Dangers of amino acid supplementation

I’ve read that Amino acid supplementation can be dangerous because the body is made to break down amino acids in combination. When we take alot of one type of amino acid we could be blocking the absorption of other important amino acids becuase some amino acids compete for the same receptor sites. Iv’e personally have had bad experiances with taking Vitalyze, which contains the amino acids Phenylalanine and L-Tyrosine. What is anyones thoughts on this? I’m not a nutritionist so I’m not claiming to be an authority and I’m interested to learn more about this topic.

what bad side effects?

I would feel very spaced out whenever I took Vitaylize and I didn’t notice that much of an improvement in concentration.

L-tyrosine is meant to block the receptor for Trytophan when you exceed the alactic zone…correct?

AA’s are the building blocks of protein. They have a variety of functions in the body and many can be transformed into other AAs on demand.

Tyrosine is a precursor to adrenaline, dopamine, melanin and thyroxine. It also can inhibit the uptake of tryptophan into the brain thus possibly reducing the CNS perception of fatigue. Phenylalanine is the precursor to tyrosine.

There is not enough of either one to really have much of an effect. You need gram dosages to impact changes.

That being said anyone can get a reaction to anything at times. Just look at people getting reactions to placebos in drug studies.

Who ever told you that need to take a protein course? Amino acids are the foundation of all the supplements on the on the market today.

Man you can drink too much water and your body will have a bad reaction. So like the guy said before you need to balance your aminos out. Bodybuilders perform what they call stacks and that consist taking certain types of amino acids but you have to understand bodybuilders cut out eating certain foods and they get what’s in that food by stacking a single branch chain amino.

Yes that is true. Same for taking certain certain vitamins like Vit E which has been indicated in certain bone diseases and cancer in research. Large doses are no good. But supplementing and being conservative is the key.

That could be the funniest thing I’ve heard all day.

Please, tell me you read this from some high-school science project :smiley:

Well there can be some concerns with heavy duty manipulation with individual amino acids, but the dangers will take quite a while to develop, if ever.

No worries my friend :slight_smile: