screwup. Ultimately, this is between Charlie and Staley. To quote Barry Fitzgerald from The Quiet Man, “If you don’t mind, this is a private fight.”

Similarly, the criticism previously leveled at John Davies was specifically related to him telling NFL strength coaches that he trained Ben Johnson, which he didn’t. Again, the criticism had nothing to do with his training methods, which is a separate issue.

As flash said this is ultimately a fight between Charlie and Staley.

But, what if he (Staley) honestly believes that he thought of this himself.

I am in know why saying that, but if he thinks that way, he will believe he has done nothing wrong.

Flash, i am sorry if my post sounded hostile. I saw your post on t-mag and it was polite and to the point. I thank you for your civility and appologize for the lack of mine in your case.

I never thought you were being hostile toward me. Don’t worry about it. No apology necessary.

I guess Staley’s caught on the the fact that WE caught on! Those of you who checked earlier will note that he’s removed the answer he first posted about where he got his ideas for the article. Fortunately we’ve got a record here. I see there’s a shot at Ian King (T-Mag lets you write your own questions…hmmm). Nice.

“Remember when we first met a few years ago at the SWIS conference? I came up to you and handed you one of my business cards and said I would be honored to have you read my articles? You crumpled up my card, tossed it over your shoulder, then proceeded to kick me in the shin, curse my mother and reply, “Why should I waste my precious time reading bullshit from a no-name, snot-nosed punk like yourself?” OOPS, that was Ian King. Sorry, I digress.”

So T-mag doesn’t have Ian King write articles for them anymore?

The only normal person left there when it comes to training seems to be Christian Tribaudeau. Let’s just hope he won’t be influenced too much by these people.

I think T-mag is going to be even worse in the future. The new “T-nation” cult is really out there. The “Renegade” thing is just the same. I can’t believe the guys who fall for this.

I think the shot at Ian was a joke. It sure looked like that to me.

Staley hates Ian, and made that plain at the SWISS conference two years ago when he confronted him. Ian’s crime? He’d failed to meet S before the conference as he’d just flown in from Australia and slept for a day to be in shape for his presentations.