CJ's Training Journal

Welcome to my training Journal. After some procrastinating and a little prompting from others I have made the first step and will attempt to post regularly….
Stats:
44 year old male, currently living in Central California.
69 inches, 188 lbs

Goals: I want to start racing up to 800 meters with a focus on 400 this winter and see how I progress in to running masters races next spring/summer. Drop in body weight to sub 180lbs.

I have not raced in a few years and the majority of my running races were from 800 meters to 5 miles.
PRs: 800:1:59, 2 mile:9:59 both at 27 years old, 5K:16:09 and 5 mile:27:18 (just putting them out there, but I am a realist and have not run these times in a few years….)
I have not run any 100 or 200 meter races in my life.

I have been somewhat of a confused athlete attempting to mix speed and endurance from the beginning of my competitive athletic career (around 14 years old). Although later in life, I am so glad I found the Charlie Francis system (thank you Fergus Connolly for the recommendation) and have been attempting to absorb all of his work in my free time….

Athletic Background: In HS I played football and ran middle distance in track and field and in doing so I attempted to get as big as possible before and during the football season and then drop upwards to 20 lbs during winter and spring track and field seasons. As you could have guessed it was not working well for me then, but I persisted and endured for many few years. I was fortunate to hook up with a gym owner after my freshman year who taught me the basics of weightlifting and it has always been part of my training program. Early on I thought I needed to run distance to prepare for football (if I only knew then what I know now….) with very little specific speed work training. In High School I listened to football coaches and peers and believed I had a better shot at playing football in college than track and I made the decision to leave T & F to focus on football my junior year in HS. I ended up injuring my knee and did not play senior year, probable cause: overtraining. I did not receive much attention from colleges after my injury and ended up playing at a small Division III American football college for a year where I worked into a starting cornerback position. I transferred schools after my freshman year and ended up at Rutgers University with the ambition to play Division I football. After a brief tryout with the team I was pretty much told thank you for your time. Interestingly enough one of the events during the Rutgers tryout was the timed mile that begs the question how does running the mile relate to playing football??? Unlike today, where the Rutgers football team is doing well, the team was not a very good team back then, wonder why….

After my football playing attempts were over I joined the Army Reserve Officer Training Program (ROTC) officer training program and this is when I first realized I should have stuck with track and field as I excelled in running distance races from 400 meters to 5+ miles. Physical fitness and adventure were my initial draw to the military as I love being active and physically fit. After college I joined the Army full time as an Infantry officer. There are two Army schools of thought on physical training: endurance and power/speed. I drank the endurance cool aid for over 17 plus years of my career where I attempted/struggled to transform into a distance/endurance athlete. I started training endurance early in my career when I trained for and competed in a number of events from the Army Best Ranger competition, then progressing to distance running races and triathlons up to Ironman distance. I am hard headed and in the end (17+ years) I realized that endurance training was not right for me. Switching my training philosophy to speed and power are more suited for my natural body design, and in the end I am more productive in work and life. In my spare time I study nutrition and exercise (I have a Masters in Human Nutrition) and look forward to working in the field some day.

Enough about me, here is my journal:
For the past three months I been kind of a GPP like training period where I train High intensity 2 X per week ( Medicine ball explosive throws plus weight training)/ low intensity 3 X per week(tempo runs and MB circuit training)

An example of my general weekly training schedule for the past three months is the following:

I practice Qigong in the AM/PM
Monday: Hi Intensity run (med ball explosive throws or 10-30 meter runs)/lift weights (Squat/Bench/Bent over rows/pull ups)
Tues: Low intensity (tempo runs and/or MB circuit training)
Weds: Off
Thurs: Hi Intensity run/lift(Deadlift/Standing presses/upright rows/weighted pull ups)
Fri: Low intensity (tempo runs and/or MB circuit training)
Sat: Qigong(1 hour class) followed by 1 hour massage
Sun: Low intensity (tempo runs and/or MB circuit training)

My nutrition is pretty sound with my background and I certified in and follow Bill Walcott’s Metabolic Typing Diet/supplement program. One big weakness in my nutrition living in Central California is I drink too much wine as the Zinfandel grown here are incredible…

9/13/09
Not sure what I was thinking but I decided to go to the track to run a few 400s for time at about 90+ % to assess my current conditioning….
Rode Bicycle to track then Warm up
1 X 400 meter (69.30)
5 min RI
1 X 400 meter (66.40)
Cool down
Good feeling being back on the track after a long absence, but I will pay for it Mon/Tues

9/14/09
Warm up
1 X 10 minutes Medicine Ball (MB) Circuit with 8lb MB
3 min Rest Interval (RI)
1 X 10 minutes MB Circuit with 15lb MB
3 min RI
1 X 5 min MB Circuit with 15lb MB
Stretch
Goal was to complete three circuits, but ran out of time (and energy). A little sore from yesterday

9/15/09
Warm Up
Tempo
250 +250+250+250
250 +250+250+250
250 +250+250+250
Cool down/ stretch
Very sore from Sunday

9/16/09
Off

Glad to see another masters athlete on this board. Good luck man!

e.

9/17/09
Warm up
Medball Explosive Throws with 10lb MB
4 throws front with walk back RI
2min RI
4 throws Back with walk back RI
2min RI
4 throws 1 Hop front with walk back RI
2min RI
4 throws front with walk back RI
5 min RI

Weights

Squat
8 reps 185lbs
8 reps 205 lbs
6 reps 225 lbs
5 reps 225 lbs

Bench
8 reps 185lbs
8 reps 205 lbs
6 reps 225 lbs
6 reps 225 lbs

Very good workout, but did not finish weight session as I ran out of time as I had to get back for a meeting…

9/18/09

Off from work today and walked kids to school followed my 21 minute EZ jog. I have an Army Physical Training test coming up in 2 weeks consisting of max push ups in 2 min/max sit ups in 2 minutes and timed 2 mile run. At 44 yrs old I cannot just jump in to this test with minimal specific training anymore without paying the price afterwards.

21 minute EZ continuous run
Followed by 10 minutes of Medicine Ball Abdominal training of either 30 or 60 seconds on/30 sec RI

We are off to Chicago for an extended weekend to watch the Bruce Springsteen concert on Sunday. We are psyched as my wife an I are originally for New Jersey (Bruce’s home state) where I trained at the same gym as Bruce when he was preparing for an early 1980s tour, and this is my kids first chance to see him live.

Good luck with the army physical test and have fun at the concert ! What are your aims for your 400 this year based on your time trial runs?

Thank you Chris, initial 400 goal is sub 56 seconds.

Charlie

9/19-9/21/ 09
Took Off from exercising as we traveled to Chicago for the weekend and had fun

9/22/09
Planned on exercising today but as this is my 1st day back to work and was jammed in a number of meetings and catch up work I could not make it happen.

not having that much fun…

9/23/09

Warm up

MB Circuit workout:
1 X 8 LB MB 10 minutes continuous
2 min RI
1 X 15LB MB 10 minutes continuous
2 min RI

Cool Down/ Stretch

Tweaked my left calf while jogging warming up and still sore this morning…

hate that :frowning: hope it comes right quickly

9/25/09
Weight session

Squats:
Warm up of lighter squats starting with no weights up to 185 lbs :

1 X 6 X 210 lbs
1 X 6 X 225 lbs
1 X 6 X 240 lbs
1 X 3 X 250 lbs

Hamstring Curls (prone):
1 X 10 X 50
1 X 8 X 70
1 X 8 X 85

Bench Press:
Warm up to 185lbs
1 X 8 X 205 lbs
1 X 6 X 220 lbs
1 X 6 X 230 lbs
1 X 5 X 235 lbs

DB Bent Over Rows
1 X 8 X 25 lbs
1 X 8 X 45 lbs
1 X 8 X 60 lbs
1 X 8 X 75 lbs
1 X 6 X 85 lbs

Abs: 3 sets of hanging leg raises to failure

Left calf still a bit sore so I did not include running in my workout today

Thank you John, I used to tweak my calves regularly when I was distance athlete and it is frustrating, but I have not experienced this in a while.
The sad thing is I was at such a light jog when it happened, but that said I should have warmed the muscles better prior to starting to jog…

Take care, Charlie

9/26/09

1 hour Qigong class followed by

75 minute deep tissue massage

Great rest and recovery day!

9/27/09
Tempo Day:

Warm up (Temps still over 100 degrees F on Central California)

10 X 120s with 50 yd walk RI

100 yd RI then

10 X 120s with 50 yd walk RI

20 minutes of MB Abs while watching NY Giants and Jets win!!

Cool down and stretch

Left calf still tender

whereabouts? right at the bottom of the soleus?

That is where mine is and talking to a friend today he has exactly the same injury :o

My injury is at the bottom of the gastroc muscle (left side).

9/28/09

EZ 45 min warm up session

9/29/09

Took Army Physical Training test this morning

Push Ups (max in 2minutes): 70
Sit Ups (max in 2 minutes):78
2 Mile Run: 12:48

Felt pretty good on the run considering the longest I have run in preparation are primarily tempo sessions of 400 meter intervals

Weights:

Seated Dumbbell Presses
1 X 8 X 40lbs
1 X6 X 55lbs
1 X6 X65lbs

DB Upright rows
1 X 8 X 30lbs
1 X 8 X 40lbs
1 X6X 50lbs

9/30/09

Still a little sore from yesterday’s test so I spent 45 minutes warming the muscles building up to light 40 meter EZ runs , some stretching and then did some light (up to 135 lbs ) squats.

how did these compare with requirements and / or your goals?

My results max the test 100 points in each event for a 300 score. As for goals I did not have any because I do not train for the test as I just do the minimum these days in training so I am not paying for it in the next few days after the test as I learned the hard way a few times…

One issue in my opinion with our Army physical training is it is focused on Soldiers performing well on the test as commander are graded on their unit’s average. The purpose of the test is supposed to be just one of many tools for the commander to assess the state of physical fitness of his/her unit.

10/01/09

Warm up

MB Circuit workout:
1 X 8 LB MB 10 minutes continuous
2 min RI
2 min RI
1 X 15LB MB 7 minutes continuous

Cool Down/ Stretch