christophe lemaitre documentary

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDZXrck1O8

It’s 25:00 minutes long and has a bunch of training and racing shots. It looks like he does some training at a horse track(maybe on a grass infield or something, barefoot). It is in french subtitles and majority french speaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itp_lW-F9HQ
It’s an asics advert for lemaitre and some talk about his training.

-at 0:36secs into vid, carraz is commenting on a portion of christophes 200m race(somewhere between 50-100m), where he says, “then comes a phase where you slacken off slightly without losing any speed. It prepares you for the end of the curve. For example, christophe goes from a 2.40 or 2.50m stride, to a 2.70m stride.”

From a pure mechanics standpoint, there is far more energy demand during acceleration then there is in the maintenance of velocity- due to momentum. Thus, in the case of human locomotion, provided biomechanics and the speed reserve are sufficient (which are clearly major disclaimers), the rhythmic qualities (which mechanically optimize the preservation of momentum) and bioenergetic machinery are the difference makers.

As much as I struggle to say it, I feel that Lemaitre is very close to maximizing his existing adaptive limits and the biggest quality holding him back is, dare I say, general strength.

If he goes all of a sudden up from a 2.50m to 2.70m for 10 or 15 or 20m at 60 or 70 or 80m(somewhere between 50-100 and before the end of the curve), wouldn’t he have to train/input that in to the christophes bodies ability by doing it in training runs(at certain points between 50m and end of curve) which would kill his frequency abit and force him into slightly pushing out the back? I had seen another vid where he had cones around the bend.

Well, Lemaitre is definitely a long accelerator; which, for certain is exaggerated when he runs a 200m. So my estimation is that a smooth acceleration for him in the 200m ultimately synergizes his relaxation/increased stride length with the speed endurance realm of the latter half of the race- as opposed to some sudden shift that the literal interpretation of what his coach said might suggest.

We’d have to see the stride length metrics to be certain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dhxWbw5a0

It feels good to see that he’s at least been doing some general strength for the past 4 years(video above from 2010- lemaitre lifting)

Indeed, albeit via subpar and high risk mechanical execution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRY_J9Iy9mE
Maurice greene on squats

-at 1:50 maurice squats to a 1/4 depth to demonstrate, than further to a 1/2 squat. Over the past few years for myself, when squatting only 3 or 4 times a month if at all, I pretty much find it hard to achieve 1/2 or parallel depth. Its basically as if i have to warm/force my depth to 1/2 or parallel depth over the course of 5 reps.

[QUOTE=As much as I struggle to say it, I feel that Lemaitre is very close to maximizing his existing adaptive limits and the biggest quality holding him back is, dare I say, general strength.[/QUOTE]

James
Do you think Lemaitre lacks general strength only, or does he have a postural weakness ?
I have always thought his style represented poor technique and stability. Perhaps there should be
a focus on core strength. And some brisk tempo working on good technique.

To the contrary oldbloke, I admire many aspects of Lemaitre’s sprint mechanics. No doubt, however, that any ‘strength’ that he lacks- he lacks all over his body. I do not distinguish between general strength and postural strength. It’s all the same to me until we specify some specific movement or body part.

Different what what we’ve seen in some of the posted videos, I would much rather see him strength train like Bolt (with more machines) as the machines will allow someone like him to more quickly advance his general strength and morphology.

Try doing wide stance squats. this will allow you to get good depth.

Wide squats can also cause a lot of other issues with the hips etc…

Genetics help most guys at the end of the 200 more than any fancy technical strategies.

I completely agree. The end of the 200m has always been my strongest part of the race (if I’m not leading at this point, I’ll pick off a guy or two without every getting picked off myself). How did I become strong at the end of races? I never run more than 50-60m in practice; I have no race strategy (I bust my tail from the gun and just compete); and the camera always catches me with a ton of strain in my face. However, all of these against-the-norm aspects of my training/strategy never held me back from beating the relaxed, smooth-running guy over the last 100m. For some reason I’m just built to finish in a 200m. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for the 400m.

Maybe a progression within the squat session:? 3 sets of sumo stance deadlifts(60-75%of ‘6 rep max’ ), 2 sets of wide stance squats(narrower foot stance then sumo stance but wider than shoulderwidth(60-80%of ‘6 rep max’), 2 sets of shoulder width stance squat(60-80%of ‘6rep max’) feet straight ahead creating torque as kelly starrett likes.

Well from my experience, I like em better. I feel them more in my glutes and hamstrings that conventional squats. But as with any exercise, if it causes issues dont do it. I stopped doing lunges cause I would constantly get hamstring pulls whenever I included lunges in my workouts.

I don’t think exercises are the cause of injuries - maybe the execution and implementation into the program was to blame?

yea they can be dangerous. When I first did them i was sore as hell. I had to be careful during my workouts and do an extra warmup. Common sense will help keep people away from injury. ONce adaptation takes place the soreness will subside. Another exercise I like to do know, which will scare you is snatch grip deads. My back has never hurt that bad after a workout before.

Never had any issues with Snatch deads, I usually perform most of my deads on a podium (2-4 inches).

ive don’t those before. this was my first time doing snatch deads, I will probably eventually do them on the plat. ive done reg deads on a plat before. big difference.