Coach Ange's blog

It’s going well - my wife and I both lost 5lbs the first week with the diet along… Actually the whey protein taste really good with the coconut oil.

My wife plan is very similar but she train early morning 5 or 6 am

Pre workout
Caffeine
1 scoop whey or bcaa 8z water

During training: 20z water

Post workout
1 scoop whey + almond milk
½ avocado
20oz water consume within 30mins

Lunch
1 grapefruit
Chicken breast
1 cup green beans
20z water 30mins

Snack 1ish
½ cup trail mix
Hot green tea

Dinner
Black beans
Chicken breast
Spinach salad
20z water

Snack
1tb peanut butter
8z water

Non workout days are slightly different

Sat/Sun
Breakfast: hot green tea or blk coffee and coconut oil or heavy cream

Lunch: Fish – fats – spinach salad

Dinner
Beef or steak
Broccoli and green beans
20oz water

Wednesday is also non training day but it’s very similar to the workouts - mainly dropping the fruit at lunch. Her workouts are 4 days of german body comp with ZERO cardio until the last block.

For some reason the forum won’t allow me to edit the above post.

Shut down you computer or first refresh your screen and see if that works. I don’t think it’s the soft wear as I have no issue what so ever but I am the admin so not sure.

I can correct all the other post in this thread besides #22.

1. Try editing the post using another browser rather than your usual one (you may be asked to sign in again when you go to the post editing action).

OR
2. you could clear down web browser cache, but are likely to lose saved passwords, and other stuff that is more time consuming to re create than the original problem.
Ditto if you delete the CF cookie.

If point 1 fails suggest you just re enter the post as a new item with the correct details - to avoid endless fiddling around.
Possible the CF database has a lock on your user ID against the original post, which is why Angie can access the post - her admin ID has greater power/access.
Note that switching on/off does not usually clear down historic cache and cookie type stuff.

I do something similar when I want to lose a little for the beach or summer or just because.

BUT it seems to kill my boxing training when I don’t have some real carbs like bread, rice, more fruit. As an experiment, I’ve thought about doing what you are doing above, except exchange all of the whey for fruit or at times an almond snickers bar preworkout (serious).

The only time I have issues is when I start training after a layoff for example yesterday I had to lay down for 20mins after completing 10x5x60% resting 60sec of back squats. I still wasn’t right this morning, I def believe you need carbs if you are doing speed/power training… My wife training is more bodybuilding she’s ok with the low carbs. I like the high protein intake because it makes me look dense and muscular…

Depending on the athlete goals and tolerance would determine how many carbs. If you have someone who wants to get lean and can deal with feeling like shit while training then low carbs would work. For speed/power athletes they must take in carbs to get the increases in performance. PM training session - we would start to introduce carbs at lunch then about 90-120mins before training session there would be whey+oats then 30mins into session fruit (apple/banana). Postworkout Whey and that’s it… I believe what CP says - YOU GOTTA EARN YOUR CARBS!!! No need to take postworkout carbs if you trying to get lean or have overweight house moms training 60mins.

Good feedback RB. The full time competitive athlete does not really need to think about any of this. As soon as age becomes a factor and other life style changes when training can’t be everything you need or want 24/7 then the nutritional piece becomes a new training variable that must be honed and mastered.

I have always found the carb thing interesting in terms of energy and fuel depending on what you are doing. If you are not doing much physical it’s easy to fast and experiment but the minute you put high CNS stress you need to make sure the game rules are changed according to your new demands and needs.

Nutrition will be individual to some extent as well. And testing can be done to find out particulars of each person to customize and optimize but generally the same rules and or ideas are similar across the board.

Men will be different than woman. Imagine that!:wink:

I ‘try’ to IM fast 2 times a week every other week to help keep in check, as age is creeping in its defo hard to keep looking as lean as the youngsters lol

I have a real sugar addiction which kills me :frowning:

I use a product called Huel (similar to Soylent in the US) and the carbs in a virtually nothing so I end up having to add a banana to the mix to just have some carbs or im dead all day.

I tend to use as a breakfast and lunch replacement only though, seems to work in keeping my insulin in check

Best snack ever

Celery sticks stuffed with almond or peanut butter with raisins on top or apple slices or cranberries providing they don’t have added sugar.

This snack is an amazing way to fill you up and address fiber and water content in celery and nut butter add good fats and fiber esp if you buy crunchy and the grapes, or raisins or apple provides natural sweet if you want or need.

I do not think there is a down side to this snack.

And for those of you who might want to know (wink and smile) there are some large side benefits or shall I say ‘sweet’ side benefits for both men and woman and I will leave that comment for you to discover on your own.

EAT more celery. LMK what you think. YUM.

This is funny.

30 years ago I began to learn the ‘secrets’ of how to max out on nutrition and recovery.

I just watched a you tube video from a friend who told me this person was bad ass. The video was showing a micro nutrient shake not dissimilar to what I have been doing for years. This is another example of how science trails experience. I am not saying the shake and info was not interesting. It was but this information has been tried and based on the highest results at the highest levels. Jane Project was our first effort to expose some of that information.

I have found it almost impossible to have anyone deal successfully and strictly with my hamstrings yet when you are able to manage your hamstrings i.e. keeping them strong and loose for training, mostly all other training goes smoothly. IF you are tight in your hamstrings and glutes it’s tough to run fast. And it’s annoying. I felt a need to write this blog and it’s a bit obvious to me but I also find most are lazy hoping to have someone from the outside come along and ‘fix’ them.

Here is my blog on managing tight hamstrings for speed work and sprinting.

https://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/managing-hamstring-tightness-for-sprinting-and-speed-work

I hope you enjoy this post.

I find the warm up for training is one of the most overlooked aspects of the training process. Warm-ups will tell you as an athlete or you as a coach a great deal about what is working or what is not working.

https://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/speed-warm-up-plyos-and-weights

I enjoyed it.

Thank you.

Thanks Balance.

Rest is not special.

Resting and actively regenerating the central nervous system (CNS) is critical to our enjoyment in life which includes learning how to train hard and effectively and progress over time.

Without understanding rest and recovery consistent hard work of training in any area over the long run is not possible.

I believe training and coaching is still in the wild, wild west phase in terms of finding one’s own way. Many members of this website have gone on to “perform” well in their careers because of the guidance of this website but where might we learn about rest, recovery, and proper methodical training unless you study it from someone like Charlie who was a top athlete and created his coaching legacy?

“Perfect is the enemy of good”

There is no perfect information. It’s what you do with the information that will make an impact for you, your goals and how you wish to enjoy the quality of your life.

The information shared here and sold here might not be perfect to easily consume but it comes from the highest performance level in the world. Coaches who have mentored here are out performing on the fields and tracks across the globe.

It’s fair to qualify information. Where did the information come from, what was done with the information and how relevant is the information to what is going on in the world today?

Yesterday I was at the gym doing some drills, a few sprints over 10 meters and then a bit of bench with walking lunges. I had walked my french bulldog in the morning with the sunrising to warm up a bit and jog a bit and get some fresh air into my lungs.

By the time I got to the gym I was feeling pretty good and the workout was decent and today I am able to tell that I have not done lunges in a few weeks.

I was was noticing a few young woman likely not yet 25 years old. Both of these woman were doing 1/2 squats, then deads and then they moved to leg curls and then the workout appeared to be over. My guess without knowing for sure is these exercises were chosen to improve their back end equipment:) My other guess is function was second to aesthetics. My conclusion is they bought all the products on this website but decided to focus on what made them feel good.

Kidding.

I’d bet money that they have been following something they saw on a platform are repeating what they did. Good for them for not letting perfection interfere from their quest to get something done.

What I love is I am seeing more woman in the gym exercising and lifting weights. How fantastic is this!

What makes me giggle is all the exercises are the same with the woman and the guys. X sets, in a row, parked at the equipment until they are done. Then they move to the next piece of equipment and repeat the same method. Everyone has their phone. I never see stretching or breaks it’s all about the exercise and then nothing until the next exercise. If you ask to work in it’s like asking for them to relinquish their right arm or leg. Why bother as the more you know the more you are able to work around anyone.

Slowly the information gets out on how to train with method for efficiency and best results but it takes decades. Track as a sport has been used for others to train for other sports because the main components are speed, power and endurance and flexibility. Name a sport that does not use at least one of these qualities.

Read information from the best sources you are able to find and afford.

Remember how the history of this site came about as it gives you insight into why we are still here now moving past 2 decades.

My motivation is not to beat that running shoe company on NASDAQ or NYSE.

I am here to make sure as many people understand the story behind how and why this info came about as there are so many aspects of this story you will benefit from. The information about training is key to be the best sprinter in the world or the best sprinter in your world. But don’t let perfection be the enemy of good.

Buy books. Read books. Watch video from those who did something spectacular, unique and world beating.

Once you’ve acquired some information about quality training you will best be guided to understand other information.

Try, fail, improve, log activity, keep track of what your milestones are and the while the devil is in the details at the highest level, you don’t need to be perfect. Keep learning and asking questions.

How true.

So much training information is based on the practices of elite athlete models or plans for get fit(er) recreational sportspeople. If you are average or old you will often need to find your own way. Even a cut down model for that of a serious athlete or your younger self may no longer work.
Its illuminating how well RB34, in middle age, seems to be adapting to a Tony Holler feed the cats type of model (hope I am not misinterpreting his approach) that was designed for school athletes.

As one ages, people must focus much more on the correct dose of quality and qualified training method, combined with the balance of best practiced habits which naturally regenerate your system.

Sleep is at the top of this pyramid and all things which effect the quality of a good nights rest. Look at the old school ideas about sleep and reference Dr. Matthew Walker as one of the most relevant sources of info for sleep for 2021. ( artificial light, circadian rhythm disruption, fast or slow metabolizers of caffeine and the role it plays in quality sleep vs rest) If and or when you use tech to guide your resting heart rate or sleep score from the latest Oura ring ( one example only) you have an idea how to utilize the variables best suited for you the individual.

Nutrition and sleep work as drivers of one another. Alcohol is a known killer for sleep. Just becasue some seem to be able to drink beer and run 15k or do speed the next day does not make this habit a high performance contributing factor for success. Know the genetics you’ve been blessed with and understand how hormones change and how to optimize them as naturally as possible.

Stress is a natural and excellent byproduct of living a good life, yet when stress is out of balance with other aspects of your daily choices, your body will struggle to perform optimally. Are you chronically addicted to cortisol, thrill seeking and or an adrenalin junkie?

Methodology of Training
Learn from the best in the world and understand some basic variables of training like duration of training, load progression, theory vs real life training and what variables will give you the biggest bang for your efforts?

The journey matters and each of us has to find what works best for us. If we are lucky enough we have an interested coach, a passionate friend or team of people we trust to help guide us on this journey.