Completely New to Sprinting

The CF GPP workout is solid but for your purposes you will probably want to stretch it out to ten weeks and greatly reduce the volume of the later weeks.

It sounds like you are ready to slowly introduce the speed/hills then. I would stick with the hill that is not very steep. You only need a slight incline.

Something like:
Week 1 10x10
Week 2 10x20
Week 3 8x30
Week 4 6x40
Week 5 7x40
etc

All the while increasing your tempo capacity and slowly introducting basic plyometrics.

When are you planning on competing? Are you planning on going S-L or L-S? Do you have the Vancouver download?

Don’t do hills…

Why not give it a try? Just decrease some of the intensities early on and progress with the speed as the body feels ready.

Maybe do a 3 week block of prep work before starting.

The longer reps in the early phase eg 350m brekup into 150+100+100 at 70%.

Yea, I was thinking of maybe decreasing the volume each day by half. I am planning on S-L and I have seen the Vanc download, but it also seems to be geared towards much higher level sprinters. As far as competing goes, I literally won’t be able to do so until second year because of my schedule in U.

I wasn’t planning on doing any initially. Is there a reason for this?

I think I might try CF’s GPP plan at about 50% of the original volume and give the one a shot once I have more experience.

Thanks for the help guys!

What do you not like about hills?

No disrespect bit I totally disagree, hills are great, especially for beginners.

Like Charlie has said many times, hills bring the ground up to you, no need to worry about prerequisite strength or angles.

In the CF GPP Chart, should I do some hills some flats, or all hills?

The GPP starts with all hills (for speed work)then starts to progress to the flat in Wk 5. Tempo is always on the flat, preferably on grass. Though as some other members have stated above, maybe stretching out the GPP to 8, 9, 10 (or more) weeks is better for beginners.

I’m not saying you have to stay on hills for that long but in general, a beginner will have a longer GPP than an elite athlete. You should transition to the flat when you (or your coach) feel ready.

Yea thats basically the same thing my coach has told me. I am gona do mostly hills but I will have to see later on because I am moving to Waterloo in September.
He also changed that GPP to 12 weeks with a 3-1 format.

From what I know of the facilities available in Waterloo, you are going to have to work pretty hard in the weight room.

I know a masters guy who works and trains at UWO, and they only have 40m strips to run on indoors on campus, and the other facility they appear to use is to my knowledge public access and only has 3 lanes, so it might be good for tempo, but going past 40m indoors is going to be a serious challenge. I wonder what that surface is too? Is it just straight rubber mats? Yeesh.

Well I got no problem working in the weightroom, gym rat here.
I am still in Vancouver and haven’t seen the campus yet, but they do have a stadium nearby, though it’s probably not available to public uses. Its not a problem because I am pretty good at improvising. Right now I am doing sprints on a grass field, which is pretty well maintained and I can use spikes on it. Hills I am doing at a U-turn section at my gym, which is usually empty and no cars go there. As long as I can find a space I think I can manage it. Worst case scenario I will do it on the sidewalks.
I am in engineering co-op so I will only be at Waterloo 4 months at a time, so I am gona be constantly looking for different places to train.

Why do hills every day, why not mix the runs? Ex:

Mon:
4x10 face down position
4x20 sled pulls
4x20 mb starts

Thur:
4x10 pushup position
2x4x20 sled pulls or hills
4x20 mb starts

I agree with Rb34 why not mix it up. Trust me it gets boring doing the same thing over an over again. I like variety

hey guys thanks for the awesome inputs, I greatly appreciate it!
I might mix it up a bit later but I just finished my first workout today consisted of 10 reps of hills and 5 sets of flat and it was pretty awesome. It was my first time doing a speed workout so it was pretty great. All my starts are from a 3 point stance so next time I will definitely add in some varieties like the face down or push up. The thing is I have very limited equipment and I don’t have access to a sled and my gym doesn’t permit its equipments (medballs) to be taken out. But I will start to add in a greater variety of starts next workout. Today’s was a bit rushed because I was quite busy earlier and had limited time.

Hills every day in the beginning allow the athlete to maintain solid acceleration form while reducing the eccentric stress of the stride, which is a good thing in the beginning of the year. However, I think the transition to flat accels can occur quickly and you provide a solid recommendation for a mid-gpp accel week.

No need to do 3pt starts right now because I’m sure they are shitty. Stop being cheap and buy a MB they are 25 bucks for a 10lb ball.

I’m not a rookie and I understand all that jazz. I’m sticking to my point, no reason to do hills 3 times a week. If you look at Derek’s 10 day taper graphs you can see he’s during the samething I mention above. I guess athletes who don’t do hills 3 times a week are doing it wrong - maybe you should warn John Smith and Lance about this breaking news.

Why not do one day of hills, one day sled, one day falling start.

RangerID, however, stated he is completely new to sprinting, hence a recommendation to start on a surface that maximizes accel mechanics and minimizes eccentric stress. And I’ll be sure to let them know! :wink:

Thank you…