College curriculum questions

Forum:

I am fortunate enough to be designing some new courses at my university. I am looking for any thoughts, particularly syllabus (syllabi?) that you may have access to. Here’s the situation:

1. The students taking these three classes ARE NOT science majors. They are majoring in “Sports Administration” on the undergraduate level, and are focusing either on becoming sport coaches or athletic administrators.
  2. I have already been given some parameters from the school, for example what general topics each course must cover, as well as working titles.
  3. They are brand new classes here – never offered before. They do have to be taken in order, as each will build on the other.

Course one – “Nutrition and Wellness for Athletics”
I was going to make this a general introduction to strength, fitness, and nutrition. Get the students to understand the basic terms and functions of the body. Remember, these are students with little or no bio, chem, anatomy, etc. exposure. I’ve seen a few texts, but always searching for better…. Yes, I can supplement the info listed – as long as I can justify it…

Course two – “Introduction to Strength & Conditioning”
Was going to use the basic NSCA text as the outline for this, but use my own resources for the Olympic weightlifting parts, and hopefully lots of CFTS for integrating everything.

Course three – “Sport Mechanics for Coaches”
Take all of our acquired knowledge, and discuss movement in sport and how we can train for sports both on the field and in the weight room. We’re going to analyze basic sports movements for similarities and differences, and teach these students how to coach these movements, staying clear of all tactical work.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Course One is offered this fall, Two is offered spring 2012, Three is Spring 2013. I’m doing this work myself, but I believe this forum has an outstanding knowledge base and a willingness to share and improve.
Thanks!

For Course one: Not sure what he would think of your using it in a class, but Lyle McDonald’s Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports is a really good primer on the subject for lay readers/amateur athletes.

I’d definitely recommend Science & Practice of Sports Training as a supplement for the intro to Strength & Conditioning

Lyle Mc

If you’re out there, would you mind contacting me? I’d like to know if you issue “exam copies” of the text for review for use in my class…
Thanks