Could Aussie style Pro Running work in the USA?

Does he still run in the pros now after running that time?? cos if he is he is wassting his time!! why would you wan to run with scrubs if you can run 10.08…oh i just saw that he won a so called “pro race” back in 05 of scratch. yeh thats how you know so called "pro runners are SCRUBS! and im hopefully quessing since that date he hasnt botherd wasting his time with something as silly as that.

how can you call yourself a pro runner if you run over 10.5 seconds…lol… amature should be the word

What’s your event Snowman? And your PR? Do you actually compete?

I’m actually kind of with Snowman on this one, minus the derogatory wording. I can’t understand why people would want to participate in a competition where the fastest sprinter did not win. Giving someone a handicap in a race is absolutely ridiculous. If you’re not fast enough to actually race competitively, don’t call yourself a pro, especially if you’re winning your races with a 5-10M head start.

And before anyone asks, I’m not fast at all, but I’d rather lose an honest race than beat someone faster than myself after being given a head start.

On that logic most of the world’s richest horse races should be eliminated, since many are run under handicap conditions.

If that’s how the races are run, then yes. Competition is about finding out who is the best, not who can win if they’re given a handicap.

And it’s not that I have anything against this type of setup (except for the fact that I’d never compete in it), but calling yourself a pro runner or thinking you’ve actually won a race when you have a 10M head start is kind of crazy.

Pro is short for professional meaning they get paid for racing and not that long ago if you were paid anything more than expenses you weren’t able to compete as an amateur and hence Oly Games. The vast majority of pro’s aren’t elite (and would be the first to admit that) but they do it because they enjoy it. Having watched a few handicap races this year I can vouch for how exciting they are to watch. The major pro races in Aus attract much bigger crowds and competitors than the amateur nationals.

Why is it necessary for people to say I wouldn’t do it so therefore it shouldn’t happen ?..ahh the arrogance :rolleyes:

comparing a human to a horse is dumb and ridiculous!! be serious…horses are used to having weight on their back and run well with it on their back…and they start at the same spot…Thats so silly to compare a strong powerful animal to a human…

pro running is dumb…they aint pros!!! thats so funny they think they are…yeh that josh ross guy can consider himsef a pro…but hes wasting his time running with scrubs…like a said real pros race in the circuit in europe!!!

and to answer the original question of this thread…no…hell no would this work in the usa…people like to see pros racing that are fast and can run under 10.30 and starting fom the same spot…no one in the usa wants to watch a bunch a slow…very slow at that amature wana bes racing spread out all over the track…hahaha they would getmade fun off really bad too!!

I know the denotation of professional, but I also know the connotation. The connotation of a professional athlete is someone who is actually good at the sport they participate in. So, while a 12.00 100M runner could technically be considered a professional if he gets paid, he’s not really a pro in the way the word is usually used or understood.

And about your little “ahh the arrogance” comment, the topic of this thread is, and I quote: “Could Aussie style Pro Running work in the USA?” It is my opinion, as a citizen of the USA, that it could not, based on the fact (and I use that word tenuously as it is but an opinion) that we like to see the best athletes, not the ones that can win with a head start. Any money an 11.5-12.0 guy could win would probably be better used to fund amateur athletics. Nobody needs a pat on the back and $4000 cash for running 11.5 when there are high school girls out there that are equally fast.

And seriously, to whoever took a rep point from me, I never said anything other than my opinion (which was on topic for the thread) and yet you felt the urge to remove points from me (not that they matter in the least).

Now, this wouldn’t be so bad, but whomever you are, you did it anonymously. Now, I have no problem being disagreed with, or criticized, but at least have a backbone when you do it and leave your name or a comment about why you disagree. The anonymity of the internet does horrible things to our ability to hold a civilized conversation.

Sorry for the brief interruption to this thread.

it was me. No doubt you will now return the action :rolleyes:

Have you watched a handicap race?

No, I won’t return the action. I disapprove of what you did, I expressed such, and now I’m done.

And no, I’ve never watched a handicapped race but it seems to me that it could be equated to watching a fight where one fighter has his weak hand tied behind his back.

The term ‘pro’ and ‘amo’ in this sport come from a historical context, nothing more or nothing less. That history is related to the old fashioned meaning of amateur and being paid for competition. Once upon a time no athlete being paid could ever compete in the Olympic Games. George McNeil, an athlete from the 1970’s, was once paid for playing rugby and hence disqualified him from running as an amateur. He therefore had no other option but to run only professional races.

There is not much difference in the set up of horse racing and ‘pro’ running. They have a body that administers the running of races, stewards to police the rules to racing, handicaps, handicappers, clubs that raise funds and prepare unconnected meetings. They both have groups of trainers/coaches that instruct their charges to go faster and win. Most significantly, both share a punting connection where betting occurs on the subjects in the races.

The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. I won’t bother trying to change the opinion of those with a closed mind and are not prepared to see the forest for the trees.

The proof is in the pudding, the league or ‘pro’ circuit in Australia flourishes and in some regional areas is the only senior athletic activity available.

I don’t think some of the sport’s detractors would last 5 minutes training with a hardened group of pro runners who in my experience (27 years plus) in the sport train infinitely harder, more often and are far more meticulous than most amateur squads.

My athletes have not got the natural talent to run 10.30 but they train as close to an elite athlete they can (given their circumstances such as work, study etc); to be in the best possible physical shape they can; to win a race on the pro circuit.

No wonder the USA suffers an obese epidemic when adults are discouraged from continuing in athletics because they are considered hacks because they can’t run 10.30.

eer yeh ok whatever…horse racing is actually interesting to watch and bet on…its the sport of kings. so called pr racing ummm its i guess like the sport of an…well ill leave that alone…ok back in the old days the athletes may of been amateurs, This day in age most elite athletes are proffessional athletes travelling the world competing in IAAF events making much much more money then the so called “pro runners” its just funny that these so called pro runners think they are just that pro runners…cos they are not, the are just a bunch a people that are enterd in a race where you can win a bit a money…loose change really…the only big money you can win is if you win the stawell gift and only if you win…ok wow 40g a one off only for the winner…real elite athletes the actual proffesionals make much more than that on the circuit…yeh and athletes get paid at the olympics now and get paid well, its no longer amateur…and again ont compare something as dumb as “pro runnning” to the sport of kings…horse racing…its like comparing a brand new Ferrari to a broken down 1980 toyota

It is true that the money today isn’t a great deal as compared with the European League, however for the general ‘hack’ it is better than a kick in the pants! I’m not sure about you but a few thousand dollars (or even 40k if you are lucky enough) is a nice liner for the pockets and is more than any amateur 100m runner in Australia earns from racing in this country.

Less than 100 years ago many winners of the Stawell Gift could afford to retire for the rest of their lives with the money won from betting and running. The Melbourne Cup and the Stawell Gift were the country’s two biggest sports event during that time. In fact The Stawell Gift is the only live, free to air athletics race on in the country. Not bad for ‘scrubs’.

The ‘pro’ scene certainly has much to offer those not as good, just as Youngy points out.

As for the Ferrari and broken down Toyota, you should get a better analogy. I can’t recall many ‘pro’ runners as broken down, perhaps lesser performance vehicles but not broken down!

ok thats a good point i get the idea its good for the average person that is not too talented and a slower to make some money at these meets… but i still dont think they should get the title of being a pro cos that they are not… they are just running a race with some money on offer…For real pros they are called pros cos its there job to travel the world and compete on the circuit…thats all im tryna say

It’s funny to hear someone with very little knowledge or exposure to the subject discuss it as if they have studied for a PhD on it.

Runners who concentrate on the pro circuit have a far more appreciation of where they sit in the world and by no means do they rate themselves as “professional” in the true sense of the term.

As it’s been pointed out a few times already, “Pro-runner” is merely a historical or traditional term to distinguish this form of athletics from the mainstream amateur system.

Most Aussie pro-runners apply a bit of Harry Callahan logic - “A Man’s got to know his limitations” and run according to those limits to his or her ability.

I see far more amateur ‘hacks’ strutting around talking PB’s than I do pro runners who prefer to keep their fastest times to themselves.

It really is a no-brain argument. The major Gifts attract dozens of athletes paying $30 to $50 to enter. eg: The Bay Sheffield (Adelaide, South Australia) attracts 90 to 100 entries spread across 15 heats, whilst the SA state 100m championship is generally a straight out final of around 7 to 9 runners. Clearly it’s more popular in some states and many athletes simply would not be involved in athletics at all if not for the strength of the local pro running circuit.

Personally, I coach 22 athletes, half of whom run amateur, but all run on the pro circuit. Without the coaches share of prizemoney I could not justify coaching (and all the associated sacrifices) to my family and simply wouldn’t do it. The pro-running p/money basically covers my coaching expenses each season. BUT most importantly I find it more exciting and challenging and love the atmosphere of the pro running meets.

WHY WOULD AN AMERICAN HAVE SUCH STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT AUSTRALIAN PRO RUNNING??

Snowman is an aussie training in America! Doesn’t take a genius to work out who he is.

John Steffensen? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, this guy is no were as good, probably thinks he is though.