Chinese Indoor 60m record broken

Chinese Indoor 60m record broken
Wednesday 21 March 2007
20-year-old Wen Yongyi bettered his own 60m national record in the second indoor meet of the season in Beijing (20 / 21 March).

MEN

The Chinese indoor campaign concluded with Wen running in the first of two ‘finals’ lowering the old record of 6.61 seconds, co-held by Hu Kai, by 0.02 seconds down to 6.59. Wen set his 100m personal best last season in May with a 10.30 win in Bangkok and ended the season with a seventh place finish at the Asian Games.

The winner of the second ‘final’ race Du Bing, also went under the old record winning in 6.60, with Zhang Peimeng finishing second in 6.63.

In the 60m Hurdles Shi Dongpeng recorded another win in 7.73 just edging Ji Wei, who set a personal best of 7.75.

19-year-old World Junior Championships silver medallist Yang Yansheng opened his season with a 5.15m win in the Pole Vault. 17-year-old Long Jump star Zhang Xiaoyi suffered a rare loss to Yu Zhenwei who tied his personal best with 7.87m against Zhang’s 7.86m result.

National indoor record holder Gu Junjie (16.96m in 2005) reached his best result for two years winning the Triple Jump with a 16.84m distance.

Zhu Hengjun won the Heptathlon with a total of 5554 before Guo Weizhao setting the national junior indoor record with 5502 points (senior implements). National record holder in Decathlon and indoor Heptathlon and only Chinese to exceed 8000 points in decathlon, Qi Haifeng, was surprisingly far away from his best form and could only finish fourth with 5376 points.

WOMEN

In the women’s events 17-year-old Zheng Xingyuan set Asian junior indoor record with her 1.92m winning High Jump. He Yanhong and 18-year-old Qiao Yanrui tied for second with a personal best of 1.87m for both. Zhang Yingzhu (please note that the name is Zhang and not Zhao as previously reported) added another Pole Vault win with an impressive 4.40m result.

In the women’s Shot Put 16-year-old super star Gong Lijiao continued her strong winter form. Gong added another win with a 18.73m toss winning before last year’s two top Chinese, Li Meiju second at 18.56m and Li Ling third with a personal best of 18.44m. Another junior, 18-year-old Liu Xiangrong took the fourth place with a big personal best of 17.89m.

Mirko Jalava for the IAAF

Click here for Results

Look at the legs on him, think he squats? :smiley:

Like the australian swim coach said towards the chinese swim team. China will be raedy for beijing in 2008 and that we wont see that much from chinese athletes this year but when the olympics start a team that will dominate will show up.

There is so much potential for this record to be much faster - massive talent pool is one reason. Providing quality training is applied.

I think Louie Simmons said the same thing. They are waiting till the olympics to show what they have. Should be interesting to see.

What about the legs? They’re not that muscular. I bet they’re short though.

big calves too :smiley:

Is that mo greene falling in the background :smiley:

Would not surprise me… :smiley:

Pardon me Ronnie Coleman. I waited to reply, I gave it a day, came back, looked at the picture again that I posted, and I have to agree with myself, those are muscular legs, pretty good quad sweep, and his calves are quite impressive, his height has nothing to do with how muscular I beleive his legs are.

Neo

having spent so much time coaching in Asia since 2004 the pre conceived notion that all asians are small couldn’t be further from the truth…

there are small people all over the world in every country and race and with every 4th person in the world coming from chinese decent chances are you will see more of them…

my track team in Taiwan only had 1 guy under 5’11

Laugh now, Let’s see who’s laughing after the 2008 Olympic Games are over.

The majority of us are though. I am 5"6 but if I am walking down a street in Malaysia, I am about average height.

im chinese but i live in the uk and im 15 and 6’1…taller than both my parents.

Do you think they will have a representative in the sprints or jumps besides Liu? Or are you talking about all olympic sports in general?

In general, but I’m not ruling out anything specific. If they can develop Liu, why not others?

could be genetics as well, I have pretty similar leg size, and while they have gotten bigger from squatting, they have always been bigg’ish naturally.

lol, im not attributing all his leg growth to squatting, it was more or less a joke… uggh
but nobody is born with legs like those, for him to break the indoor 60m record, he obviously built those legs…

Typical Asian legs - well a certain Chinese species trait :slight_smile:

I’m like that as well, 28 inch legs, almost 17 inch calves etc all genetics and some fullsquats plus a load of jumping

I think they will
Last year they won several medals in jumps at the World Junior Champs (www.iaaf.org/WJC06/index.html)