Cycling: Track Sprint Training

Hello Everyone

Here is my outline of training for a sprinter in cycling 200m-1000m on Track. Feel free to pick it to pieces. The most important thing is not so much what training a rider does but what effect it has on them and how they communicate this to you. The best results I had with a sprinter was one that I personally trained in the gym and was on hand for most of her track work. A lot of speed work was done on a windtrainer at the gym. Much the same as the success I had with a road cyclist building towards the World Road Cycling Champs where I didn’t observe much of his training but we was in contact up to three times a day leading up to his departure for Europe.

For sprinters I follow a multi-tier approach as opposed to the more periodised approach I use for endurance. Everything is trained year round and it is the amounts that vary depending on what phase one is in.

This means medium term aerobic, short term aerobic, anaerobic capacity, alactic capacity, power and strength (both ATP system) are all included in the programme.

Based on the goal event and the main requirements (sprint = anaerobic capacity) one looks at the levels 2 up and 2 below the main requirement and trains all 5.

For a sprinter…

+2: ATP Strength and Power
+1: Alactic Capacity
Main: Anaerobic Capacity
-1: Short Term Endurance (around maxV02)
-2: Medium Term Endurance (around anaerobic threshold)

For a road cyclist it would look like…

+2: Anaerobic Capacity
+1: Short Term Endurance
Main: Medium Term Endurance
+1: Long Term Endurance (around aerobic threshold)
+2: Very Long Term Endurance (below aerobic threshold)

Note I still get roadies to do very short sprints of 6-10sec or two lamp posts start in the saddle in medium gear (53X19-17) as a type of weights on wheels workout.

Training is then based on each requirement and the volumes at each level is varied depending on the priority. It generally goes from endurance through to strength and power for sprinters. The easiest way is to take the time till the goal event and divide by 5.

Note I do things differently for roadies who spend as much time as possible in the long term endurance phase before a block at MT Endurance, a block at ST endurance and a 2 week block of Anaerobic capacity before a 2 week taper to the goal event. This is because 75% of road racing is done within the aerobic and anaerobic threshold and the more power they can produce and sustain at this level the less time they spend in the energy sapping anaerobic levels. Sprinters however need to train fast all year long.

Instead of the usual 7 day microcycle I have gone for a 14 day period. All training sessions have goals of either time or max lift achieved. If you can’t get close to a PB then pack up. Also you hit a PB then pack up, reward yourself for hitting new targets!

Example schedules based on a masters level rider with 20 years in the sport, a good understanding of weight training and racing at Denton Park, Christchurch, New Zealand’s regular racing on a Wednesday and Sunday from late October to early March.

Medium term endurance phase…

Mon: Rest Day
Tues: 3 X 5min @ anaerobic threshold
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie Powercleans pm Track Racing
Thur: Rest Day
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 12 X 15ses on 15sec off at maxV02
Sat: 8 X 6 sec at max speed
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie Deadlifts pm Track Racing
Tue: 3 X 5min @ anaerobic threshold
Wed: am Lower Body Power pm Track Racing
Thu: Rest Day
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 12 X 15sec on 15 sec off at max V02
Sat: 3 X 5 min @ anaerobic threshold
Sun: am Lower body Strength pm Track Racing

Short term endurance phase…

Tues: 12 X 15sec on 15sec off at max V02
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie Snatch pm Track Racing
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 12 X 15ses on 15sec off at maxV02
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie Squats pm Track Racing
Tue: 12 X 15sec on 15sec off at max V02
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 3 X 5min @ anaerobic threshold
Sat: 12 X 15sec on 15sec off at max V02

Anaerobic Capacity Phase

Tues: 5X20sec (or 250m) at high speed
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie High volume plyos pm Track Racing
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 3 X 5min @ anaerobic threshold
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie Leg press pm Track Racing
Tue: 5X20sec (or 250m) at high speed
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 8 X 6sec at max speed
Sat: 12 X 15sec on 15sec off at maxV02

Alactic Capacity Phase

Tues: 8 X 6 sec at max speed
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie Low volume plyos pm Track Racing
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 5X20sec (or 250m) at high speed
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie Split Squats pm Track Racing
Tue: 8 X 6 sec at max speed
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 8 X 6sec at max speed
Sat: 12 X 15sec on 15sec off at maxV02

Now is the time to use the bike to get you up to speed (ie 65-72kph) and then between turn 3 and 4 kick round the bike to the line. Can be done on windtrainer but on track is better to replicate the effort and handling required to kick off a wheel.

ATP Phase

Tues: 4 X 6 sec at max speed
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie Low volume plyos with weights pm Track Racing
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 2X20sec (or 250m) at high speed
Sat: 4 X 6 sec at max speed
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie One leg leg press pm Track Racing
Tue: 4 X 6 sec at max speed
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 4 X 6sec at max speed
Sat: 6 X 15sec on 15sec off at maxV02

This is the final lead up to goal event and is done once then in the final 14 days to the goal event changes to…

Tues: 2 X 6 sec at max speed
Wed: am. Lower Body Power ie Low volume plyos with weights pm Track Racing
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 20sec (or 250m) at high speed
Sat: 2 X 6 sec at max speed
Sun: am Lower Body Strength ie One leg leg press pm Track Racing
Tue: 2 X 6 sec at max speed
Fri: am. Upper body weights pm. 2 X 6sec at max speed
Sat: Goal Event
Sun: Goal Event

Very little aerobic training in the last two phases but before all anaerobic and alactic workouts one should do this to warm up…

-5-15 min at aerobic threshold
-Stretching
-1-5 min below aerobic threshold
-5 min at anaerobic threshold
-1-5 min below aerobic threshold
-1 min at max aerobic pace
-2-10 min below aerobic threshold
-30 sec flat out
-ride at below aerobic threshold to start/training

This and a decent warm down negates the need for much aerobic training in the last two phases.

With the weight training the goal is to hit a new PB and then do some supplemental exercises. Select one main exercise hit the PB and then if lower body do some hamstring, glute, lower back and abs work. For upper body try and hit a PB for a Chest and Back exercise then do some supplemental work on the biceps, triceps, rear delts/rotator cuff abs and lower back. Power days are harder to judge as you use a load between 30-70% of max or body weight. If you don’t have the snap in your efforts then pack up.

Most of this programme is based on my own understanding of cycling, physiology and sprinting. It includes elements from the new Aussie cycling programme, a little of the old Gary West cycling programme, some Charlie Francis from T&F sprinting, Louie Simmons conjugate method of training for Powerlifters (which draws on Russian physiologist and biomechanist Yuri Verkoshansky), Mel Siff (strength/speed training expert, sadly deceased) and Peter Coe’s (father of Seb Coe) multi tier training philosophy. Not much of the old East German programme as a lot of it is 3rd-4th hand information and over 20 years old.

Cheers

Hamish Ferguson
Christchurch, New Zealand

ps. After posting this on some cycling groups it has been suggested that there is too much weight training doing both power and speed days 4 times in a 14 day microcycle. HF.

Who is the head of track cycling sprint programme over in New Zealand now?

When looking at setting up a programme, I think that you need to look at what is really needed. Take an honest look at a sprint race and see for how long they go all out in a race. From what I’ve seen the portion of ‘all out’ rarely exceeds 15-17 seconds. They last longer but at sub-max levels.

interesting…can you please expalin the 4x6 dseconds at max speed thing?
also, I know tha cycling sprinters are big on full squats.YOu?

I had a few questions about how your program works.
You mention high/low volume plyometrics what are the volumes and what ones do you recommend?
You wrote out upperbody weights and muscles but no specific exercises do you have some that you favor?
I notice you have weights in the a.m. and races that evening how do the weights fit in to the overall theme?
Lower body exercises you have listed are leg press,one leg press,deadlift,power clean,power snatch and squats what do you aim at for sets and reps when the rider has the energy to complete the workout as planned? Also how close to personal best are you looking for to gauge when a rider should pack it up?
I see some workouts are done on the trainer at the gym. What do you use for a trainer for that?
As a road cyclist I have been using/recommending a variation on the tempo sprint workouts to maintain the speed aspect of road riders ability in the off season from racing. In the US this is Oct-March. Also I try to use the verticle training model with road cycling since our winter is rather long and include higher intensity to keep people from getting bored.
The program listed goes for fourteen weeks what do the riders do between? Amos