Charlie Francis Training System instead of the usual

When setting up conditioning programs for people who are not sprinters but are looking to achieve a high degree of fitness and conditioning, instead of the usual 20-30 minutes of target heart rate training 3 times a week, could a somewhat modified CFTS work more effectively? I think so. Any thoughts by all of you out there in cyber land.

I think most fitness trainees would get more from a tempo session than an aerobics class. Medicine ball throws and sprints might be a nice alternative to weights for short cycles.

T-mag had a great article based (I assume) on Charlie’s input. It had to do with ten 25 yard sprints and a progression. Most beginners who CAN sprint without dropping a main bearing would benefit from it I think. Clearly Charlie is the man to address this, but the article was informative AND it had that magic ingredient which is found in all examples of genius–simplicity.

That article was not with Charlie’s input. The author seems to have written it after reading Charlie’s book and talking to Poliquin. It does use the short to long principle, by adding distance to the sprints each workout, but the number of reps is high and the rest inervals are very short.

The protocol in the article is presented as a replacement for a lower body lifting session. While the protocol is obviously not intended for sprinters, I still would not recommend that protocol to a fitness trainee because of the acute fatigue it is sure to produce in the hamstrings. To someone not adapted to sprinting, it’s asking for an injury.

If anyone is interested in reading it plug “50 yard dash” into the T-mag search engine.

one of the best things you can learn from the CFTS for non-sprinters is the high/low intensity.

hard day followed by an easy day. you can even in a way do that with weights.

Originally posted by Flash
That article was not with Charlie’s input. The author seems to have written it after reading Charlie’s book and talking to Poliquin. It does use the short to long principle, by adding distance to the sprints each workout, but the number of reps is high and the rest inervals are very short.

The protocol in the article is presented as a replacement for a lower body lifting session. While the protocol is obviously not intended for sprinters, I still would not recommend that protocol to a fitness trainee because of the acute fatigue it is sure to produce in the hamstrings. To someone not adapted to sprinting, it’s asking for an injury.

If anyone is interested in reading it plug “50 yard dash” into the T-mag search engine.
Wow! They made it seem like they were sitting down and having a china cup half full of International Coffee while chatting with Charlie about sprinting.

Originally posted by t-bone
one of the best things you can learn from the CFTS for non-sprinters is the high/low intensity.

hard day followed by an easy day. you can even in a way do that with weights.

…not to mention the grouping together of high intensity elements and the vertical integration of training components.