Charlie Francis's library ?

Hi folks long time no see :slight_smile: Hi Angela !

The more I progress through my career and studies/writings the more I find myself reminiscing the late Mr. Francis. What first started as a love for his professionalism in the field is now much more, for the only reason he could write certain things the way he did in his materials, must be rooted way beyond fitness, or at least in a different style to what we see in 2019.

I was wondering what Charlie’s library looked like, what did he like to do or read when he wasn’t producing olympians ? I always thought that he was the most interesting coach, not just the best coach, and I am sure many others will agree, especially the older guys here who can recognize it.

Obviously, experience and drive like charlie’s … That builds a man up. So I only ask what I can get answers to :slight_smile:

I loved Speed Trap in that manner… and I wish Charlie the Human (biography?) will be written someday…

Silencer

From memory and what was posted on here, Charlie had an interest in history. It appeared that much of his posts were made with historian perspective. He approached coaching from a holistic point of view.

I think your question might bring up some emotional memories.

Thanks Sharmer ! I remember your posts as well :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Silencer;259533]Hi folks long time no see :slight_smile: Hi Angela !

The more I progress through my career and studies/writings the more I find myself reminiscing the late Mr. Francis. What first started as a love for his professionalism in the field is now much more, for the only reason he could write certain things the way he did in his materials, must be rooted way beyond fitness, or at least in a different style to what we see in 2019.

I was wondering what Charlie’s library looked like, what did he like to do or read when he wasn’t producing olympians ? I always thought that he was the most interesting coach, not just the best coach, and I am sure many others will agree, especially the older guys here who can recognize it.

Obviously, experience and drive like charlie’s … That builds a man up. So I only ask what I can get answers to :slight_smile:

I loved Speed Trap in that manner… and I wish Charlie the Human (biography?) will be written someday…

[b]
Silencer, thank you for the question.

Charlie was an interesting human without any question.

He loved fast cars and read a lot about cars. Remember, he had an Aston Martin and sold it to fund the first trip to EU for the athletes. He worked part time in a near by garage to afford the tune ups for the car. When I met him in 1988, he was driving a blue ( his favorite color) Nissan Supra. It was in mint condition and we were hit one day heading to track and the car was a right off. It was a cool car. Around the time he got sick, he went out and bought me Mercedes SL convertible for my birthday. I did not want or need the car and told him he should take it. About a month later he came home with the car he had picked out for himself. An AMG Black S50 sedan. He absolutely loved that car. It made me chuckle because the birthday car for me was really about laying a foundation for getting me to accept the car he really wanted. ( note to the men reading this, it was not a terrible strategy to get your wife something cool so she doesn’t bitch about what you might really want )[/b]

[b]His library consequently held many books about cars and they were either fast cars or beautiful cars or rare cars. Charlie loved watching some of the car shows on television. And he was a huge Formula One fan. Charlie was not a morning person but he would get up on Sunday mornings to watch F1 racing.

Charlie’s father was a fine artist and a former professional ice dancer. Consequently, Charlie grew up around and surrounded by a lot of art. He loved looking at art books, going to museums and browsing through books about design and architecture.

Charlie studied Political Science at Stanford and loved history. His mom’s father was a history department head at the Naval Academy in Annapolis Maryland. He read and studied the speeches and writings of Churchill.

I’ve not taken a photo of the comedy books but Charlie loved to laugh and he watched a lot of Monty Python and could not stop laughing at the Three Stooges growing up. Back to School ( Rodney Dangerfield) and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ( newer version with Steve Martin and Michael Cain, but original is very good too) were hilarious movies we both loved.

Another category of books Charlie loved to read and look at with great interests were books about wealth and the very rich. Charlie had an eye for the best and gravitated towards beautiful things. Clothing, furniture, buildings and art.

I’ve posted some of the books he loved on the charlie francis.com facebook page. [/b]

Here are the photos I have posted on the cf.com fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/charliefrancisdotcom/photos/rpp.678504172290126/1497865057020696/?type=3&theater

Angela, thank you so much for this writing.
I smiled through every word you wrote now :slight_smile:

Do you still have your car ?

I sold “my” car, ;), right away and hung onto his car. I really liked it. It was fun and cool but it’s really easy to speed in cars like that. If I had of had a garage I might of kept it and driven on occasion. It really was a very comfortable and the technology for that time was incredible.

I smiled writing it too. It brings back really nice memories.