Could Aussie style Pro Running work in the USA?

haha…no im a real proffesional sprinter that runs under 10.1…when i heard about the pro running stuff from someone it made me laugh and made me mad that someone that can run over 10.5 can call themself a pro runner…most of us pro sprinters work hard to get where we are, and for someone to be able to call themself a pro runner that runs 11 sec, it takes away from the word “pro”

my only problem with it is the pro part…change the name!!

The ‘pro’ name will never be changed. It is a historic term labelling those that compete in that form of competition.

SNOWMAN WROTE: “…most of us pro sprinters work hard to get where we are”

The serious pro runners in Australia work hard too, tiger. 6 days per week for about 10/11 months of the year (depending on when the season starts & ends) from May to March/April. They may not have the natural talent of a 10.1 guy but their commitment and dedication to be the best they can be given their limited natural ability is the equal of you and your ilk. If they win a Gift worth 5 grand, they’ve bloody well earned it.

Stop lieing and man up!!

After a short stay in America,
Michelangelo’s ‘David’ returned to Europe…

Maybe if ‘David’ had the opportunity to run a few pro running events in America he wouldn’t have returned to Europe looking like the Michellin man!

he isn’t fat enough to be a real american.

If you were a real ‘pro’ runner who runs under 10.1, you wouldn’t be bothered crapping on here about being able to run under 10.1…

I’m a fan of pro events myself, but you have to acknowledge the significance of betting to the sport.

If you from an amatuer background and your struggling to get your head around it, this is the point of the handicapping - it turns it into a viable gambling sport. It’s exactly the same for horse racing.

I’m not sure if you’d have the same interest if you got rid of the betting side of it.

G’day Luca

There is not the volume of betting in the sport there use to be. Most runners nowdays are just happy to run for the prizemoney. Very few squads actively seek out to make a quid from the gambling.

In South Australia the only meet where there are bookmakers present is the Bay Sheffield. There are another 14 meets where there’s no bookmaker.

We do have a calcutta on the the Camden Classic and the Loxton Gift, but that is an auction for the heats so it is restricted to the highest bidder.

In Victoria the major meets have a bookmaker, but you can’t get on for big money except for Stawell. It only takes a few bets to dramatically alter the markets.

The betting is not the motivational factor it once was, but it does add to the appeal and unique nature of the sport.

If not betting yourself or a training partner the gambling aspect makes for greater spectator involvement while sipping on a few beers…