Charles Poliquin

Any thoughts on Charles top 7.

Is that for Yin or Yang dominant athletes?

Be nice…

I find this hard to believe.

Ask TheSilencer his thoughts on that. He is National Dunk champion like 3yrs in a row and is adamant that Vertical height is Quad Dom. And looking at his legs at the time, its hard to argue.

But im sure, its also possible to be Posterior Dom and still be a good jumper.

Each to his own.

Also ask verchoshansky…

Simple common sense will tell you that the quads of course contribute more than 5%. Kelly bagget says that a 2 footed vertical jump is a quad dominant activity. However when jumping off one leg then the emphasis shifts more to the hip extensors.
What do you all think of the snatch grip Deadlift off a podium as his no 1 choice for posterior chain strength?
Also he says “Do not raise the hips prematurely, as it will shift the emphasis to the glutes and away from the hamstrings” I would have thought the opposite?

Why? if Charlie started spouting a bunch of utter gibberish, you wouldn’t pay attention to what he said

Why does Poliquin get a pass when 99% of what he says these days is total bullshit meant to sell worthless supplements to gullible athletes?

I agree with the SDL being the number 1 movement for the post chain. When following Charlie program SDL may not be the number 1 post chain movement, I may lean towards rev hypers, pull through etc.

What makes you say that 99% of what he says is bullshit?

I think if 10 very bright coaches/trainers were to be polled on posterior chain exercises, all 10 would have 75% of these exercises on their list.

There is no magic to Charles’ top 7.

Thank you, everyone has there fav guru…

I attended many of CP’s seminars in the late
90’s and early 2000’s, including a vertical jump/sprint seminar. My understanding of the strength training process jumped to a whole new level.

Would you mind giving us a brief sum up of most important topics?

I don’t understand how it is possible to put specific percentages on the role of a muscle on a movement.

Being that it was 10 years ago, I might have to search high and low for my notes. I’d be interested in a 2010 seminar to see how things may have evolved.

On a general note, I do know he was critical of NOT doing any pulling, whether olympic or dead variation, from the floor a la Mike Boyle circa 2000.

I don’t know where the EXACT numbers came from nor would I make it a point of contention. Focus on the big picture rather than debating the percentages.

Sorry, but I’m fed up with all this pseudo-scientific quantifications without any meaning at all. And it’s not even the exact number the problem, but the (missing) justification of a quantification (I like ending in -ation) without context.
Poliquin is surely entertaining, but throwing numbers like he’s doing here does not support his point.

That is why I try to focus on the big picture which, in this case, centers around exercise selection.

I hear you about the throwing numbers around.

I believe Mel Siff, upon hearing the buzz about optimal maximal strength ratios, commmented that the ratios can’t be set in stone because they will change WHILE an athlete moves through a certain exercise.

Stu McGill commented recently on Mike Boyle’s assertion that a RFESS would cut the load on the spine in half. He essentially said it wasn’t true. Just another example of a coach making assumptions and throwing numbers around.

Sorry but what is RFESS???

Thanks

Rear foot elevated split squat aka Bulgarian split squat.

I agree, because if the quads were only 5% of vertical jump, then why the great upper quad developement on sprinters, when sprinting is supposed to be even less quadricep % contribution that a two leg vertical jump?