Coming back from chronic achilles

Tues 3 Sept

A) light upper body circuit

B) upper body circuit+ backextensions6x10
Starting to feel fresher. Should ran well later in the week.

Wed 4th Sept

rest

Th 5th Sept

3x30,2x60,100x1,1x145

Sometimes times are assigned to workouts for publication purposes when, often, the athlete does the runs at their own comfort level and can vary a fair bit, athlete to athlete and session to session.

That makes sense, sometimes repeat 200s @ 30s can feel easy however if I am flat the same work out can be more intense.

What would be upper limit of pace for tempo work?

Th Sept 6th

2x30,2x60,1x100,1x145

Upperbody circuit

Disappointed with the times. Considering I was posting these times on grass. First real speed session on mondo in spikes. Achilles felt good, top end speed was down.

By upper limit do you mean how slow or how fast?
I’d put a speed limit of 75% of best time but no slow limit because of variability of state of muscle recovery from other work (breaks can be shortened to compensate), field conditions (smooth, wet, soft grass, carefully checked for stones or glass, might lead some to go in bare feet- not with a sore achilles however), how executed (ie 100 down and turn-around back for a 200 rep). That’s one reason I love the big circuit so much- it’s so “elastic” that it can adjust almost infinitely.

My feet are very stiff and supinated. This is one of the mechanical reasons which led to my AT problems. So barefoot running is a no go, as you said.

Big circuits are a coach’s dream however they can sting quite a bit. This is one of the needs in my training, to increase the volume of tempo runs within a session.

Friday 7th Sept

Upper body circuit
5x10 single calf raises
3x20reps doubles

Right calf minor tightness. Hamstrings have been tighter then normal. Have done russian hamstrings this week.

Week So far: Unloading Wk

Mon 3rd Sept

-Basketball
-light upper body circuit

Tues 3 Sept

B) upper body circuit+ backextensions6x10

Wed 4th Sept

rest

Th Sept 6th

2x30,2x60,1x100,1x145

Upperbody circuit

Friday 7th Sept

Upper body circuit
5x10 single calf raises
3x20reps doubles

Sharmer
Playing basketball may be contributing to your tight calf; especially if you are doing layups off of your right leg.

MIKE NIKE

I mostly do double leg take offs, my goal is to be able to dunk again. At 5’9 & ( 178 pounds) I got to get a long way up there. My Vertical is 36inches ( 3 paces) , if i can improve it by 4 inches then I should be able to.

Sharmer,

I have the same AT problem as you (I tore the right one and the left has been nagging me for a while) I was wondering if you use foam rollers on your calves. Also you are right about the eccentric loading and sand. I just came back from vacation and after walking on beaches for 2 weeks my AT is sore. I saw these shoes they looked like an idea but then I started thinking about the eccentric loading.

What do you think?

The are similar to the nike free but they have a negative heel. (the heel is lower thean the toes) I was thinking of using them on my way to work but then I started to think that they may strain instead of stretch.

http://www.earth.us/catalog.asp?Gender=men&cat=14

Foam rollers are good. However the degree of benefit depends on the nature of your AT problems. If your calf’s are excessively tight then they can be effective. I don’t use foam rollers. I prefer deep tissue massage work on the Soleus. Or acupuncture needles with EMS.

Those shoes are too flexible try get something more stiff. The key to getting your AT right is to apply enough load without over doing it. Too much loading can aggravate the problem. Not enough won’t stimulate healing. Usually if your volume of running is low. High volumes of calf work can be tolerated.

Sat 8 Sept

Very light session

short hills
warmup
single leg calf raises 6x10

Sun 10 Sept

A) hills slight decline x6

• single leg calf raises 3x10
    achilles felt really good

b) 30x5 4.1-3.96
100,100,100 11.12, 11.12, 10.81 ( grass)

Last rep was good, close to Pb for a session. :smiley:

Mon 11 Sept

basketball 90 min/
8x150 tempo walkback 15 s 100/

Tues 12 Sept

• overhead press 4x10 - neural activation, thats all

Wed 13 Sept

30x4 4.1-4.0 comfortable
3x100 11.6,11.2,10.6
pb for 100 in training on grass. :smiley:

Need to develop SE, when thats in place… we’ll see what happens :eek:

Thur Sept 13

Long jump Practice
-basketball game 40 minutes, entire right leg is loaded up, especially dorsi-flexors. Achilles are fine.

• brief upper body circuit

Fri 14 Sept

Upper body circuit

• quite sore very game yesterday.