Charlie-Football

Charlie,

I thought I would continue Numba56 “Problem” thread over here in the Other Sports category to see if we can catch the Football members out there.

Could you give a yay or nay on this pre-season program:

A. Distances in a pre-season program: OL-Big DL

Monday:

Workout 1: Speed: 300-400 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: Strength:

Tuesday:

Football Game Simulation: 20-40 min
Tempo Runs: 300-1000 yds. approx. total distance

Wednesday:

Workout 1: Speed: 250-350 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: optional Strength

Thursday: can be a light day

Workout 1:

Tempo Runs: 0-300 yds. approx. total distance

Friday:

Workout 1: Speed: 200-300 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: Strength

Saturday: must be done if Thursday was a light day

Tempo Runs: 300-900 yds. approx. total distance

B. Distances in a pre-season program: Other positions

Monday:

Workout 1: Speed: 600-800 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: Strength:

Tuesday:

Football Game Simulation: 30-60 min
Tempo Runs: 0-1800 yds. approx. total distance

Wednesday:

Workout 1: Speed: 500-700 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: (optional) Strength

Thursday: can be a light day

Football Game Simulation: 30-60 min.
Tempo Runs: 0-1000 yds. approx. total distance

Friday:

Workout 1: Speed: 400-600 yds. total distance approx.
Workout 2: Strength

Saturday: must be done if Thursday was a light day

Football Game Simulation: (30-60 min)
Tempo Runs: 0-1500 yds. approx. total distance

Note: Tempo Runs that indicate 0 yards may apply to receivers who have run patterns for 60 minutes or so and may not be able to do any Tempo that day.

Comments from Football Members appreciated,
Football Coach

A couple of questions:

1. What is “football game simulation”? Is this done at full intensity? Running patterns for recievers, include contact, blocking, runs for backs?

2. How do you break up the speed workout distances? I like to do short speed work for football training (rarely anything over 60m) and the majority of it at 20- 30m. Also favor accelerations over top speed work.

Same questions as xlr8, here’s what I was thinking

Day 1-Acc. Workout(Up to 500m of speed work)

1. 6-8x30m
  2. 5-6x50m
    Weightroom-Limit Upper
  3. Form Of Bench Press
  4. Form of Pull-Up/Chin-Up/Pull-Down

Day 2-Tempo
1000-1200m of tempo

Day 3-Off or Tempo
500-600m of tempo

Day 4-Max V(Although not the most important thing, football players do spend a lot of time running upright)

1. 4-6xflying 10-20m
  2. 4-6x60m
    Weight Room
  3. Deadlift Variation
  4. Full Squat

Day 5-Tempo
1000-1200m tempo

Day 6-Off or GPP

Day 7-Off

To me this takes care of all issues at hand, elasticity for agility, speed development, Max Strength development, conditioning, and adjustments can be made in rep ranges in order to gain muscle mass if needed(use rep ranged of 6 in weight room). I also though route running could replace tempo for skilled positions, done to focus on making good cuts, proper distances, footwork, etc…

Numba56 and Xlr8,

Yes, Football Game Simulation is what you thought minus the contact.

Distances on the Speed Day:

1. O-Line and Big D-Linemen (I put Rush Ends in the LB category) predominantly run distances of 10-30 yds with total distance per workout = 200-400 yds.

2. Other positions predominantly run distances of 20-60 yds with total distance per workout = approx 400-800 yds.

And of course I remind the players (more the coaches) about rest intervals. If you run a 4.5 there is no point in having a rest interval so short that you are running 4.8 in the speed session.

Distances on the Tempo Day:

1. O-Line and Big D-Linemen predominantly run distances of 30-50 yds with total distance per workout = approx. 750-1000 yds.

2. Other positions predominantly run distances of 40-100 yds with Total Distance per workout = 1000-1800 yds.

Football Coach

I wish I had someone like you to tell this to our coaches!

I actually like how you arrange your pre-season training setup, and I might actually adopt it as my own in these last 3 weeks leading up to hell week.

I have a couple of questions though. When you say that receivers have been running routes for 60 minutes then they dont have to do tempo, wouldnt this be just like having high intensity runs on consecutive days, or would routes not be considered very stressful on the CNS?

Also, when you do run tempo, would 20x40 yards at 70% with minimal rest (say 15 seconds between each run) be an acceptable protocol for a receiver or would that be too taxing? I ask because I want to be able to increase my lactic tolerance threshold withou having to devote a CNS intensive day to doing this.

Mister C

Game Simulation and 2 high intensity days in a row:

1. It can be an issue particularly at the skill positions. However, for the most part, I emphasis for the most part, you don’t reach top speed on the field. I believe the greatest stress to the CNS comes at the start of the play and during change of direction (or during contact). That’s why those endless agility drills that coaches put the players through knocks the shit out of them.

2. You must have a plan for the week, month, year but it is imperative that you adjust it according to your training status. For example, I have found, particularly in the pre-season, that many of the players are fine working their legs 3x over 2 weeks and some are good with working legs 1x week. This helps save their legs. I also find that 2 Speed sessions per week can be sufficient. If you don’t have the legs for a scheduled workout you can use the time for catching drills. In addition, your upper body weights should be maintainence now. Listen to your body.

Tempo Runs:

1. I believe you should be running somewhere in the 65-75% zone. If you are running faster than 65-75% shorten your rest periods. If you are running slower than 65-75% lengthen your rest periods.

Training Camp and In-season Survival:

1. Rehydrate, eat right (protein) and power nap, sleep, power nap, sleep …

2. You can go out with the boys when the school year starts. And even then remember that nothing good happens after midnight - GO HOME!

Hope this helps,
Football Coach

Yes, that was going to be my comment as well. It is very hard in the skill positions to fit everything in. After a certain point, it is only minimally useful to go out and run patterns at less than full speed and can even be counter productive. And even though it is unlikely that a football player will reach top speed during a play, the acceleration component involved in change of direction work can be quite stressful from a CNS, muscular and joint perspective.

1. You must have a plan for the week, month, year but it is imperative that you adjust it according to your training status. For example, I have found, particularly in the pre-season, that many of the players are fine working their legs 3x over 2 weeks and some are good with working legs 1x week. This helps save their legs. I also find that 2 Speed sessions per week can be sufficient. If you don’t have the legs for a scheduled workout you can use the time for catching drills. In addition, your upper body weights should be maintainence now. Listen to your body.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I’m personally struggling with this because I’m having a hard time fitting everything in with the way practice schedule works out. I could get workouts in before practice, but I’m never sure if we are going to be going hard and hitting or going easy and working “skills.” The last thing I want to do is get involved in a tough practice when I just did heavy weights or fast track work! The coaches seem to just do what they feel for that day and it makes it difficult for me to individually plan my work.

[/QUOTE]
Training Camp and In-season Survival:

1. Rehydrate, eat right (protein) and power nap, sleep, power nap, sleep …

2. You can go out with the boys when the school year starts. And even then remember that nothing good happens after midnight - GO HOME!

Hope this helps,
Football Coach[/QUOTE]

Good advice right there… I have double-days starting on monday 9:00-11:00 and 5:00-7:00 til Aug 10th. Lookin forward to it. We’ll see how the back holds up…