Conditoning the goalkeeper - A scientific approach

For all of those who train football teams and include the goalkeepers within the outfield training programme here are some stats I found from an old resource “Conditioning the goalkeeper – A scientific approach” by Richard Whall, From the SAQ International website accessed in 2000.

The stats were taken from English Premiership, Championship and Reserve team goalkeepers.

[ul]
[li]12min moderate to high intensity activity.
[/li][li]= 110 periods lasting ~6.7sec in duration.
[/li][li]= 1:7 Mod-High to Low intensity work rate ratio (e.g., 6.7s:45s).
[/li][li]~23 sprints per game (Approx. distance 5m).
[/li][li]Maximum sprint duration 3.4s (or 25m).
[/li][li]Even distribution of forward, backward and sideways movements.
[/li][/ul]

Fitness requirements:

[ul]
[li]Multi-directional speed & agility.
[/li][li]Local-muscular endurance (To cope with the intermittent & multi-directional demands).
[/li][li]Strength training (maximal & eccentric*).
[/li][li]Complex training.
[/li][li]Plyometrics.
[/li][li]Resisted & assisted running.
[/li][/ul]
*Eccentric strength needed to withstand the stresses related to the frequent accelerations, decelerations & changes in directions.

Fitness training for goalkeepers should include goalkeeper–specific skills:

[ul]
[li]Jumping (mainly involve one-legged take-offs)
[/li][li]Diving (mainly involve one-legged take-offs)
[/li][li]Sprinting
[/li][li]Changes in direction
[/li][li]Catching the ball
[/li][/ul]

I’d add in some combat training of some kind both for conditioning and to help with the impact and fear factor.

Ian,

Thank you for your informative post.

25m sprints are quite rare for a goal keeper.

The last three that you list in the fitness requirements are actually training methods (for istance, complex training is not a requirement, rather a method).

I disagree with the author re. local muscle endurance.

As Topcat wrote, combat training would actually help the mental approach to contact. GK are known to be mostly crazy and fearless, nevertheless, I think it would help.

That was the maximum distance a goalkeeper sprinted. Maybe only happens once in a game e.g. 1 v 1 with the attacker.

Sorry, I actually know that. I was just listing from the authors article.

I’ve seen some pro clubs use the rugby contact pads for certain drills (e.g. crossing) to help with the contact. IMO, more sport-specific than combat training.

That was the maximum distance a goalkeeper sprinted. Maybe only happens once in a game e.g. 1 v 1 with the attacker.

May be more like once every two or three games.

Sorry, I actually know that. I was just listing from the authors article.

It goes to show that sometime our collegues get confused…

I’ve seen some pro clubs use the rugby contact pads for certain drills (e.g. crossing) to help with the contact. IMO, more sport-specific than combat training.

I am not too versed in the intricacies of mental preparation, but I think the contact pads could be more specific in a sense and less in another.
I am unable to judge, but certainly they are another option.

Here is ‘mine’ answer to one GK coach when he asked me what would I do for GKs strength and conditioning. It is rather general answer with no needs and context analysis, so take it only for discussion purposes.

Strength training: general stuff (clean, snatch, DL, RDL, squat, bench, press, row, pull-ups). Add some grip work, etc

Plyometric: mostly ’UP’ variations + plyos for hands (push-up & clap etc) // Jumps squats, lunge jumps, step-up jumps, expl. Medball throws etc, etc… Add some ’FLAT’ stuff now and then

Speed: Hills (10-20m), Sleds (10-20), lateral shuffles with sleds (5-10m), lateral cross-overs (5-10m), quick feet drills on coordination ladder with 5-10kg plate, decceleration

Work Capacity: medballs, medballs, medballs… Bodyweigth circuits, plate circuits (5kg-10kg)… I would suggest you to take a look at Medball DVD at www.charliefrancis.com. You can do ’tempo’, but not more than 2k in total volume, and not much 200s in it. You can experiment with sandbags too and with lighter sled pulls. Some prehab work for shoulder may be included too.

Metabolic Conditioning: NONE!!! Yes, NONE!!! Maybe something during your technique work, ala repeated shots, etc, etc.

Depending on the athlete recovery ability and training context, something like this can be arranged (off-season — only S&C workouts listed)

Mon: Hills or Sleds (2x4x10m i.e.), followed by some plyos (’UP’) and lower body strength training (Clean 4x2; Squat 4x3; RDL 2x6-8; Lunge 2x6-8, etc)

Tue: Lateral Speed & Agility Ladder (cross-overs with sleds), upper-body plyos (push-up and clap, etc), upper body strength training (Bench 4x3; Row 3x6-8; DB Bench 2x6-8; Beach & Grip work)

Wed: Easy day: tempo work, medball conditioning, core work…

Thur: Flat sprints from various positions, followed with some plyos (’FLAT’) with lower body strength training (Dead Lift 1x3; Lateral Lunge 2x6-8; Bulgarians 2x6-8, GHR 2x6-8; ankle work)

Fri: Quick feet work (agility ladders or something easier than on Tue). Upper body strenght (Press 4x3; Pull-Ups 3x6-8: Dips 3x6-8; Grips and shoulder prehab work)

Sat: Easy day: tempo work, medball conditioning, core work…

Sun: Free

Ian,
Thanks for your informative post. Keep posting!

This was actually what I was thinking about though some striking may be a bit of fun as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJn8h_8PDw

Watch this video. Besides the occasional cross where the keeper would jump off one leg vertically, most dives look two feet in nature.

I’ve struggled with this training GKs as well. I don’t want them doing excessive diving.

To me, one leg jumps in training wouldnt be a “specific” exercise to mimic the action in the game.

Thoughts?