Coaching Development

I know this section is for the develoment of athletes, but as a future Physical Educator, I was wondering what is the best way to develope the skills needed to coach a T&F team (mainly sprinters). I know the USATF offer certifications, but are they worth the money and travel. Or is it better to learn under a head coach as an assistant coach. Which thats leads to, should I find a coach that thinks along the same lines as me (as in training ideas) or someone that as a different view on things than I do. Just looking for some suggestions on how to become a better coach for those future athletes.

Knowing the theory behind how something should be done is one thing, but in my opinion there is no substitute for practical experience and hands on knowledge.

Why make mistakes other people have already made when you can learn from someone who has already made them and learnt from them.

Even better, combine the two.:smiley:

Damn good point Clemson!
I run into that all the time. Another young collegiate coach and I had talked on this same topic today. It is amazing how many guru coaches are out there, just because they are great “used car salesmen” I wonder sometimes, if I should have gotten a degree in marketing or sales, instead of physiology!!!

Originally posted by Clemson
USATF certifications are worth the investment. Level one is a joke…but II gave me some good tools. I would try to be mentored by someone who produces sprinters, not recruits them and takes credit.

The only thing is that there are no certifications here in N.E. USATF doesnt have anyone in the area to teach them, even level one.

The problem is you have to drive some hours to get it. There will be a level 1 this summer prior to the level 2 in NC. you could knock out both.

You have to get to where the action is.

what is the procedure to get certified to teach level I school? i think alot of the coaches here in new england would benefit greatly from that information, even though, as clemson said, level I is a joke.

I have to agree with the idea that nothing beats learning under a proven coach. Conceptual knowledge is great, but having someone that is proven to go to with questions and theories is invaluable. i don’t think i’d be nearly as evolved as a coach(not that i know all that much) if i had started under someone who was making up workouts on the way to practice.

You must attend an Instructor Training School (held once a year at the same site as Level II and III) The set-up is such that you can take either a 3 or ITS early in the 8 days while the new Level 2 people take their sciences. The 3’s and ITS end when 2’s start their event-specific groups, so that the 3 or ITS attendee can get an “alumni Level 2” in a new area.

I have been planning to get my ITS but am finishing my L3 first. Saddly they are offered at the same time so you cant do both. I hope to do ITS a year from now.

Also, there are enough certified coaches in the NEng/NY area that the problem is not finding the instructors but finding a host site and logistics. Were someone in say the MA area really interested, the details can be worked out I am sure.
Perhaps some one one the list would be interested???

This is all explained on the USATF National site under Coaches then Coaching Education.

The info for UNC Ashville ITS, L2, L3 is found there as well as Mike Corn’s email if you have any questions.