Chris6878's journal.

I’ve originally came from a Middle distance performance standpoint.
So i can run either way (sort of…)

Back when i was doing pure sprinting - bodyweight was 80kg - could squat around 200kg - Bench around 140kg.
Now - bodyweight 69-70kg (body fat = what’s that?? non existant…) Squat = only bodyweight during running circuits - Bench = only push ups during running circuits, but, last time i gave bench a go, 80kg… And i did get up to 26 chin ups a couple of months ago. - I’m a Personal Trainer by trade - and i do a Lot of dumbbell and cable work - eg, Standing Cable presses - It’s like a standing dumbbell bench press, but with cables - I can do as many reps on 13 plates a side (??kg) as a guy who can bench well over 100kg

I’m probably the strongest 10km runner around… (well, that can run under 35min for 10k)

So which body type do you like the best. THe sprinter or distance

Good Q.
I like the sprinters look more - but, I Love feeling the way a distance guy does More!
At my peak 800 form - I was way down to 59kg… a wee bit too light…
So, at 69/70kg now, I’m fairly happy - I would love to hit the weights, but i’ll hit 75kg pretty quickly - which won’t help my distance goals

Sprinting used to wipe my CNS reserves - the day after a Speed session, it would almost feel like Depression… (i don’t miss this feeling)

Distance hurt for a couple of years, in a different way, mostly in the legs - I had to learn to loosen them up and strengthen to withstand longer runs.
I can’t do the 100mile weeks like Top coaches recommend - I don’t know how they do it.
Two different occasions, i’ve hit 100km weeks for 1 week (leading up, not just bam…) Man it was hard.
I guess it takes a few yrs? I might give it another go soon??

If i could re-train myself when i was say 18 knowing what i know now… (i’m 37 now)

I just looked up the day at Masters Nationals - I should have gone - Could have snagged a few medals for sure

4/7
Woke up and was still sore from friday. Hams and lo back. I felt about 70%
2x20 isorobic
3x10 blocks isorobic
2x10 blocks
2x40 blocks
4x20 fly 30 run up. I ran the same times as last week 2.09-2.03. I felt better last week so I guess i should be ok with the times
1x120. I only did just to run with partner. ran 13.6 again. Atleast this time I know I slowed down the last 20 after my partner ran into me and hit my arm.

WEights.
sq 5x5x225
bench 3x5x225
sl back ext 2x5 on each leg.

Im hoping im not too terrible sore this week like last week.

4/8 tempo
5x100 warmup then drills
2x5x100 non stop with situps inbetween
massage that night

4/9
Gym in the AM
all back and abs
2x10 pull ups
5x5x45 pullups
2x10 underhand pull ups

Couldnt hit the track until 7pm I felt decent
3x10 bs, 1x30 bs felt a little clumsy with the starts today
1x300 split 250,50. I felt slow and missed the 250 time. Then I ran 80 instead of 50 because I couldnt see my mark
1x150 19 secs. Damn that was slow. I ran 100 curve then 50 straight. Im definitly a terrible curve runner
1x100 11.24 I was able to get into a good relaxation phase the last 30 meters. I couldve had a much better first 20

4/10
easy tempo 10x100 abs

4/11
am gym
bench 2x5x205, 3x5x225
pull downs behind neck 3x8
rows 3x6
pull ups over and under 2x10

big circuit tonight

not to try and move the sprinter vs. distance body type debate off topic, but I am curious about the above quote. Was it only HI sprinting that did this to you, or HI training in general (ie. weightlifting, plyos, etc)? And have you been experiencing “runner’s high” since switching?

My roommate from my freshman year of college actually exhibited withdrawal symptoms when he was forced to take a week off from distance running in between xc and indoor (couldn’t eat or sleep, was so anxious he was constantly freaking out and just in general looked like a corpse; all symptoms gone after two days of running again).

In my experience, I’m not sure about pure speedwork, but post-resistance training and post-controlled speedwork/intensive tempo I definitely feel a “high” that carries into the next day, and the day after offdays is when I’ll feel the depression-like feelings (as opposed to after speedwork days). Distance running (did a year or so of xc in early high school) never really seemed to do the trick for me. Almost like I feel a boost from the intense CNS stimulus whereas you seem to have felt a dip

I usually feel like crap before a tempo session, especially if I did a speed the day before. During the tempo once I get warm I feel great most of the time. THe hours after an intense speed and gym workout I do find myself sometimes feeling so tired that im sad. Ill sit on the counch and frown for no apparent reason.

4/12 speed end
1x10,20,30,60 from blocks
2x120 standing. 12.88,13.06 Legs felt decent. I had a lil bit of wind on the runs but im happy to finally dip under 13. I was spent after the last 120. I had to crawl to the weight room
Deads-5x225, 4x5x275
20 depth jumps
3x5 ghr.
I probably couldve gone heavier on the deads but when I first began I was still beat from the runs. I felt better by the end.

4/13
tempo 20x100 grass

4/14 off
4/15 bench am. 2x5x205 3x5x225
pm speed. Got rained out. I tried to run through the rain but it got worse.
6x10 bs. 1x40 1x60 bs

weights pm
squats- 3x5x225 1x5x275 1x5x315
sl back ext 2x10
abs

4/16
back am. 3x10 oh pullus
5x5x45 oh pull
2x10 under hand

tempo tonight
5x100 warmup
3x5x100 40-48 sec rest rep/2-3min per set.

How was your fall training - any gpp/spp details?

I’ll have to up my fall workouts. Basically started in August. Stayed on grass until jan. doing a short to long. But I’ll past the workouts sometime this week.

4/17
am bench 5x5x205 felt a lil weak this morning. THe 205 wasnt hard but I didnt have the energy to go up. taking off today. going out of town. Im hoping to find a place in orlando to workout for the next few days

4/18
In orlando with wife. That morning i decided to check out the wide world of sports since they have a track. I know they will charge so i am prepared to pay. What i wasnt prepared for was them telling me people cant train on the track. I say wtf, whats the use of a track if its only used 3 times a year for 3 meets. ofcourse no answer. shit made no fucking sense. meanwhile i see tons of people at the disney resorts running down the street, on the sidewalk, in the grass, trying to get a workout in. I wonder how much money they could get by charging to use the facilities. Retards

so I google a another track and a park comes up, its like 30 mins away and I say screw it i need to run. I finally arrive and what do i see, a track made out of road, not gravel, not soft spikable asphlat, but highway road. wtf. I then spot a baseball field and go hop the fence.
I had planned to do 200,150 but that wasnt happening. so I just marked off 60-70 m and did some runs
3x3x60-70meters. 20sec rep/6 mins per set.

I thought i was gonna die byt the last one. I was going pretty fast. Never though I would feel that out of breath. it was a tough one. I hate disney

4/19 off
4/20 tempo 2000m
10x100
2x300
2x200
abs and glute work

What are your times for 100-300m tempo runs?

Was just shaking my legs out today after returning from Orlando. But this year I run the 100s in 16-17 secs, with 50m walk. The 300s I haven’t timed. Most the time I time the 100 and 200 runs. The 200s are between 30-33