Charlie and Combine

i agree, i would go no shorter then 20 but perfer 30+.

Good idea. He said call him at night but I agree waiting to summer would be better.

Can you post some more sample plans of his as you were describing?

There is some variation but many used a similar model from what others told me.

they will all tell you that bc they have to use the same program esp the ones that are franchise. the setup you listed i have never seen, never seen them do speed work 3 days per week.

what if you had a mike hart type rb from a HIT program and only had 6 weeks to work with him what would be your approach?

Ramp up leg strength/power ASAP! API usually says this about athletes they get from Penn State.

As far as Velocity goes I have a buddy who loved his experience there, his training was as follows:

example
week 1
mon - squats
tues - upper
wed - plyos
thurs - upper
fri - squats

week 2
mon - plyos
tues - upper
wed - squats
thurs - upper
fri - plyos

i never see them during hard core lower body stuff at ap.

Well I’ve read that they do and I’ve seen them do max effort bench presses. I’m not sure whether they use OL’s or not but their top strength guy Richesson is USAW certified or something like that.

Do you know anything in depth about Romo training with Pfaff?

I have no reason to believe that the large number of SPDs who said they used the same template were lying.

I was told(since I could not obviously be at multiple facilities to verify personally) that a number of them used the same system.

Most athletes elected not to train speed 3x wk nor COD 3x wk but it was offered.

if you say so, i have spoken to over 20 diff locations and have friends who work for velocity and they all put there own lil touch to the workouts but keep the general velocity setup which is 4 weight days, 2 speed and 2 cod.

Fine, that’s the experience of people you know. I had heard of none, previously, who had the set-up you indicate.

I worked at one for about five months, visited three of the facilities and spoke with about 40 spcs and over 10 spds.

Yes there was variation to some of the workouts as there often had to be based upon the skill level of those in the classes. Still, most said they used the template I indicated.

http://www.velocitysp.com/southbay/nfl_combine_training

Just what is in Romo’s biography he talks about a standard 6x200 ext/int tempo workout that he did with Pfaff that Dan didn’t require him to do but he decided to do anyway. That is a standard early season Dan workout. Talks a lot about the therapy they did for him.

He speaks very highly of Dan in the book.

Ya what was amazing to me is the ability to diagnose issues so quickly. Remi’s program actually looked pretty good for a football player.

Pffaf or Remi? I don’t remember Romo mentioning Pfaff in his book (I could just be forgetting).

He does and is quite emphatic with regard to Pfaff. Left the book at work. I’ll pull the page number and shoot it to you tomorrow. Just a few pages.

He specifically says that Dan Pfaff is the best speed coach on this planet.

Starts on page 217.

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

“Justin Gatlin, a gold medal winner in the 100-yard dash in the 2004 Olympics, also worked out. The former UT track and field star ran a 4.42 40-yard dash on Wednesday.”

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/SPORTS/803130320/1006