CNS stress from agility drills and quickness drills

Is there any CNS fatigue that results from doing a high volume of agility drills and fast leg drills? Just wondered about this since ive been wanting to do them on tempo days.

Depends on how much coordination it takes from you, I reckon. If I push it in juggling at all my CNS is wiped out. This despite the fact that the muscular effort is very low compared to an easy weights session. So if your training has incorporated these and they’re easy for you that’s one thing, but the more skill/focus/effort it takes the more you’ll feel it.

Do you think that these drills are of benefit to a sprinter? Increasing leg turnover speed.

Also, why do any speed-related work on tempo days? High speed, even w/ little load, is still stressful. I suggest doing them on a high intensity day, being mindful of the extra CNS load which in part depends on the above.

I’ll leave that to one of the sprint gurus. I’m just pointing out the oft-overlooked hit that coordination/concentration intensive work has on the CNS.

alrighty. lets get charlie’s thoughts on this :slight_smile: or someone :smiley:

im pretty sure charlie has said that agility type drills are a waste of time…

Are they all?
What about speed leg turnover drills? or rhythm speed butt kicks?

you need to do these on the tempo days for some reason?

naw dont have to, i guess ill jus keep the fast and slow stuff seperate.

But do you find these drills completely useless? Or is there some use to speeding up legturnover speed? Cause I know clyde hart and michael johnson did these drills a lot.

Well if MJ was really doing a bunch of 26 sec 200, he better have done something with some quickness!
Drills can help stimulate the nervous system if the numbers are kept low and complete relaxation is maintained. When going for frequency, the instant coordination begins to falter, the drill should be stopped and restarted after total recovery