Critique please: Training Program for Soccer or Other Team sports

Question re: Training for Soccer and Other Team sports

I would really like some feedback on this program I am putting together …
My main concerns are as follows …

Would a Cyclical training approach such as the following provide
A: Sufficicent Aerobic Fitness and
B: Sufficient Muscular Endurance
… for Soccer and Other Team sports ???

Using a 3-1-3-2 Approach

M: Speed, Skill* and Weights
T: Tempo & Form Drills
W: Agility and Weights
T: Tempo & Form Drills
F: Speed, Skill* and Weights
S: Tempo
S:

*Speed Session and Skill Session are separate

Weight Training
Using 3 base and 1 supplemental Exercises
Sets from 6, Reps max 5

Weight training
Week %

• 80% - [6S 5R] - Slow Ecc - fast Con, Iso + Dynamic [6 Exers] Squat, BB Bench Press, Snatch, DeadLift, Seated Row, Good Morning
        • 85% - [5S 5R] - Faster Ecc - fast Con, Iso + Dynamic Plyos [6 Exers] squat, DB Bench Press, Clean, DeadLift, LatPullDown, Good Morning
        • 90% - [5S 4R] - No Iso Plyos [6 Exers] Squat, BB Bench Press, Snatch, DeadLift, Seated Row, Good Morning
        • 90% - [3S 3R] - Maint. (Drop vol by 25%) Plyos [4 Exers] Squat, DB Bench Press, Clean, LatPullDown
        • 90% - [6S 3R] - Slow Ecc - fast Con, Iso + Dynamic [6 Exers] Squat, BB Bench Press, Snatch, DeadLift, Seated Row, Good Morning
        • 95% - [5S 2R] - Faster Ecc - fast Con, Iso + Dynamic Plyos [6 Exers] Squat, DB Bench Press, Clean, DeadLift, LatPullDown, Good Morning
        • 100+% - [5S 1R] - No Iso Plyos [6 Exers] Squat, BB Bench Press, Snatch, DeadLift, Seated Row, Good Morning
        • 90% - [3S 3R] - Maint. (Drop vol by 25%) [4 Exers] Squat, DB Bench Press, Clean, LatPullDown
        • 90% - [3S 3R] - Maint. (Drop vol by 25%) Plyos [4 Exers] Squat, BB Bench Press, Clean, LatPullDown

Weeks 1&2 Last 2 Sets Include Holding Weight from 30-60 secs followed by 5 dynamic reps - Body Weight Only
Weeks 5&6 Last 1 Set Include Holding Weight from 30-60 secs followed by 5 dynamic reps - Body Weight Only

Plyo’s
2 Sets of 6 reps
Body Weight Only - of ONE of the following exercises …

• Split Jumps
  • Vertical Jumps
  • Step-up Jumps
    2 Sets of 6 reps Follow Each Weight Exercise of Bench Presses - Body Weight Only
  • Dynamic Push-Ups
    Each Plyo Session - 2 sets 5 Reps - Depth jumps 18" box

Tempo:
Rest Between Reps 50m Walk
1: 60, 60, 60
Rest 100m Walk
2: 60, 60, 100, 100
Rest 100m Walk
3: 60, 100, 100, 100
Rest 100m Walk
4: 600, 100, 150, 150
Rest 100m Walk
5: 60, 100, 100, 100
Rest 100m Walk
6: 60, 60, 100, 100
Rest 100m Walk
7: 60, 60, 60

Questions:
Are there too many Weight exercises?
Is the intensity too much over all?
Is the Tempo demanding enough for Soccer requirements?
Should I use any or maybe 1 Fartlek session?
Are Isometrics used in a sensible manner?
Can the complex training approach be modified?
Is it altogether too complicated fro practical application?
Are the Distances in the Tempo suitable for Soccer?

Comments are not only welcome - they are required!!!
:slight_smile:

Thank you

i like fartlek training, i would add that in there for some game type runs. also i think a lot depends on what position you play. because a midfielder would have to run more than a forward or a defender.
i think it might be a little too much in my opinion because it looks like you would have to give up some quality becuase of quantity. i like using a 2 week cycle instead of just the standard 7 day week.
does any one concur or am i off?

Maybe you’d give us an idea of the 2 week cycle for a comparison?

I guess you could use Fartlek too - and I’m a fan of it also when used properly - but Tempo used properly is probably very similar benefit-wise to Fartlek.

We had a similar discussion recently re: Hockey and my main worry or question is - Will the above program develop the aerobic system sufficiently for such a team game?

I don’t want to waste time, energy and muscle fibres on long pointless 30-40 mins runs, yet I need to have athletes able to move for 80 - 90 mins and sprint fast when required.

well me personally i need to do those long types of jogs from 20-30 minutes to develop endurance enough to sustain a game. i havent really noticed any bad effects from jogging, but then again i dont do a racers pace. i just go out nice and fairly easy, just like 7 minute miles. Because i feel that if you do it at a high rate of speed you would become skinny and that is adverse to what you’re aiming for. i have what im doing in this section under help me revise my soccer program.

later

I would favour a series of 100m Tempo Runs @ 65% with 50m walking rest - which TOTAL time takes about 20-30 mins RATHER than a straight 20-30 mins run which will develop ST fibres and not necessarily burn as much fat as the tempo running.

this is true but soccer is not a ture power sport. so building up the st fibers would actually be an advantage. these are just my thoughts.

why speed first and skill second?

i do speed first also, but i dont think it has any negative effects on my skill training.

finding it hard to read - ahh my head :frowning:

Originally posted by marshall
why speed first and skill second?

what good is skill if you’re slow? build a base, get the speed, then get sport specific.

great point…

What about skill drills that require a great amount of coordination, but require almost nothing as far as physical capacities? Skills that require a huge amount of precision?

I believe that in some sports such skills exist, that are worth placing ahead of intense speedwork.

For example : shooting in basketball

I’m starting to think I’m wrong in this case because I can’t think of a great example in soccer, except maybe finishing.

By the way what is the nature of your skill practice, I’m curious

During the competition season (soccer) I find I don’t need to do any tempo. At the moment I’m following this sort of routine:

Mon AM - Sprints
Mon PM - Weights
Tue AM - Abs
Tue PM - 2 Hour Training
Wed AM - Weights (solely upper body)
Thu AM & PM - Technique, shooting drills, Abs
Fri - Rest / Light technique session
Sat - Game
Sun - PM Abs

From the intense efforts on Tuesday and Saturday I get sufficient cardiovascular work. On other days, I prefer to concentrate on sport-specific drills. The only problem is, by the time Wed’s weights session comes round I tend to be quite tired. My Thu and Fri sessions, as Marshall points out, do not tax my physical capabilities.

Hey Guys thanks for the valued feedback,

Jimmay -
Yes I do agree, to a certain extent with what you’re saying about soccer and the need for endurance [But I disagree with the phrase that it is not a ‘true power sport’].
I am very reluctant to practise ot train ‘jogging’ which takes up maybe 60-70% of a soccer players game.
Perhaps though considering what you’ve said - I should sacrifice a Tempo session for a continuous endurance session or a low intensity fartlek session.

Marshall -
The idea is to, as ESPN pointed out, Get fast first and manintain and develop skill - but priority is speed. Speed will take longer to develop, but skills need constant repetition.
Though it is a good point - don’t always sacrifice skill for speed. Perhpas at least one skill session should be pre speed.
One other point to bear in mind is that to develop new skills I would do them before speed, but older skills need to be practised under a certain level of fatigue also at some stage in the season so that they can be preformed under fatigue at the end of games etc.
I like ESPNs point (paraphrasing) If you can’t get the ball you ain’t going to need skill!

CoolColJ -
Sorry man, I pasted it from another program and the neat tabs all disappeared on me and I can’t get them back.

Marshall -
Skill Practice is generally shooting and passing, probably more passing focused at a very relaxed pace. Sometimes Team trainig takes it’s place, so speed is done just before that.

Ally -
I guess You’re tempo is the team training, and this is fine too.
The program above is the basis for the training week, if team training fits in in place of something, simply adjust to ensure the CNS work is properly spaced and weights follow sprinting where at all possible.

Jimmay -
I had a closer look through your trainig progrm and Vito’s 14 day Week plan is a good idea. I try and keep to 7 days simply for simplicity sake, though I have known athletes to use 8 day and 10 day weeks. I find that over a time the 7 day weeks are easiest mantained, though I must admit I never tried 14 days.
I would imagine your plan is for during the season, where such rest is a very good idea, whereas mine is pre-season, more time availble and more work to do!!

Thanks again guys for the feedback.

NO!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: