Crusader's quest

I am just reporting how things have gone. This track season has been a wild ride at that, but I am very grateful to have the time and ability to coach and be a part in these kids lives.

I have always loved the sprints, and wished more kids took more interest in the sport. There are about a dozen kids in the school who are doing nothing who are way faster than anyone on the team now. These kids would rather play pick up basketball after school than run track. Maybe next year will change things.

Stay tuned as taper week begins with the regional meet Friday.

Monday May 12
Temp: 50, rain

Tempo: 8x100

Upper weights

Tomorrow is meet for most of the guys who won’t be running Friday.

The tempo runs were way too easy for the guys today. They were coming in easily at 14-15 seconds.

I have all the kids times so far this season. I am putting them into spread sheet to post when it’s done. I am excited at what they have done so far! :slight_smile:

I attached a file of the results. The kids name’s are initialed. The wind for the meet is also designated (subjectively). We have always ran into the wind the entire season! :eek:

Tuesday May 13
Temp: 68, very windy (head wind, about 10mph)

Again, we have a meet with a head wind!!!

TJ rested today, and did a few block starts and an easy 60. His hip/groin has bothered him all season, but after extensive massage and low level laser therapy over the past week, it’s getting close to 100%. He had massive calf spasms that have been worked out now.

JR (400m) had an easy workout today as well. A few 30s and an easy 150 in 18 seconds (with a tail wind).

I don’t have the race results yet (tomorrow), but BA has been my up and coming sprinter. He started out in the 800 but struggled, so we moved him to the 400. He always went out very fast for the 200 and would come in around 55.x. Last weekend I put him in the 200 and he ran well, easing up with a 23.8. Today he ran into a nasty head wind with a 12.2. He’s probably around an 11.7-11.8 100m guy. Since one of my 4x1 guys hurt his knee, BA will step in and take his spot for Friday. We are looking to get a top 2 placing and go to states.

The younger kids did well today. The slower athletes have been very pleased with their times. CF wanted to break 13 seconds, but had a nasty wind and I believe ran an 13.1 today!

A funny story in the 200. JS was in lane 8 and started out with his head down. He didn’t see the gate open (from the fence) in his lane and ran right into the fence. CF was in the next lane and finished the race laughing! It was funny to watch, but I did feel bad for JS as this is his last meet of the year.

Wednesday May 14
Temp: 52, rain

Thankfully it stopped raining when school ended. The 4x1 team worked on batons. With a perfect race, they could place in the top 2 and make it to state finals.

My long jumper TJ, worked on his run through a few times. He’s ranked #2 going in, but the #1 guy is jumping no where near his best. Again, a top 2 finish gets him to state finals.

Today, Thursday, everyone is off. Tomorrow is the big meet!

Good luck tomorrow. Our big meet (qualifying for state) is Saturday. Hope we are both smiling on Sunday.

Friday May 16
Temp: 72, wind (cross wind, 3-5 mph)

Today was near perfect. Weather was great. Kids all felt good.

but…

the entire day was disaster. Every kid choked.

Let’s start in the 100. Not much choke here really. My guys made it into the semis, both running 11.5’s fairly easy.

In the semis, they both ran 11.2, and got 6th in their heat, not moving on. They ran 100% so it’s the best they could do.

The finals was very fast for this area. The top 5 all ran 10.9 or faster (10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.9).

The hurdler, MC, was supposed to run just the 300h. The head coach also put him in the 110s, which he struggled with all year. He made it to finals and got 6th. But his hip, which was feeling good today, became tight after the finals going into his 300H.

In the 300s, he ran awful, a full second off his time Tuesday, which was jogged. I was just very upset since I didn’t want him to run the 110s. It’s partly my fault for not sticking up and pulling him out when I could have. He took 6th in the 300.

The 4x1 had an outside shot of getting top 2 if they had perfect exchanges. For some reason, one runner who has run leg 2 all season, thought he’d change hands and he missed the 2nd exchange, leading to DQ and last place finish in the heat.

In the long jump, TJ jumped 19’2, fouled a 20’4", and needed to jump 20’11" to move on. He placed 6th.

The 400m guys, JR, ran another 56.5. He was in lane 8 and hit his usual first 100 in 13.5x and then was in the 14s for the second, but he finished stronger than normal. Not sure if it was from the easier 2nd 100 or just rest from last week.

He is ready to start preparing for next year. He is really interested in going after it for his senior year. I’ve been scrolling hours for 400m prep info, and will be making another journal for him soon.

BA, the rising sprinter in the group, made it to the semis in the 200, running 24.3, with a slight head wind on the turn. He ran 100% and barely made it in. We both agreed to not run the semi’s and focus on the 4x1.

BA has alot of promise and is interested in training year round.

The majority of sprinters are 2 or 3 sport athletes, so it’s very exciting to see kids who want to train for track year round.

We have our league championship on Tuesday, and the county meet on Fri. Since the majority of county teams were in our region, only a select few will be going. Leagues will be loaded with guys.

Will report back next week.

Monday May 19
Temp: 62

A few guys who did not have field events on Tuesday did 6x100 tempo

The field event guys worked on steps and some technical work.

Tuesday May 20
Temp: 62
Wind: strong, tail wind!!

Today was the League Championship.

In the 100m, TJ and DJ did as expected, taking 3rd and 4th (11.2, 11.3).

I the long jump, TJ jumped 19’9 to get beat out by a 19’10. He has one more meet Friday and will only do the long jump. Tomorrow we will work on a few things.

In the hurdles, MC took 3rd in 110, and took 2nd in the 300s. He has had issues with hurdle #5 coming off the turn. His focus from the start was the turn, which he did great today, but he started out slow and his time showed. He will have one more crack at it Friday.

The 400 guys ran the same 56.x. They all have showed signs of progress finishing “stronger” although their times have not changed much in the past few weeks. Today was tough with the back stretch into the tough wind.

The 4x1 choked again, dropping the baton on the first exchange. The same guy botched last Fridays exchange. Not going to get into it here, but there are LOTs of mental issues going on with him.

For most of the guys, our last meet was today. A few will compete in Friday’s County Meet and then they will be done.

Overall I have learned a lot coaching this year. TopCat told me I would, and he was 100% correct. I am glad I took the position, as earlier I wasn’t sure I wwanted it.

Some changes I would like to address for next year

(1) Start prep earlier than 3 weeks before practice. Since I coach football, probably start most of the non-winter sport guys in November, so when the season “starts” in March, they are in Spp2.

(2) A few meets I didn’t like their format (all relays, medleys etc). If we keep those meets, I will run the younger guys there, and save the invitationals for the better runners.

We will have 6 dual meets, and I would like to go to 2 invitationals before regionals. This should provide a nice exposure for the sprinters to not get over run in one event (which I did for the 100 and 400 guys this year).

(3) Recruit new kids. There is more talent not on the track than on it. I want to find a way that will get kids excited and come out. Obviously attitude is important so any knuckleheads are not welcome.

(4) Study 400m programs to find out what would work best. I have been studying the Hart files I posted. If this is still in the works, I would like to see the 400m program for sale through the store.

(5) During prep, focus more on strength work and fitness and move to more speed work in January-Feb and SE in March-April. The kids lacked on the strength and it showed in the shorter sprints.

This Thursday is Prom so no practice then. Tomorrow is a light workout for the guys on Friday. I will report back after Friday’s meet.

Friday May 22

Temp: 62, no wind

On a cool afternoon/evening, we only had a select few athletes go to the county meet.

TJ had 3 good jumps in the prelims, 19’3 (no board), and then 2 20’5".

He got into the finals but didnt jump well for reasons I’m not going to go into further here. He ended up placing 4th. I am very happy he got back to his 20 ft distance in his last meet ever (Sr. in high school).

The hurdler MC took 6th in teh 110 and 300s.

Both athletes looked sluggish as they had prom and were up late last nite.

The season is officially over.

I plan on coaching next year and will have a journal started then.

Thanks to TopCat for his help throughout the season and everyone on the forum for sharing information.

I also found out a baseball team I work with in the winter won their league for the second year in a row (my second year working with them). :smiley:

Our new season has begun.

I have decided to try out a L-S approach this year and see what happens. I was pleased with the S-L but want to see what happens. Talent isn’t very promising this year so I figured what the heck.

We have a 10 week season before regionals, leagues and counties. I don’t know if any of my guys will even be close to runnign that fast, but we shall see.

Monday March 9
Temp: 50 F
Sunny
Wind: slight

W/U

Medball accels x 10 m x 10 throws

Push Up starts 4 x 20m

R 7m

Stretch and abs

There was about a 5-10 second difference on the first 300 to the second 300.

Tuesday: Off due to school scheduling issues

Wednesday: Scheduled for 2 x 8 x 100 tempo, but another coach was supposed to take them and do the workout. Hopefully he got the workout.

Thursday March 12

Temp: Cold! Stayed inside

Med Ball Squat Throws x 10
1 Hop x 10

Indoor “tempo” on wrestling mats. Quite cushy and flared up my turf toe!! :mad:

1 minute jumping jacks
30 second abs
1 minute high knees
30 sec push up
1 minute squat thrusts
30 sec abs
Repeat 2 more times

Kids had tough time with this.

Finished with GPP ab circuit. 2 sets of 20/10s

I will be coaching the girls this year too. Today was their first day with me.

Should be interesting year. I have two girls who are 10th graders who ran well last year on someone else’s program.

Look like a quick tempo workout, may have to give it a try next week. What kind of warmup did your athletes do today indoors and how much rest after the first set? What tempo volume do you think it would equal out to, 600m?

Took about 15 minutes I think. It was continuous. No rest between sets really. Just enough to correct and give advice/feedback to the group.

I can’t give a number for tempo. But I don’t think running in place is equally demanding as tempo on grass. I do know that a minute of what I gave them was enough to get heart rate up enough to my liking. I would say this might be equal to 1000m of tempo based on their reaction.

Warm-up wasn’t done by me, but took about 15-20 minutes, mixture of stretching and technique drills.

Fri Mar 13
Temp: 40
Wind: mild

Had 35 kids today! Yikes. Most are new and don’t know how I do things yet. Kinda hectic, especially when most every one is cold!

I broke up into two groups and did:

Exercise 1
Push up starts 3 x(3x15m)

Exercise 2: Sled sprints 3 x 30m

One half did Ex 1, other did 2, and then we switched.

Most of my group are 100/200 types, a few are 200/400 or 300mH.

The 100/200 group did:

3 x 250, 5min R

The 200/400, 300mH did 2 x 600, R: 10min

All did 1 x 30 strength endurance (will add one rep each SE workout)

Monday March 16
Temp: 50, slight wind

4 x 10m push up starts
4 x 20m standing starts

Tempo:
100/200 did
1+1+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+2+2+1

400/300mH did
1+2+3++
1+2+3++
1+2+3

Abs

Tues Mar 17
Temp: 65
Wind: mild

100/200 group

W/u
4 x 10 push up starts
4 x 20 standing

3 x 60 (30+m), 90 second rest b/r, 7m b/s

2 x 150 8 min rest

Str End
2 x 30m

300mH/400m group
4 x 10 push ups
4 x 20 standing

2 x 300 7min rest

Str End
2x30m

Wed Mar 18

Scheduled 2 x 10 x 100 tempo with abs

During warmup, coach made them lunge 100 yards!!!

Thursday Mar 19
Temp: 40, cold, windy

Kids were all sore in hamstrings today from lunge warmup. I was pissed.

100/200 group:
Tempo: Big circuit (almost made it through), told kids for last set to run into school for abs since it was so cold
1+1+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+2+2+1++
1+2+1+1++
Run to school

Abs

400m group

4x200 race modeling (30+33)

Planned speed day tomorrow for 100/200 and the grueling 600s for the 300/400m group.

Friday March 20
Temp: 45
Wind: slight

100/200 group:

4x30

3x EFE
2x EFE

1x150

300/400 group

4x30

2x600

600’s were tough, but times were better than last week.They are glad to have them done now…On to 500s!

When is the first meet, and are you in spp?

First meet is April 2. First important meet is May 15.

We are in early SPP. The meets will be our SE. The other HI day will be max speed work with 2-3 tempo days.