upper body:

bench
rear delt (rotator)
shoulder press
lat raises
incline bench
bicep work
dips

alternating workouts with higher reps (10-12) and one with heavier weight (85%) followed by a higher rep superset.

working great so far :slight_smile:

good workout yesterday

4 sets leg press - 540 for 15 reps
3 sets lunge walk (50 pound dumbells)
3 sets SLDLs (185 for 8 reps)
2 sets pulldowns (120 for 15 reps 45 seconds between sets
2 sets seated rows (130 for 15 reps 45 seconds between sets
3 sets calf raise (220 for 10 reps)
2 sets ham curl (110 for 12 reps)
cooldown

Good upper body workout.
treadmill 10 minutes
4 sets bench
3 sets rear delt (rotator work)
3 sets dumbell shoulder press
3 sets dips
2 x 2 bicep dumbell work
lots of ab work
static stretching

Decided to try a heavier bench workout. (Havent gone to max in a couple months)

225 just FLEW up like it was nothing. I was pretty happy but decided not to go any heavier. BW is now 194.

Cheers,
Chris

keep up the good work
aloha

Thanks!

I cant wait for the snow to melt and I can get back on the track again!

Cheers,
Chris

Another good workout tonight. :slight_smile:

4 sets leg press (630 for 10 reps)
3 sets lunges (50 pound dumbells for 12 steps)
3 sets SLDL (185 for 8 reps)
2 sets pulldowns
2 sets seated cable row
3 sets calf raise
10 minutes stretching

More of a circuit workout than a strength workout though the strength numbers are starting to look good again :slight_smile:

Less than 45 seconds rest between sets for most of the workout.

cheers,
Chris

good upperbody workout yesterday

4 sets bench (high rep day) 165 for sets of 12 with 45 seconds rest)
3 sets rear delt/rotator work
3 sets dumbell shoulder press (55 for 12)
2 sets of dips (15 reps)
2 sets lateral dumbell raise
2 sets wall curls
2 sets seated curls
3 sets hanging leg raise
3 sets incline situps
5 minutes static stretching

cheers,
Chris

Good workout tonight.

3 sets leg press (540 for 12)
3 sets lungewalk (up to 60 pound dumbells)
3 sets SLDLs (185 for 6 but grip was failing after the lunges)
3 sets pulldowns
3 sets calf raise
5 minutes stretching

Bought a new pair of running shoes for when the weather gets better. ASICS 2100.

Pretty comfortable and great support

Cheers
Chris

I agree - Great trainers - I had the 2090 from last year - best I’ve ever had - I just got the new kayano’s now - like running on air lol.

One thing - if ur gonna use them a lot make sure ur feet don’t get weak thru the support - I’ve got a feeling they made my already weak feet weaker - a problem that’s now improving since I’ve started doing regular toe crunches.

Stay fit - Pete :slight_smile:

Thanks Gloop! I’ll definitely watch out for that :slight_smile:

Another good workout week.

Did upper body a couple days ago, felt good.

Today was a leg workout

4 sets stepups to bench (155 for 10 per leg)
3 sets lungewalk (55 pound dumbells for 12 steps)
3 sets SLDL’s (185 for 6) I need straps, after lunges my grip fails way before my hamstrings :slight_smile:
2 sets pulldowns (150 for 12 reps)
2 sets seated rows (120 for 12 reps)
3 sets calf raise (235 for 12)

Good workout, weather is really getting nicer, can’t wait to start GPP and get some quality hill work in :smiley:

weather is really warming up! Snow is almost gone!

I should be on the track this week if all goes well :smiley:

good upperbody workout tonight. (3 sets each, low rest time between sets

treadmill
bench
rotator
shoulder dumbell press
curls
incline dumbell
dips
abs
treadmill

Cheers
Chris

BTW I bet I have eaten a pound of chocolate over Easter. :slight_smile:

It’s a weakness of mine hehe

Pretty good workout last night but have DOMS today. (Might need an unloading week)
treadmill
leg press
SLDLs
lungewalk (60 pound dumbells)
chins
seated rows
calf raise
ham curls
treadmill

Cheers,
Chris

good workout today. Did all the exercises really quick with little rest between sets

bench (up to 245 for single then supersetted with 135 for 15 reps right aftwards)
rear delt iso work
dumbell shoulder press (50s for 15 reps)
dips (sets of 15)
biceps (concentration curl and seated)
4 sets hanging leg raises
4 sets incline situps

Good workout, felt nice and strong. strength endurance is definitely improving.

Cheers
Chris

your strength endurance is looking very good., along with the treadmill seems like perfect combination. all you need to do now when the weather improves is apply what uve done in the gym, and make it make sense on the track. Power 200s is the key… (u know the rest :slight_smile: )

Hey Chris,

Nice work … I wish I were half as dedicated as you are.

I live in Oakville, and I read in one of your other posts that you now live there as well. I’m not sure if you currently train with a club or have other training partners, but was wondering if you’d be interested in getting together for one or two track sessions per week.

I’m a masters athlete as well (M38) with similar goals as yours for 2005:
200m - 23.30 (2004 - 23.83)
400m - 52.40 (2004 - 53.90)
800m - 2:05 (2004 - wasn’t crazy enough to try one)

Where do you currently plan on doing your track work? I do most of my work at Iroquois Ridge HS.

Let me know if your willing/capable.

Keep up the good work!!

Malik

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Malik I am definitely up for getting together for a workout a couple of times a week!

What days do you typically train?

Where in Oakville are you? I am Lakeshore and Burloak.

I can’t remember the name of the highschool track I trained on. I think it’s called Trafalgar highschool. Just east of old Oakville.

I am flexible to train anywhere in Oakville.

What days do you typically do your running workouts? Is there access to weights at Iroquois Ridge HS?

I am planning to hit 2 high intensity days a week with max V work typically being on saturday.

Post your training schedule and we’ll plan a time to meet for a workout.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently I do most of my training in the trails. I vary from doing hills, fartleks, and long tempo (5k pace) just to build up my fitness. I’ve also started doing some short tempo (12-16x100 in 17-18 w/30s recovery) on a soccer field now that all the snow has melted.

I know there are probably a lot of people who think I do way too much distance, but that’s what I felt comfortable doing over the winter due to the weather and my overall fitness level. My biggest problem last year was that I started training in April (after a 17 year layoff) without a proper base. I found that I didn’t have the fitness to handle the SE session I needed to do in order to survive the last 100m of a 400m.

Sad to say, I don’t have a proper plan outlined yet, but I know that I want to work on speed and speed endurance. Maybe that’s an area you can help me with seeing that you have a lot of valuable information on training.

Wednesdays and Saturdays are probably good for me, but I may not be able to commit to Wednesdays all time due to my work schedule. I can try work around whichever days are good for you though. Now that the weather’s finally getting nice, I’m really excited about hitting the track again. I don’t know if you’ve taken a look at the fixtures this year, but there are a lot of meets this summer!

The track at Iroquois Ridge is located behind the HS at 1123 Glenashton Drive (near Eighth Line). The track was resurfaced last year I believe, and has been good to my knees. I used to go to a track in Burlington (Nelson Park) or Centennial Park (Etobicoke) before I realized there was a decent track close to me. I am flexible to train anywhere as well though. What’s the Trafalgar track like?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Malik

That sounds great man, I am definitely up for some hill work and fartlek work as well.

I too need to get my base up again. I have been strong in the weightroom and on the treadmill but there is a world of difference on the track :slight_smile:

The track at Trafalgar is ok. I trained there when it was quite cold so the surface seemed very hard to me.

What is your typical fartlek workout consist of?

Are you running the hill sessions on grass in spikes or on pavement in flats? Maybe if the weather is good this weekend we can get together for a hill workout on Saturday.

Cheers, looking forward to a great workout!

Chris