Charlie's Influence.

http://www.completetrackandfield.com/100-meter-training/

Watch the vids.

like It, thanks!

PERIODIZATION (my understanding)

GPP (4-8weeks)
phase 1 : accel (10-30m) + extensive tempo (65-75%intensity)

SPP (8-12weeks)
phase 2: accel + max velocity (30-60m) + intensive tempo (80-85% intensity)

phase 3: accel + max velocity + speed endurance 80-150m (90-95% intensity)

phase 4(if needed): main focus speed endurance 80-150m + speed endurance 2 150-300m (all 90-95% intensity)

also found this http://completetrackandfield.com/archives/

Charlie didn’t use intensive tempo, and the extensive tempo would have been maintained all the way through.

Overstriding is a strength issue for almost all who suffer from it, but it can be fixed. in the weight room.

anyone know what he mean by that?

from that article:
http://www.completetrackandfield.com/running-faster.html

I’m not familiar with that coach. Has anyone heard of him or athletes he has worked with?

Flash makes a good point. Many people adopt components of Charlie’s approach, but for some reason leave out other aspects or add in their own elements. If intensive tempo is used, how does it impact the quality of the speed sessions? And, if you drop extensive tempo, what are the implications for recovery and general fitness?

I have a number of athletes who come to me with overstriding issues. They can also power clean 140kg and full squat 450lbs.

Overstriding is a technical emphasis problem that is exacerbated by lack of strength. The weight room will not fix it. A good progression of technical work, drills and appropriate sprint workouts will resolve overstriding.

Just because someone has a website, posts “impressive” credentials and can offer products, doesn’t mean they know what they are talking about.

number two

would you mind giving some tips on how to cure overstriding?

I am myself quite strong that’s why I was asking, for myself I think It’s all technical

…just a question for you…:slight_smile:

In your opinion can structural problems cause overstride?
When do you speak about lack of strength…what are you referring?

…just a question for you…:slight_smile:

In your opinion can structural problems cause overstride?
When do you speak about lack of strength…what are you referring?

I can’t recall ever seeing an over-striding case where a structural issue was the cause. Although I have seen over-striding occur due to inhibition (i.e. sub-consciously guarding on ground contact). In fact, I have an athlete rehabbing from ACL surgery that has some stride irregularities due to this inhibition problem. But this is an unilateral problem (one leg).

In most cases, athletes who over-stride are trying to get too much out of one stride (i.e. pushing out the back-side too much) or reaching too far in front because someone has told them to “claw” or “paw” the ground. And, in many cases, if you are pushing too much on one stride, the cycling through of strides is delayed causing your front-side foot to reach out in front. In an effort to maintain equilibrium, your body will lengthen the phase of stride to match the delay created by the other leg. Because of the cyclical nature of running, over-emphasizing one aspect of the stride will wreak havoc on the entire movement.

I seem to fall back on use of the Running ‘A’ drill to help resolve a lot of the mechanical issues experienced by over-striders. I emphasize the vertical nature of the Running A drill and tell athletes when they are running at full speed, it should feel like the Running A drill (up and down vertical motion – not forward and back). If it feels like you are pushing and pulling, you will likely be over-striding.

In the practical sessions provided with Charlie’s South Africa series, there is a drill used by Charlie to improve sprint mechanics. It is a very good drill if you know how to provide the right cues to your athlete.

thank you very much number two

Of course acknowledging Charlie’s influence would have devalued his system which is available for a limited time at a super low price! :rolleyes: and that 10 stride test is interesting. From the way I understand it Ben would have been regressing using that as his race distribution changed over time to where he was taking more strides at the start.

Having just watched the NFL combine and seen guys cover 10 yards in 6.5-7.0 steps in times ranging from 4.3’s to 4.9’s, I’m wondering about the value of a 10 step test.

From the athlete-in-training point of view, I see no value to such test whatsoever, as having any kind of mark on the track and trying to ‘reach out’ to it while sprinting, will only cause stiffness and the syndrome of over-striding. I think it’s only interesting from a statistical point of view, or for a coach’s tool to know the stride coverage of the athlete, although that’s the last piece of information to worry about (in my opinion, of course).

I was just pointing out his influence. Never said dude was actually following charlie’s workouts. Alot of the stuff He was talking about I dont agree with but the use of charlie’s ideas is undeniable.

The guy obviously has a very good pedigree and is influenced by Tellez as well.

Lots of coaches use Int tempo as a lead in to Speed End. Common and effective.

Flash, doesn’t Charlie mainly dislike Int tempo IF it is used between Hi Int days?

One man’s Int tempo is another man’s controlled speed work is another man’s split run. Similar speeds in all though.

The guy obviously has a very good pedigree and is influenced by Tellez as well.

Lots of coaches use Int tempo as a lead in to Speed End. Common and effective.

Flash, doesn’t Charlie mainly dislike Int tempo IF it is used between Hi Int days?

One man’s Int tempo is another man’s controlled speed work is another man’s split run. Similar speeds in all though.

What part do you disagree with?

I coach HS girls. Big group of freshmen this year and every single one of them is an overstrider. All reaching out and almost all landing heel first. I think that, growing up, they have been told that to increase speed they must increase stride length. Hard to get them to change, but I do a lot of A runs and even A marching.

Number Two summed it up well. The progression of speed elements from short to long is clearly influenced by Charlie, but the tempo component is not and could interfere with the speed progression. The key to Charlie’s approach is a constant emphasis on the interaction of all components. Therefore, just adopting one element of the training (speed) without properly integrating others (tempo) might not produce optimal results.

Your comment about intensive tempo is correct, but what you describe is really a form of special endurance, which is more appropriate for HI days. What do you do between HI workouts? Extensive tempo or some rough alternative.