Charlie Francis has died

Damn, sorry to hear this, I haven’t posted on this board in a while and I just found out about it today. Nature is cruel at times.

That’s a good question. The lifts may have been included for more general reasons (i.e. CNS stimulation) as part of the big picture. At the time, their block starts were very good and they demonstrated exceptional rate of force delivery in other activities (i.e. med-ball throws and jumps). So it could be argued that Olympic lifts were not necessary for these particular athletes.

Just my little experience today:my athletes performed wonderfully, and I told them that my discovery of Charli ewebsite and writings in 2001 is what started all for me as a coach.before, I referred to sprinters like those who were used to get strains, pulls, and muscle tears constantly…till they break at young age and they are gone…Thank you Charlie again.

I have a DVD of Charlie talking at SWIS.

I don’t know if that’s the same talk everyone has been mentioning, but I thought it was great. I learned a lot from it. I’m not one of those people who needs something illustrated with Power Point to find it worth my attention. I’m not saying anyone else here is, either, but a lot of people in this world are. Clarity is always good, but Charlie always seemed extremely clear to me. And even if he weren’t, if Charlie’s talking, I’ll do what I need to do to follow it.

Charlie started out by saying, “It looks like a lot of people are interested in what I’m going to say. I’m kind of curious myself.” He was always funny.

There are so few clear, independent thinkers in the world. The type of people who say things that are extremely obvious, but they’re only obvious after these people say them. Before these people say the obvious things, everyone else is “often wrong, never in doubt.”

It’s terrible to lose someone like that.

I was once involved in a discussion on here, and I made a few posts, and someone asked Charlie a question, and Charlie told the questioner to read one of my posts. A very, very small thing, but man, was I happy about it. I told a few friends about it.

I never met Charlie, and I’m not in track, but I definitely feel a loss. My sympathies to those who knew him.

“I never met Charlie, and I’m not in track, but I definitely feel a loss. My sympathies to those who knew him.” ( unknowon)

“Sounds like you knew him better than you think.
And he only spoke once at the conference in Toronto.” Ange

Ange,
that would be nice but don’t feel you have to do everything all at once and by yourself. You have been through an awful lot lately so take your time and ensure you and James are getting (and asking for) support.

Hear Hear John.

RIP. I’ve learned many things for here even though im still very slow.

Derek, I remember being at York with some college football players I trained. Charlie made me do all the med ball work with them. I am a pretty explosive person and he said to us all " You know, Marion throws the med ball further than all of you". Man, what a reality check. Always good with a quip that guy. All I know is we will never see another Charlie Francis in our lifetimes. Let’s all be thankful for the time he spent helping us become better at what we do. I know he is personally responsible for a few hundred thousand in my earnings over the past decade.

Yes - I remember her med-ball throws well. I have them on video somewhere. Need to dig that up. She threw the ball once and I turned to Charlie and said, “How heavy is that ball?”, expecting him to say 3kg (7lbs). He said it was 5kg (11lbs) as it flew across the infield.

I asked her sheepishly, “So, I guess you are close to dunking a basketball?” She looked at me like I was an idiot and said, “Oh yeah, I can dunk. I could dunk it in high school. There were about 3-4 girls in our class that could dunk.”

So, you can guess that I felt thoroughly emasculated after that day of training.

Thanks for that quote. Wise words for future coaches.

Please do, and post them if you have rights to do so. I would like to see this.

CHarlie was actually the best person I ever saw do the explosive throws and put people to shame. But he also thought Marion was and I am sure still is a super talent.
If our sport had any sense at all and sadly they do not they might have thought she is the perfect poster person for track and field.
She was polite, thoughtful, respectful and curious.

Yes - I do remember Charlie grabbing the medicine ball in 2003 after watching a few throws by Tim and Marion. He threw that thing pretty far with no warm-up and wearing a pair of blue jeans. On another occasion, Tim and Marion were doing squats in the weight room and Charlie jumped in - again with no warm-up - and put 275 lbs on his back and squatted it a few times to a healthy depth… again, in blue jeans.

I just found out about this now and this is a great loss. My condolences to Charlie’s family and friends. I have certainly learnt a lot from my time in this forum and will continue to visit here.

Aren’t those jeans like the denim bench shirts and squat suits. Haha. I always thought Charlie was a big guy for a sprinter. Pretty tall. See, all those years of training stuck with him. 10.1 100m in the early 70’s was hauling ass.

Ange, the press still demonizes her. When Charlie passed, not too many papers tried to make not so subtle inferences. Tim obviously turned out to be a bit of an idiot. She has paid a heavy price for her misdeeds. I love how the average person who drives drunk or cheats on their taxes, or is unfaithful to their spouse sits back and takes some moral issue with everyone who gets caught in sport. The problem is common sense isn’t to common. She should be applauded for being a good person, for paying her debt for her wrongs. Just like happened to Charlie, these same people who know nothing of the person, sit on their pedestal and judge those who they have no business judging.

Sorry and not wanting to cause offence but Marion may be super talented and a really nice person but she broke the rules (whether they be right or wrong) and most damningly lost all credibility (as has Landis etc) over the way she handled things. Big kudos has to go to Charlie over the way he handled himself throughout the Dubin enquiry and afterwards, quite a contrast.

obviously has a heavy price. It’s really hard for an athlete to be honest. Way too much judgement by people who know zero about high level sports. I agree that Charlie handled it much better, but Marion was likely thinking about all she would lose by admitting guilt. Charlie was apparently too honest for the tastes of Sport Canada.