Cows milk,

Milk is for baby cows!

It has been know for a while from the scientific community that milk really doesn’t serve as a great source of Ca2+ for adults, its probably more useful to the younger ages.

Anything green and leafy is a far better source of Ca2+ anyway, but the best piece of advice anyone can give is “common sense, moderation & variety” that’s the best solution to most “average” diets.

As far as Osteoporosis goes, exercise, more specifically weight bearing exercises, have shown to help prevent and reduce the onset of osteoporotic S/S.

I said nothing of abandoning meat. If one is eating meat, with adequate fruit and veggies (the ratio is suggest is 100% of your carbs, but I imagine most high caliber athletes will have trouble taking in enough calories…I don’t have that issue), the two will buffer each other. I don’t have the science background of many on this site, so I can’t even pretend to know that. All I know is the fact that the calcium from milk is absorbed inadequately due to the acid load. Meat is consumed for the protein. Some people consume milk for the protein and carbs, which is fine if that’s what works best for them. My only point is that those consuming milk for the calcium are probably better off trying other methods.

I think we also have to acknowledge that often what is best for athletic performance may not be best for overall health and longevity.

Sounds about right.

Variety in the diet is an important and overlooked factor, especially with produce as quality produce is very expensive (and vastly superior in taste and assumedly nutrient value). You want ot see quality produce, see what’s on offer in the store in “Project Jane”. Quality costs and there’s a reason that the stores in the video are known in the neighbourhood as “The FiveThieves” (Hope they don’t read this)

A question for the group:
Does anyone have any research on the pasteurization and homogenization of milk? Is it true that pasteurization, simply by heating a dairy product to kill any bacteria also kills living enzymes making it harder to digest in the body? The process of spinning the milk at a very high rate in order to break down the clusters of molecules within the milk so that there is no separation of the cream and the milk is known as homogenization. This is done in order to increase the shelf life. I have read differing opinions with some saying that this “processing” of milk will scar arteries and clog the digestive system which leads to acid reflux, obesity, allergies, constipation, and arteriosclerosis. Must everything we consume be “Organically” certified? :confused:

Certainly the heating of the milk destroys carnitine and changes the nature of milk. Where fresh (immediately after extraction)unpasturized milk is used in great quantities with African tribes, there is no sign of CV complications or other problems.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have access to the real honest to goodness stuff like the good old days. I think as far as the fresh milk goes, the stuff straight from the tap, it’s completely different from the stuff you get at the store. Same with the big name brand meat sellers (Schnieder’s or Maple Leaf). Buying stuff grown locally is so much better. I personally can’t say I’ve drank fresh milk. Ever.

You’ll have to get a cow. If it’s fresh, it won’t be cold though!
PS Hope you don’t live in an apartment!

When talks is about nature, tk god i live in Brazil this “poor” country with all those monkeys & tigers outside…there´s a house/farm ( in this order ) with 2 cows and 1 horse just 2 blocks from my house. It´s nice when i woke with some grouse noise about 5am and even better when i´m here on my computer and i can hear the eagles crying :slight_smile: .

What about drinking water? I have a friend who installed a pretty expensive filter at home to make the water more alkaline. Is this really necessary?

It has already been discussed that we are the only Mammal that drinks another Mammals milk. Another thing to look at is how long all the other Mammals on the planet drink the mother’s milk?

I used to drink milk with every meal, about 8 weeks ago I stopped all dairy except for the occasional piece of cheese on a sandwich. Just to see what would happen. Did not change my routine anymore that I would have anyways.

I lost 10 lbs of Fat, or mucous (notmilk.com), or something. I no longer have oily skin, hair, or zits on my legs. And to top it all off, I feel a lot better.

So those of you who are questioning whether or not to drink milk, stop. See what happens. If you feel better than don’ t drink it again.

You no longer have hair :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, but like you pointed out, everyone should try it out on themselves first and see how you respond. If you like what you see, then base your decision off of that.

Mustang, I thought water was an amphoteric susbtance, meaning that it can be either an acid or base. I dont think a filter to make your water more alkaline would be a very efficient use of your money. It would be better spent on quality food, or a good supplement, or massage therapy or something.

WTF? That’s cause we have thumbs!!

It has already been discussed that we are the only Mammal that drinks another Mammals milk.

Maybe its because the zebra feels a little uneasy suckling the teet of a lioness.

Lol.

The word “suckling” really made that sentence.

“You were trying to milk him weren’t you Focker?!” </bobdeniro>

:smiley:

A great movie btw!

I don’t drink milk nor do I use it for calsium, but I do eat cottage cheese and some yoghurt for a cheap protein source (80% casein, 20% whey) before bed. Mixed with a cup of fresh blueberries and a few raisins/walnuts… :cool:

Ato Boldon told me once that he never drink milk, but i believe he “drunk” at least his mothers milk, course.

I brought this subject up on the t-mag forum a few months ago and it turned out that most of the members that replied didnt believe the claims about milk and possibly other dairy produce being unhealthy and linked to certain disease. Probably because they didnt want to. I believe that milk, atleast, is linked to various diseases due to various studies that I have read. Have a look at this website and like I told the forum of t-mag, they are not all sound articles but read enough and the picture becomes clearer. There are 100s &100s of refs anyway

http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/