coaching youth teams question

hi i m a strength and conditioning coach (starting out). being starting out in the business of course i m finding it quite difficult to get clients in both fat loss and strength and conditioning.

i ve been thinking of calling up a bunch of the sports teams in the city and asking would they be interested in a strength and conditioning coach for 14 years and up.

my questions are these.
is this a good idea?
2, say i have a team of rugby players, 15 years old, for 1 hour twice a week,what the f*** can i do with that.
in the weights room with one, maybe two i d be fine, but a whole team, how would other coaches here arrange that, for conditioning and strength.
also taking into account, where i am is pretty backwards so the training for say, rugby , would be like…running around the field and crap like that.so i would have to match it up with strengthening exercises and plyometrics, but with little or no equipment. the gyms here in the city all require a min of 16 years in the weight room.
has anyone any ideas???
thanks

You can do a lot with field based conditioning and medballs.

cept i ve no money for medballs haha…
i was thinking of sticking to sprints, mixed in with push ups, pull ups, squats, etc etc… i wont be using tires and super yokes but it would be something.
i was thinking of investing in kettlebells and med balls for things like this alright… they would help wouldnt they

Use small sandbags instead of medicine balls. Small plastic barrels, partially filled with water will present a huge challenge and lots of giggles with the kids. Get some tractor tires of various sizes. The toughest part will be getting the kids to stop. They will be having that much fun. Use your imagination.

TNT

also- you can make slosh pipes- 9’ long 4" PVC pipe filled 2/3 full of water, capped at the ends. Lifts, walks, squats- the moving water wipes out your core, it’s challenging and the kids will have fun. Lunges, BW squats, jumps to go along with sprints and agility training. Hill running. 1 hour is a pretty good time for no equipment. Keep the kids moving.

Give them the basics so when they get to a higher standard they already have some kind of idea of what they are doing. Skills take years to learn so better to learn early. When working with a lot of athletes work them in groups together so you can correct tecnique and start with very simple things like correct posture. You can challenge them with med ball and abs as well as bodyweight exercises and isometric squats, lunges etc.

Get each kid to bring along x2 house bricks. They can be used like dumbells and easily stored on top of each other in a corner.

Firstly I think you are on the right path - looking at a grass roots club and a junior team to kickstart your S&C career.

I think you should get into a club first and see what equipment they have that you can use.

If you are genuinely enthusiastic and keen to do well with your ‘new squad’, then the club should be excited at getting someone willing to help them out.

Once you and the club have come to an agreement, you can sit down with the coach, discuss what you have to offer and perhaps look at the club purchasing equipment that you think you need.

I wouldn’t recommend getting any equipment until you have secured a position as you might find the club has what you need.

If the team improves and enjoys success, you will soon find that your reputation will get around and you might be sought after by other clubs or individuals seeking a successful S&C coach.