DavidG's Sprint Training Log

So yesterday was my second Division 2 BAL match for Southampton.

First event of the day was a non-scoring 100m, came up far to early out of the blocks and lost some ground at the start. But I managed to make up some of the distance over the remainder of the race to finish in 10.96.

I could really feel my hamstrings tightening on every stride in that race, definitely going to have to go to a physio soon and just get them to check it’s not something else causing the tightness, as I’d really like to get that sorted before we get too far through the season.

I then had about a 4 hour wait until the A string 200m, I did a fairly extended warmup for this after my tightness in the 100m and was feeling much more limber this time. I had caught up the stagger after about 80m and held the lead until the finish clocking 21.69, and while the wind gauge showed a 1.2 tail wind, there was also a strong headwind most of the way round the bend that it didn’t pick up. So the time wasn’t too bad considering.

I can feel that the speed is there, and I’m sure once I get my flexibility issues sorted I’ll be running PB’s in no time, it’s just frustrating that I haven’t been able to get near the 21.45 indoor time I ran yet.

The 4x100m didn’t go too well however, I was running second leg against Adam Gemili, and in my eagerness to keep up with him down the back straight I ended up outrunning the 1st leg runner, which was doubly annoying as our team could easily have beaten the winning time of 42.8 had we got the baton round. But these things happen…

It sounds like you’re close to running some PBs if flexible and fresh.

Here are the videos of my races last weekend…

//youtu.be/7VcOZQHIhV0

//youtu.be/g-pNE2SgPtE

Had another SAL match for Radley today.

Ran 10.85 into a -1.1 headwind, so I’ve finally managed to break past 10.90!

Definitely starting to feel like I’m getting into better form now, hamstrings felt a bit more relaxed during the runs today. Still didn’t get the best start, but I was able to make up for it more in the last half of the race this time.

I then ran 21.57 in the 200m. Wind indicator wasn’t working for my race but the one before was -1.7 and the one after was -2.1, so definitely a headwind again. Eased off with about 5 metres to go so certainly would have been a seasons best if I’d run through the line, probably not enough for a PB though.

But again, it felt like by far the easiest 200m I’ve had all season. Didn’t feel tired or like I was losing form at all coming off the bend. So given better conditions I’m sure I could have run a decent PB.

Typically I peak later in the season anyway, so this all fits with my performances from previous years. Still more to come before the end of the season!

That’s fantastic and we knew it was coming. Given a tail wind that would have been a pretty serious time. :slight_smile:

Monday 19th August
3 lap slow jog
30 minutes warm-up
2 x acceleration runs
6 x 30m weight sledge runs (25kg) 3 minute rest between runs
6 x 150m @ 95% with 5 minutes between runs

Monday 26th August
3 lap slow jog
30 minutes warm-up
15 minutes drills over 7 hurdles
3 x acceleration runs
3 sets of 4 x 80m @ 90-95% (3 minutes between runs, 10 minutes between sets)

Tuesday 27th August
1 lap slow jog
30 minutes circuit exercises (press ups, speed drills over aerobic step boxes etc.)
4 sets of 200m, 150m, 100m @ 85-90% (3 minutes between runs, 8 minutes between sets)

Thursday 29th August
1 lap slow jog
30 minutes resistance exercises, press ups, dips, medball etc.
1st set @ 85%: 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m (rest: slow walk equal to distance just run)
10 minute break
2nd set @ 85%: 300m, 250m, 150m, 50m (rest: slow walk equal to distance just run)

Saturday 31st August
3 lap slow jog
30 minutes warm-up and sprint drills
3 x acceleration runs
5 x 30m block starts @ 100% (about 4 minutes between runs)
3 x 180m @ 20.60s, 20.45s, 20.80s (12 minutes between runs)

Monday 2nd September
1 lap slow jog
30 minutes warm-up and drills over hurdles
2 x acceleration runs
3 x 120m 40/40/40 = fast/relaxed/fast (10 minutes between runs)
2 x 120m 40/40/40 = relaxed/fast/relaxed (10 minutes between runs)

Wednesday 4th September
1 lap slow jog
2 x acceleration runs
3 x flying 50m @ 95% (5 minutes between runs)
2 x 220m @ 95% (15 minutes between runs)

Saturday 6th September
3 lap slow jog
2 x acceleration runs
5 x block starts at 90% (4 minutes between runs) Slightly lower than normal speed to concentrate on foot placement and technique over first 5-10m.
3 x 150m @ 95% (12 minutes rest between runs)

Notes:
Today’s block session had much more emphasis on technique than speed. We had markers set out at intervals measured from the first block, which were my calculated foot strike distances (assuming a 100m time of 10.6, which is what I should be aiming for next season)

What we noted was that my first foot strike was fine, but the second two were coming up short by almost a foot of the desired position. I then made a conscious effort during the last three runs to just slow myself down a bit, and concentrate more on really swinging my arms and driving the legs forward (while keeping the foot low) almost mimicking an ice skating motion.

These 3 runs looked much more technically sound, and in addition to bringing my whole block setup forward about an inch, and also placing my hands closer together on the track (almost under my shoulders a la Usain Bolt) it made for a much more effective first 5m.

So I’ll be very interested to see if come winter season, this brings my 60m and later in the season, my 100m, into line with my 200m time.

Wednesday 9th September
1 lap slow jog
2 x acceleration runs
2 sets of 3 x 90m @ 100% to 60m, relax/maintain last 30m
5 minutes between runs, 15 minutes between sets

Did you find it difficult to cover the longer initial strides? Did your coach comment on your hip tilt at all?

I was wondering how long is your first stride and what spacing do you have between the rest of the strides.

The first couple of times I tried it was a struggle, not because I couldn’t physically reach them, but because mentally I was so used to my normal shorter strides.

The next couple of runs felt easier and less like I was ‘reaching’ for the marks, and just putting my feet there because that’s where they should be.

Honestly I’m not sure, my coach put the markers out for me. But I’m sure I can find out if you’d like to know?

Sounds like an awesome, fun filled session?

It was fan-bloody-tastic! haha Certainly felt that one the following morning…

Been a bit slack keeping this up to date, but I’ve certainly not been slacking at training!

As of the end of September, Mondays have been circuit training, followed by a 2.4km jog for the first few weeks. However the jog has now been replaced by plyometric exercises.

The circuits have gradually been building up each week, starting off with 20s exercise, 20s rest. With both times increasing by about 3 seconds each week to a peak of 32 seconds. However for each week after that, the rest has been coming back down towards 20 while the exercise time remains at 32.

The circuit is pretty comprehensive, including tricep dips, pistol squats, squat thrusts, situps, box jumps, back hyper-extentions, single leg step ups, lateral abdominal raises, 1 arm dumbell hang clean and press, calf raises, pushups and alternate leg squat jumps.

The order stays the same, but we do 3 sets, 1 forwards, 1 backwards and the last one the same direction but starting from 5 stations round the circuit.

As was the intention with the setup of the session, I haven’t noticed any actual increase in effort each week, even though the sessions are getting progressively harder. Since the beginning of October I’ve increased total bodyweight from 72.5kg to 76.2kg (11st 3lbs to 12st), although some of that will be water weight as I use creatine during my winter training period.

The session intensity has also ramped up, with reduced rest periods and slightly higher volume. We’re doing sled pulls over 30m roughly every other week, and on top of my track sessions which are Mon, Wed and Sat, I’m trying to make sure I get into the gym on Thursdays to do some heavy weights.

First available competition will be a 60m on December 8th, which I may do just as an early season tester to see where I am currently.

Wednesday 4th December
4 lap slow jog
30 minute warm up, drills and stretches etc.

3 sets: 4 x 150m @ Target 19.5s (8 minutes between sets, and a slow walk back + about 20-30 seconds between runs)

I thought that was going to be a killer session after doing dumbbell lunges, squats, calf raises and power cleans in the gym the night before. But I managed to complete the session and do all the runs in at least 19 seconds too.