Deadlifts

I jump when I do a clean, on lighter sets my feet leave the ground a good 6+ inches. So there is always maximal force being exerted in every rep regardless of the load.

still there is always a build up of fatigue products in the muscles regardless of load.

don’t forget those guidelines probably apply more to full olympic lifts rather than long pull power versions

From what I know most olympic lifters rarely go over 70% in training, and even then they use mostly 2-3 reps. This keeps their form clean, while they load with things like pulls.

choice is yours train how you like

Kyle, of course you are right.

If you are having problems doing 6 reps of 60% for the purposes of mild CNS stimulation then there are three reasons for the problems.

1. You are not doing 60%
  2. You are chronically overtrained.
  3. You are not doing the movement properly.

I didn’t say I couldn’t do 6 reps, but doing doing 6 reps with clean form and maximal power output is.

I was looking at my speed squat vids - with the 135lbs with bands for 5 reps, after the 3rd rep fatigue was pretty evident. That was just 40% of my max back then. I’m sure I wasn’t overtrained, people who overtrain don’t make gains in strength and power.

Next time strap on a musclelab or similar power measuring device onto the bar when you workout and see how the power levels drop over the course of your 6 rep set

Well I have a hard time doing 6 reps with 135lbs on power clean even though I can powerclean close to 225lbs for a single with a shallow dip catch

after 3 reps things get ugly quickly, heartrate and breathing is skyrocketing.
Power cleans require far greater skill, timing and technique than squats. Its not something you churn out the reps in, it is an athletic movement.

But I am an high ratio white fiber guy so maybe that’s why. But since we are all athletes here, that should be the norm not the exception :stuck_out_tongue:

We could argue all day, but I’ll stick to my 2-3 rep sets and you guys can do your 6 reps one :slight_smile:
I’m a big believer in the quality of the rep

One more for the list after reading the above…

1. You are unfit… really unfit. :sing:

Just having some fun seeing we are arguing at total cross purposes anyway. :smiley:

I do my GPP thank you very much :karate:

If we only did sets of three, then 6 reps would seem a challenge…in many ways. If we only trained for sets of 12 reps, then 3 reps would seem difficult… again for many reasons. Training specificity is HUGE. We can feel challenged even though we are doing LESS actual work. It is like Charlie said: doing twenty 200’s at 26 seconds each is not as taxing as two 200’s @ 19.8 seconds.

I can power clean 290, yet I had a hard time power cleaning 190 for 3-4 reps. That was untill I added straps, now I can do 225 from hang for 5 sets of 5 easily. Straps make a big difference. When you start to fatigue in your grip the weight feels heavier and everything else feels harder.

THEONE - straps can make a difference.

I really don’t like adding straps until it becomes necessary or perhaps when we pulling.

My event does require hand strength-which I don’t have much off, so if I can do the exercise without them I will.

It probably goes against what alot of people do or say, but I won’t use straps when cleaning, and I give the option of using them for the pulls.

Generally only for reps eg >6 or heavy weight (which is usual)

Hello for all.
Some time ago, I rode Jhon Edwards’ weight training programme at 1995, the year of his awesome WR.
He spent a month( I think it was November) doing 36/75% at the power clean, hang pow clean, power snatch and hang power snatch.
Then, his PB at each lift was: 115, 105, 85 and 75kg.
Two weeks before his 18.29m triple-jump, he maxed 132.5 power clean, and failed at 140kg.
The progression of his weight trainig was:
over a month of conditionig, then 3
6/75%, then 44/85%, then 33/90% mixed with some short pyramids.
He stayed lifting at 90% and more too many time, but his lifts had a great increassing, he didn’t overtrain. Maybe it was because he lifted each 6 to 10 days.
I know at '93 he was doing sets of ten, going to failure in the power clean. It was 1x week, and another day he did 4-6 simple reps at 95-100%. It was an aplication of his coach, Carl Jhonson, of some studies published at late 80’s.
Well, it was some original, but I must say his strength at Oly lifts didn’t improve too many. Instead, his Frontal half Squat was seriously improved.
I belive he has been doing the 36 to 33 the last years, as his strength training protocol. Really, very bad won’t be, assuming his 150kg power clean.

I belive doing 6’s at Oly lifts can be very hard, dangerous, and improductive if you work with too many intensity or you do too many volume(you will be tired, your technique will go down, and you can be injuried). But, if you do 6’s with medium weights( high catches), you can work explossive strength, always looking for maintaining proper technique, working also your energetic system.
I use 3-4sets of 6 reps at 65 to 75% resting 2-3 minutes in power cleans at my first month of training, as a way of conditioning, but with power snatches( hang style), I never go below 4 reps. I belive I can work some conditioning increasing the reps’ number at a multijoint exercise as the power clean, better than doing something as more sets, less reps, and going for quality. But I never do more than 6 reps( one time I did 10’s, with lights weights, but it was disappointed and bored).
At this first month, I work more endurance and little speed. I do light plyos, a few submax sprints over 60-80m, and a lot of anaerobic endurance( well, I work also aerobic endurance, but only because my coach order it, because I hate it). The only maximum speed exercises I do are my Ol lifts. 6’s at power cleans and push presses( with medium weigths, I belive it results more a straight leg receiving position power jerk than a real push press), and 3-4’s at the hang power snatch. This last exercise it’s maybe the only which I perform 100% for quality all the year.
My experience is that you can do 6’s at the power clean wihtout being injured or slow, but I will not use more than 75%( my particular rule is that the weight I use must be a muscle lift- no leg bend or some little-).

At another hand, the hardest sets of 6 reps at Oly lifts I’ve seen was a weigthlifter doing 6/110kg at cleans. His best C&J at that moment was 150kg, at 77kg category, but maybe he could clean a bit more. He did it at his firsts weeks of training after summers holydays. This was only for “conditioning”, as well as over two monts later he did heavy sets of 1 and 2 reps, getting ready for a competition.
I now it isn’t common at weightlifting, but well, this is the anecdote. Don’t do it at your home, and only do it if you are a very experimented lifter.

Oly lifts are quality training for power, speed, coordination and relative strength, but I think you can also use some variations going for reps as conditioning work.

Thank you!

I will never use straps or belts - as far as I am concerned, if my body can’t lift the weight by itself, then it can’t lift it period :saint:

Yes I have an old school strongman/weightlifter mentality :stuck_out_tongue:

RE: straps and belts

here, here, CoolColj!! I couldn’t agree more. Though it is an old concept, i think that straps and especially belts are a crutch. Straps are less bad because grip strength is not really necessary for sprinters. However, i believe that belts hamper abs stability.

I know that on the old forum there was a minor flame war :frowning: about weight belts. I know that Ben used one. I am not knocking Ben or knocking Charlie’s views on the subject. I personally believe that a belted squat has never applied as much to the track as an unbelted one (at least in my personal experience). So please don’t start a flame war about this :slight_smile: